Putin loving Trumpers

TexasTiger

Thankfully, my admittedly anecdotal evidence so far amongst a pretty good swath of Trump supporters, is that this is actually rare.  Every Trump person I know, or that I can see through social media feeds and such, is horrified by Putin's actions and firmly in the pro-Ukraine camp.  Whatever sympathies they may have had for Putin before, they've largely evaporated in the face of this invasion.

56 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Thankfully, my admittedly anecdotal evidence so far amongst a pretty good swath of Trump supporters, is that this is actually rare.  Every Trump person I know, or that I can see through social media feeds and such, is horrified by Putin's actions and firmly in the pro-Ukraine camp.  Whatever sympathies they may have had for Putin before, they've largely evaporated in the face of this invasion.

Agreed. I haven't spoken with anyone who supported Trump that isn't angry and horrified by what's going on.

I will admit, though, that I'm curious as to what the responses would have been before the invasion.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I know for a fact many folks I know would have chosen Putin before this invasion. I don’t want to ask now. But many folks have bought into such distorted, demonized views of Biden as being both a thoroughly criminal mastermind, yet mentally incompetent, I’m sure some would struggle with the question.

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I know for a fact many folks I know would have chosen Putin before this invasion. I don’t want to ask now. But many folks have bought into such distorted, demonized views of Biden as being both a thoroughly criminal mastermind, yet mentally incompetent, I’m sure some would struggle with the question.

True.  They probably would have been more sympathetic toward him pre-invasion, though I don't have a good feel for what percentage would have.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

True.  They probably would have been more sympathetic toward him pre-invasion, though I don't have a good feel for what percentage would have.

I’m certain many of the folks I’m thinking of would at least struggle with their answer.

I think the Right has mostly switched their position now from "pro-Putin" to more of a "anti-Ukraine" or a anti-anti-Putin" 

In effect a contrarian position where Ukraine is just as corrupt as Russia and Putin so we shouldn't intervene, or  'yeah, Putin and Russia are doing bad things', but the US and NATO put Russia into a corner and "made" them invade Ukraine. 

Some Republicans are just angry that a lot of  focus is on Ukraine and not on inflation, gas prices, or the Mexican border, and they're afraid Biden might get a boost from the diversion so they want America to be uninvolved for the sake of their own political maneuvering. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Agree. I personally know no one that supported Putin pre nor post invasion. And that is across the political spectrum. 

4 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I think the Right has mostly switched their position now from "pro-Putin" to more of a "anti-Ukraine" or a anti-anti-Putin" 

In effect a contrarian position where Ukraine is just as corrupt as Russia and Putin so we shouldn't intervene, or  'yeah, Putin and Russia are doing bad things', but the US and NATO put Russia into a corner and "made" them invade Ukraine. 

Some Republicans are just angry that a lot of  focus is on Ukraine and not on inflation, gas prices, or the Mexican border, and they're afraid Biden might get a boost from the diversion so they want America to be uninvolved for the sake of their own political maneuvering. 

Welp, self-identified the problem. At least you were honest. ;D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

demonized views of Biden as being both a thoroughly criminal mastermind, yet mentally incompetent,

never bought into him being a “criminal mastermind”.

This is a step in that direction:

The Hungary gathering spotlights an emerging split among Republicans. While some have grown more tolerant of Putin and other foreign leaders with authoritarian tendencies, others are alarmed at the association.

Al Cardenas, who served as ACU’s chairman from 2011 to 2014, called CPAC’s embrace of Orban troubling, noting the Hungarian leader’s close ties to Putin, “the most dangerous adversary of the free world.”

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-conservative-conference-with-hungarys-hardline-leader-reflects-republican-2022-04-05/?utm_campaign=social-alert&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newslit