Kessler goes pro

bigbird

3 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I would much rather Keesler hone/develop skills dominating at AU rather than G League.  But that's the way it is now, I can accept that. 

I’m sure Kessler would much rather develop those skills with a guaranteed 3 year contract that pays him at least 6M. Plus getting to play against better players. 

• Like 3

He also looked perfectly fine under the rim against Oscar multiple times in that game. A guy who might be DPOY if not for Kessler. He’s not nearly as bad around the rim as some people have made him out to be because of that bad last game. He’s above average at least (and there’s enough flashes for someone to not view his finishing as a complete negative) 

• Thanks 1

Congrats too Kessler and I hope he gets drafted into a great situation. I agree he needs to develop more and while i would prefer he do it here i can understand the decision to do it while getting paid. I was really hoping he'd get that big NIL deal and stick around another season. Having him to anchor our defense while bringing in some better better guard play would have been really fun to watch!

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He also looked perfectly fine under the rim against Oscar multiple times in that game. A guy who might be DPOY if not for Kessler. He’s not nearly as bad around the rim as some people have made him out to be because of that bad last game. He’s above average at least (and there’s enough flashes for someone to not view his finishing as a complete negative) 

Although filled out well, Oscar is a bit short at the C position. Someone as physical as Oscar with closer to Kess's height would have given him problems.

1 hour ago, zeroforwinger said:

I’m sure Kessler would much rather develop those skills with a guaranteed 3 year contract that pays him at least 6M. Plus getting to play against better players. 

Agree, and I can fully admit that I'm always being selfish when I want AU players to stick around versus trying the NBA.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Although filled out well, Oscar is a bit short at the C position. Someone as physical as Oscar with closer to Kess's height would have given him problems.

Eh maybe, but he had 3 inches and about 20ish pounds on the guy who got the best of him in the Miami game. I agree that height is more of a problem for him than strength, but I think it’s confidence more than either. He seems to intrinsically go for softer finishes when there’s man in his face, even if it’s just some short guys leaping at him when he’s collecting a rebound 

He needs some more meanness (and strength) 

• Like 2

I think Walker is every bit as good as Bogut and Bogut lasted quite a while in the league. 

• Like 1

I’d love for him to stay … but in the big picture of auburn bball program, 2 first rounders this year is probably better.

kess, jabari, chuma, Thor, okoro & cooper all drafted in the last few years.  That’s a hell of a team.  Bruce can sell that in any living room, plus sec titles, tv exposure, exciting player friendly scheme, nil contracts, national player awards, #1 ranking and ncaa tourneys … Plus one thing no school has … the Auburn Family.

bring on next season!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Kessler is exactly what a team like the nets or golden state or someone like that. He can't carry a team or anything like that but he could be a missing piece of a championship team.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think he’ll be an end of lottery/right outside of lottery type guy. If that eval holds, just not much value for him to return

Always feels great to produce another first round caliber player!

This is your best post in months!!! Less Desi Sills and Tom Crean love and more love shown to people who actually deserve praise! lol

If you are a first round lock you go. Simple as that. He got the feedback he wanted to hear and he is going to stay in the draft simple as that. He should get drafted somewhere in the twenties. Maybe higher if he flashes more of that 3 point shot that he did in high school in work outs leading up to the draft. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tshiebwe coming back to UK and Castleton stayed at Fla

On 4/4/2022 at 1:16 PM, fishepa said:

Agree, and I can fully admit that I'm always being selfish when I want AU players to stick around versus trying the NBA.  

It's not exactly unselfish to want a player to go to the NBA early, either, though, because it's not impossible that we could have two lottery picks in the same year this season. That could translate into better things for Auburn than even one or both of Kessler and Jabari sticking around, because it lets the rising high schoolers know that Bruce is likely to get them to the league. Okoro went from a mid-30s ranking to a #5 overall pick (or whatever his actual pick value was) primarily because he showed out defensively so much, and defense is a hallmark of Bruce Pearl basketball. The NBA knowing that players get that kind of coaching is a serious boon for our ability to attract high quality guys as well as put them in on the biggest stage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In a couple of the Mock Drafts I see Kessler going to the Mavs with the 26th pick. This would be ideal for Kessler. The Mavs are in desperate need of an interior defender and Kessler on the Pick and Roll with Donic would be very hard to stop. If Kessler can add a consistent 3pt shot to his game this would be perfect fit for both Kessler and the Mavs.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In a couple of the Mock Drafts I see Kessler going to the Mavs with the 26th pick. This would be ideal for Kessler. The Mavs are in desperate need of an interior defender and Kessler on the Pick and Roll with Donic would be very hard to stop. If Kessler can add a consistent 3pt shot to his game this would be perfect fit for both Kessler and the Mavs.  

Would be gigantic

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Kessler was invited to the Draft tonight.  Hopefully that means something good, but I hope this does not set him up for embarrassment like the NFL Draft can do to undrafted players in the first few rounds.

I just hope Walker goes first round. It's not quite the two lottery picks in the same draft that I was hoping for a few months ago, but it's still pretty awesome, especially if Jabari does go #1, like everyone seems to think he will.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

It looks like Kessler was invited to the Draft tonight.  Hopefully that means something good, but I hope this does not set him up for embarrassment like the NFL Draft can do to undrafted players in the first few rounds.

Presumably he got a commitment from a team. But yeah, fair chance he’s the last man standing in that room.