I think we have to root for Calzada

AUght2win

We need him to have the summer and fall camp of his life.

I have liked what I’ve seen from Ashford’s athleticism but Harsin seems to totally discount a QB’s legs. Almost like he see them as detrimental to what he wants to do with his pro style system.

So I think Robby has virtually no shot, Geriner needed to set the world on fire to start as a true freshman and he hasn’t, and DD is gone. That leaves TJ and Calzada.

If the competition between those two ends in a tie, Finley will get the nod. He’s a locker room leader and knows the playbook better. 

I think TJ could be good in spots but I don’t think he can get us to 8 wins. Zach was the guy CBH invested in this offseason with a plethora of portal guys available. I think our only hope to have a good season is with Zach at this point.

I’ll root for whoever starts game 1, but I’m rooting for Calzada to win the job. I just don’t see TJ’s accuracy problems being fixable. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

Harsin's sole priority is getting to 2023. Do that and he gets that 2023 class full of hopefully OL and DL and his tenure should stabilize. To do that, he needs the QB with the highest floor that will manage games, and more importantly, not lose them. Calzada is that guy as of right now.

Personally, even though it's not happening, I still think he should go hard after JT Daniels after spring. His options are Missouri and Oregon State. We can bid with them. Then you can let Geriner and Ashford develop for a year. Hopefully one of Calzada/Finley would stick around until December for when JT inevitably gets hurt

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I just don’t see TJ’s accuracy problems being fixable. 

What is your reasoning behind that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Didba said:

What is your reasoning behind that?

Accuracy just isn’t something you really fix. It’s like a guard that can’t shoot. You can improve marginally over time. The only exception is when the fabled “light comes on”, which is a full scale revolution of a person’s abilities. And that’s extremely rare. Mental aspects like reads, pocket presence, and toughness can develop. Some physical things can too, like developing more arm strength. But accuracy is just one of those things that is rarely improved upon.

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Accuracy just isn’t something you really fix. It’s like a guard that can’t shoot. You can improve marginally over time. The only exception is when the fabled “light comes on”, which is a full scale revolution of a person’s abilities. And that’s extremely rare. Mental aspects like reads, pocket presence, and toughness can develop. Some physical things can too, like developing more arm strength. But accuracy is just one of those things that is rarely improved upon.

Looking at the stats from last year. Calzada is no more accurate than TJ. So why will his accuracy improve?

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

I just don’t understand why a coach would be against a QB who could run. It makes zero sense to me. Thats the way the game is going, even on the pro level. Having a QB that can escape and make plays on his feet make your offense so much more dangerous 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Maybe because he isn’t against that and it’s baseless commentary 

I actually wonder that myself. His first two years as head coach he had QBs that ran for 524 and 592 yards. Then Brett Rypien was a four year starter that didn't run. At all. Then the year after Rypien graduated his QBs combined to run for 330 yards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ertrader said:

I actually wonder that myself. His first two years as head coach he had QBs that ran for 524 and 592 yards. Then Brett Rypien was a four year starter that didn't run. At all. Then the year after Rypien graduated his QBs combined to run for 330 yards.

Yeah I feel like he is going to tailor the offense to his players best attributes. There aren’t many Lamar Jackson’s out there. I feel like the best QBs , who WIN, utilize their legs when possible, but prominently are pass first. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We need him to have the summer and fall camp of his life.

I have liked what I’ve seen from Ashford’s athleticism but Harsin seems to totally discount a QB’s legs. Almost like he see them as detrimental to what he wants to do with his pro style system.

So I think Robby has virtually no shot, Geriner needed to set the world on fire to start as a true freshman and he hasn’t, and DD is gone. That leaves TJ and Calzada.

If the competition between those two ends in a tie, Finley will get the nod. He’s a locker room leader and knows the playbook better. 

I think TJ could be good in spots but I don’t think he can get us to 8 wins. Zach was the guy CBH invested in this offseason with a plethora of portal guys available. I think our only hope to have a good season is with Zach at this point.

I’ll root for whoever starts game 1, but I’m rooting for Calzada to win the job. I just don’t see TJ’s accuracy problems being fixable. 

We probably need to give it a little more time before we discount any of the quarterbacks.  Aside from TJ, they have only been on campus for three months and practicing with the team for a week or two.  Let's see how they do in the summer so we can give everyone a fair chance, even TJ.  Who knows, maybe this spring is exactly what TJ needs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

I just don’t understand why a coach would be against a QB who could run. It makes zero sense to me. Thats the way the game is going, even on the pro level. Having a QB that can escape and make plays on his feet make your offense so much more dangerous 

I don't think he's against mobility. I think he just prioritizes the other aspects of the QB position.

Even in 2022, the number of guys who are elite passers and offense managers and who are also highly mobile is still very low. 

• Like 2

I never will understand this "we have to root for so and so" thing. 

There is almost zero difference in Harsin bringing in Finley last year and him bringing in Calzada this year. He saw an opportunity to bring in big dudes with big arms with very little effort- did we even have to get on a plane to visit either of these guys?- and he had more than enough room on the roster to do it. He didn't "invest" very much in either of them. 

Dude's job is very much on the line. He's going to make a more educated guess than any of us on who the right guy is. Why we'd root for any specific guy rather than whichever guy gives us the best chance of winning games is beyond me. 

Now, if you just want to say that you think one guy or another is going to start, I bet we've already got some threads where you can do that.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Maybe because he isn’t against that and it’s baseless commentary.

And yet there isn't a faction against CBH...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, au302 said:

Harsin's sole priority is getting to 2023. Do that and he gets that 2023 class full of hopefully OL and DL and his tenure should stabilize. To do that, he needs the QB with the highest floor that will manage games, and more importantly, not lose them. Calzada is that guy as of right now.

Personally, even though it's not happening, I still think he should go hard after JT Daniels after spring. His options are Missouri and Oregon State. We can bid with them. Then you can let Geriner and Ashford develop for a year. Hopefully one of Calzada/Finley would stick around until December for when JT inevitably gets hurt

Why would JT Daniels come to Auburn? 

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I know nothing, so just guessing here. Accuracy is learned , not an innate skill. I know I have seen QB’s doing accuracy drills. I believe it can be improved on but must be practiced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I feel like I've been reading this for the past 15 years. Is it really? NFL teams prioritize accuracy, moving the chains, and scoring TD's. Pat Mahomes can be mobile, but that's not why he's great. Lamar Jackson is entertaining, but he's more than that. I'm still in the camp that pocket passers still own the NFL because a QB's job is to throw the ball. That's the highest priority and most coveted skill for the position and that can be widely interpreted I get that.

Being mobile and extending plays is an added bonus but NFL teams don't want QB's who are going to risk injury by running it too much. It's not a new vs old school thing, it's the reality of football and the investment in the quarterback position. 

We've all seen a team who has a highly mobile QB but can't hit water if they fell out of a boat. They go 3 and out. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

“just don’t see TJ’s accuracy problems being fixable.”

Of course it can be fixed.

A qbs accuracy can improve with practice. Every qb from PeeWee football to the echelons of pro football can improve their accuracy through coaching and practice/playing from year to year. 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I just don’t see TJ’s accuracy problems being fixable. 

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Accuracy just isn’t something you really fix.

But why are Calzada's who has additional time in a college system with a proven QB developer in Jimbo?  Both are mid 50% comp guys.  Seem to be completely ignoring one

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ertrader said:

It's almost like the idea that Harsin wants a statue is formed out of completely baseless reference.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, woodford said:

I feel like I've been reading this for the past 15 years. Is it really? NFL teams prioritize accuracy, moving the chains, and scoring TD's. Pat Mahomes can be mobile, but that's not why he's great. Lamar Jackson is entertaining, but he's more than that. I'm still in the camp that pocket passers still own the NFL because a QB's job is to throw the ball. That's the highest priority and most coveted skill for the position and that can be widely interpreted I get that.

Being mobile and extending plays is an added bonus but NFL teams don't want QB's who are going to risk injury by running it too much. It's not a new vs old school thing, it's the reality of football and the investment in the quarterback position. 

We've all seen a team who has a highly mobile QB but can't hit water if they fell out of a boat. They go 3 and out. 

Rogers is the example. Great passer that can extend plays if needed.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Exactly! A qb doesn’t have to be a great rusher, but a good evader to buy time for receivers to get open and get upfield when the situation warrants. CBH can utilize these types of qbs to our advantage and has done it in the past with others.

• Like 2

And before anyone says Josh Allen, we're not getting a Josh Allen. Any more than we're getting another Cam Newton. You don't just go out and find those guys any more than you just go out and win the lottery. 

Hell, you're lucky to find a guy who is elite at *anything*. 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And before anyone says Josh Allen, we're not getting a Josh Allen. Any more than we're getting another Cam Newton. You don't just go out and find those guys any more than you just go out and win the lottery. 

Hell, you're lucky to find a guy who is elite at *anything*. 

Although not to his level...yet, HG has some distinct similarities, IMO.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes and the kid from the Bills. The list goes on and on. I feel like the argument that he doesn’t like guys who can use his feet is being made because DD transferred or is suppose to transfer.

• Like 1