Tigers add off-field staffer

aubiefifty

Tigers to add off-field staffer

ByKeith Niebuhr
2 minutes

The Auburn football staff is growing by one.

Sunday night, Miami-Ohio director of player personnel Logan Meyer tweeted out the following:

"Thank you @CoachHarsin @S_Ruzic for this opportunity…. War. Damn. Eagle."

The note seemed to imply Auburn was bringing in a new off-field staffer. The first person Meyer tagged was Tigers coach Bryan Harsin. The other was firector of player personnel Steven Ruzic. Both men Re-Tweeted Meyer's post.

After checking with sources close to the Auburn program, we can confirm Meyer will in fact join the staff. And soon.

According to our intel, Meyer will assist the Tigers in recruiting and player personnel. He's expected to start his new job later this week.

13COMMENTS

Sunday night, Meyer changed his Twitter page to reflect his new position.

Although Miami-Ohio is his most recent stop, Meyer previously worked at Cincinnati, which has become one of the top programs in college football. Said a trusted source with knowledge of Meyer's background: "He was at Cincinnati before Miami, so he helped recruit and build them to where they are now."

">247Sports
  • Thanks 1

Various sites saying he's going to be our "portal guru"..... talk about being thrown in the fire considering what and how many we need from the portal

• Like 2

Quite the support staff Harsin has built for himself. If it results in AU getting some of these transfers then i'm all for it!

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Quite the support staff Harsin has built for himself.

It's brilliant, build a department that does 90% of the recruiting legwork so that you can focus 90% on building the program

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agreed.  Consider there are roughly 10,000 kids on D1 football schollys and over 2000 entered the portal since August, by full year probably closer to 2500.  These arent high school potential, they have already made the grade and gotten a scholly and are hoping to upgrade.  Hopefully this fella has a full department under him.  

A side note, there are 53 players on an active NFL roster, LA Rams currently have 20 free agents.

You may not like the portal, I dont, but you better learn to dance because it is the future, along with big bucks for NIL which I hope we embrace as well with a proper organization to negotiate "contracts" for 85 kids, and if you dont think they deserve pay, then why do we have them on scholly in the first place, cause if we dont pay them, they will walk.  We should be looking at someone with a pedigree who has worked with Jimmy Sexton or the likes, cause that is who will be sitting across the table from us.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, trinidad tiger said:

u may not like the portal, I dont, but you better learn to dance because it is the future, along with big bucks for NIL which I hope we embrace as well with a proper organization to negotiate "contracts" for 85 kids, and if you dont think they deserve pay, then why do we have them on scholly in the first place, cause if we dont pay them, they will walk

Ran out of breath reading this, but it’s true. 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, gravejd said:

Quite the support staff Harsin has built for himself. If it results in AU getting some of these transfers then i'm all for it!

Amazing what a leader is capable of when he hires people, delegates responsibilities to them, and then trusts them to do their jobs. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Amazing what a leader is capable of when he hires people, delegates responsibilities to them, and then trusts them to do their jobs. 

Look out!!

Here it comes!

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Leaders also realize when it’s time to move on to someone else when not getting what is needed/expected.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I haven't seen anything "amazing" from CBH yet. With all the support staff he has hired you'd think we'd be set but new roles are coming to life each week! I'm not even sure what a "portal guru" is......i guess its just someone who keeps track of the names as they go in and out. Maybe does initial look into names when added to see if they meet whatever criteria Harsin sets down for new players? 

Anyway...hope this leads to us filling some holes. And Harsin is able to hire as many people as needed to put a winning product on the field. 

17 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I haven't seen anything "amazing" from CBH yet.

That's fair, but...

17 minutes ago, gravejd said:

With all the support staff he has hired you'd think we'd be set but new roles are coming to life each week!

...this should tell us just how empty a cupboard he inherited. 

18 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'm not even sure what a "portal guru" is......i guess its just someone who keeps track of the names as they go in and out.

I'm guessing that anyone in that position worth their salt will have a good feel for names that will be in the portal before they're officially in it. Also, I'm guessing that person will know exactly what CBH wants out of the portal and will be scouring rosters for players that might fit the bill. They might be keeping an eye on coaching changes, recent and imminent. They might coordinate with NIL folks to get offers ready. They might vet certain players to make sure there aren't any giant red flags. I can imagine a lot of responsibilities that are better handled by off-field staff so that coaches can coach. 

This is one of the reasons I think CBH will be great hire assuming he is given enough time to get his plan in place. Since Day 1 when he arrived he has understood that recruiting is the lifeblood of a winning program. He arrived and realized that we did not have anyplace near the number of people helping to recruit. He has been assembling a heck of a staff and this is one more piece where he recognizes how important the Portal is.

He has shown he is a good X & O guy but many said he has no experience recruiting in the SEC.  Under Gus to much of the recruiting was left up to the coaches. It appears that under CBH a lot of recruiting will be done behind the scenes on evaluation, initial contact, getting to the recruits early and letting the coaches interface with kids we have a shot at and then the coaches can seal the deal.

The volume of high quality kids that are showing up on campus this year from both our normal recruiting areas and newer areas is a sign that the first phase is working.  Now we have to find a way to seal the deal by getting them to commit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1