Cadillac Talking About Tank Bigsby

toddc

Williams says he feels better than ever about Tank Bigsby

92 minutes ago

Auburn Defensive Linemen Do Spring Training Drills

AUBURN, Alabama–Auburn’s running backs coach, Carnell 'Cadillac' Williams, said he was concerned back in December when there was speculation that his star player, Tank Bigsby, might not be back for a third season with the Tigers. However , with the team in its final week of spring drills, Williams said he feels better than ever about the running back.

“From a freshman to a sophomore to now, watching him grow as a person, just his maturity level has gotten a lot better,” the coach said. “He was a little immature, but you know he is a smart guy, but has gotten a lot better. He is starting to hone in on the little things because like I tell him, ‘If you can’t take care of the little things, man, you will never get to the big things.’

“The good Lord has already blessed him with ability, now it’s his part to take care of the little things, and everything else will take care of itself so don’t skip the process,” Williams said. "Don’t take those things for granted.”

Asked about his level of concern had been about the possibility that Bigsby would not return to the Auburn team for the 2022 season, Williams said, “Honestly, when all the reports came out that he was thinking about transferring or going, first I kind of wanted to understand why, the whole why behind it, but with me it was just about with him. 'Is this something you really want to do?'

“I think at times these kids have a lot of people putting stuff in their head, a lot of people telling them X, Y, Z, a lot of people pulling at them,” the coach pointed out. “I think when it all came back down to it, Tank Bigsby loves Auburn. He loves being here.

“He has made a name for himself, and I truly think it was something that he never really, really wanted to do. I just think a lot of times the outside noise can have an effect on you, but I just think when it all came said and done, he felt like this place was the best place for him, and I truly think it is.”

As a sophomore Bigsby carried the ball for 1,099 yards and 10 touchdowns. He averaged 4.9 yards per rush and caught 21 passes for 184 yards.

Williams said he believes that his relationship with Bigsby has been a good one. “Honestly, even when everything was going on, we were still in a good place. We were still communicating. My players know, not only Tank Bigsby, but all my guys in my room know, man, that I am going to keep it real with them.

“At the end of the day, I want them to do what is best for them, but at the same time, I am going to be honest with you, and a lot of times it may not be what they want to hear, but this is what you need to hear, that this is the right thing.”

Williams added, “I truly feel like our, through this spring, through these past two years, our bond, our relationship just gets better and better.”

10977091.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Tank Bigsby works through a drill that focuses on ball security. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Asked what he is expecting from Bigsby as a junior, Williams, an All-American running back for the undefeated 2004 Tigers, said, “My expectation for him is to be the best version of himself–to go 1-0–is to keep things simple. I think a lot of times a guy as talented as him, like I said, he’s got a lot of people pulling at him, a lot of people in his head so my message to him this offseason was, ‘Man, be where your feet are. Lock in, be about your craft, think like a pro. Develop. Watch film. Grow as a person. Listen more. Don’t talk as much. Work your ass off.’

“Like, those are some of the things that are taken for granted, but like I told him, those are the things that are going to sustain you and your success,” the coach said. “Those are the things that are going to get you where you want to go so you trusting the process because I truly feel like the success is in the work. You have got to put in the work. You have got to do the work each and every day, and like I told him, you need to be more consistent.

2COMMENTS

“You need to be more consistent in the weight room. You need to be more consistent on the practice field. Be more consistent with everything because in life, the more consistent you are, the better habits you develop, the more successful you’re going to be.”

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

• toddc changed the title to Cadillac Talking About Tank Bigsby

Coach Cadillac with the love!

I'm all misty eyed.  

Who wouldn't want to play for this guy?!?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

They have got to find a way to get Sean Jackson in the game. I know there are two studs in front of him but he is a load. 

Short yardage should be automatic!

38 minutes ago, toddc said:

Short yardage should be automatic!

Should...with this line, we've hit like 0.002396% on anything less than 2 yards to go. Our QB sneak goes backwards.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, maryland tiger said:

They have got to find a way to get Sean Jackson in the game. I know there are two studs in front of him but he is a load. 

The 2 RB’s in front of him are a load too. Imagine how much better they’d be if their OL could actually push defenders backwards 

1 hour ago, maryland tiger said:

Feel like ppl are going to be wildly disappointed in his usage this year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

BuT hE'S rEaL BIg

The weird fixation certain generations have with 2 yards and a cloud of dust type football is really weird.

• Like 1