I think we have to root for Calzada

AUght2win

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Why would JT Daniels come to Auburn? 

Why not. His current options are Missouri, Oregon State, and West Virginia. I know we're down right now, but none of those 3 have the spotlight we do. I doubt they could outbid us either. He could plug and play for a year. Now, if somewhere like Florida or A&M offered then, yes, he'd be nuts to come here. 

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

Why not. His current options are Missouri, Oregon State, and West Virginia. I know we're down right now, but none of those 3 have the spotlight we do. I doubt they could outbid us either. He could plug and play for a year. Now, if somewhere like Florida or A&M offered then, yes, he'd be nuts to come here. 

Is he ever going to be healthy ? I imagine that’s a major concern to significant schools 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Is he ever going to be healthy ? I imagine that’s a major concern to significant schools 

No, probably not, and I get that. My argument is that even if/when he gets hurt, then you just put in Calzada/Finley like originally planned. But I know there's no way he's coming here so it's a moot point. Just think he'd upgrade the QB room 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Although not to his level...yet, HG has some distinct similarities, IMO.

They are both QBs, yes.

• Haha 1

Bo Nix was mobile and he played, and from everything I've gathered, he and Harsin didn't jive, so I don't think he's opposed to a mobile QB, especially if he played one that he didn't see eye to eye with.

I wanted DD to get a chance, but I never saw him practice. He couldn't make the throws or reads. He's the only other mobile option we've had under CBH.

If Ashford can make all the throws against live defenses, he will play. I prefer a QB with legs, so I hope that works out. It never, ever, hurts to have a QB who can run if he has to, and every coach in America knows it. Especially ones with bad offensive lines (Auburn). 

6 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Looking at the stats from last year. Calzada is no more accurate than TJ. So why will his accuracy improve?

Literal accuracy and the stat are two different things. I don’t think Calzada is great either, but more accurate out of the two. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I just don’t understand why a coach would be against a QB who could run. It makes zero sense to me. Thats the way the game is going, even on the pro level. Having a QB that can escape and make plays on his feet make your offense so much more dangerous 

I agree but coaches are a stubborn breed. Remember the last head coach we had? Refused to change ANYTHING.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah I feel like he is going to tailor the offense to his players best attributes. There aren’t many Lamar Jackson’s out there. I feel like the best QBs , who WIN, utilize their legs when possible, but prominently are pass first. 

CBH is not a malleable guy. That much is clear. He’s strictly running his system, much the same as Gus. 

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

We probably need to give it a little more time before we discount any of the quarterbacks.  Aside from TJ, they have only been on campus for three months and practicing with the team for a week or two.  Let's see how they do in the summer so we can give everyone a fair chance, even TJ.  Who knows, maybe this spring is exactly what TJ needs.

I saw enough from TJ against Houston. It just isn’t happening. He isn’t the worst we’ve had start in recent memory. Jeremy and Moseley were worse. But I just don’t see his accuracy getting fixed.

I really love TJ as a kid and am really hoping I’m wrong though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I never will understand this "we have to root for so and so" thing. 

There is almost zero difference in Harsin bringing in Finley last year and him bringing in Calzada this year. He saw an opportunity to bring in big dudes with big arms with very little effort- did we even have to get on a plane to visit either of these guys?- and he had more than enough room on the roster to do it. He didn't "invest" very much in either of them. 

Dude's job is very much on the line. He's going to make a more educated guess than any of us on who the right guy is. Why we'd root for any specific guy rather than whichever guy gives us the best chance of winning games is beyond me. 

Now, if you just want to say that you think one guy or another is going to start, I bet we've already got some threads where you can do that.

I disagree. Coaches pick the wrong QB all the time, for a myriad of reasons. If you don’t believe that, see where Malik lands in this year’s draft.

TJ is a known quantity. He couldn’t beat inferior teams like USC and Houston. I think Zach is more talented, but not by a landslide. And his injury has put him in a hole, in addition to being new to the offense.

CBH may be forced to go with Finley unless Calzada really impresses over the next 4 months. Neither option is great but I feel Calzada has a higher ceiling, so therefore I want him to win.

And in terms of investment, it’s about the slots. CBH knew QB was an urgent transfer portal need. Maybe the most important. Out of all the QBs out there, in the height of portal season, he brought in Calzada. It essentially ended our pursuit of any other major starters. That’s investing a lot into Zach. Not an investment of time but an investment of faith - trusting that Zach was worth bringing in over any other interested starters.

15 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

CBH is not a malleable guy. That much is clear. He’s strictly running his system, much the same as Gus. 

Right like most guys but unlike Gus, it can be tailored to different types of QBs who can be successful. Bo Nix arguably looked his best under his system and he definitely used his legs to extend plays. I don’t know where this assumption came that he doesn’t like mobile guys, specifically since he bought in a mobile guy to compete for the starting job. 

• Like 1

Whoever can throw the ball the best and knows the playbook will be the guy but he has to be able to do that first. Beyond that, if that guy can also run, it's an added bonus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Easy fix is give him more than 2 1/2 seconds to throw. Not rocket science 

That isn’t getting fixed and it also isn’t the only issue. TJ missed wide open guys when he had time.

2 hours ago, woodford said:

I feel like I've been reading this for the past 15 years. Is it really? NFL teams prioritize accuracy, moving the chains, and scoring TD's. Pat Mahomes can be mobile, but that's not why he's great. Lamar Jackson is entertaining, but he's more than that. I'm still in the camp that pocket passers still own the NFL because a QB's job is to throw the ball. That's the highest priority and most coveted skill for the position and that can be widely interpreted I get that.

Being mobile and extending plays is an added bonus but NFL teams don't want QB's who are going to risk injury by running it too much. It's not a new vs old school thing, it's the reality of football and the investment in the quarterback position. 

We've all seen a team who has a highly mobile QB but can't hit water if they fell out of a boat. They go 3 and out. 

Coaches want QB’s to produce first downs and TD’s. Mobility is what coaches are looking for now, of course you need to be able to pass. That’s a QB main job but now coaches want more mobility 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

And Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes and the kid from the Bills. The list goes on and on. I feel like the argument that he doesn’t like guys who can use his feet is being made because DD transferred or is suppose to transfer.

I picked AR because he isn't as good as a runner as those you mentioned. They're more of the Unicorn type 😂

A lot of people discounted DD, but his work inside a pocket was beautiful to watch.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Out of all the QBs out there, in the height of portal season, he brought in Calzada. It essentially ended our pursuit of any other major starters.

That is inaccurate. We were looking at other QBs. Harsin just wasn't willing to play the game to get them.

Calzada landed in our laps early in the process. Harsin didn't go out and choose him over other QBs. We also brought in Ashford which shows you that Calzada didn't end anything. 

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Coaches pick the wrong QB all the time, for a myriad of reasons. If you don’t believe that, see where Malik lands in this year’s draft.

Exception to the rule says hi! Could smell it coming from a mile away.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right like most guys but unlike Gus, it can be tailored to different types of QBs who can be successful. Bo Nix arguably looked his best under his system and he definitely used his legs to extend plays. I don’t know where this assumption came that he doesn’t like mobile guys, specifically since he bought in a mobile guy to compete for the starting job. 

Well for one the fact that DD never saw a snap, even after TJ was hurt against Bama, during the Houston game, or even in the REDSHIRT opportunities like Alabama State, tells me he doesn’t value legs. I mean, at least let the kid run the read or wildcat or something to take advantage of his mobility. It couldn’t have been worse than the offense we witnessed after Bo’s injury.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Coaches want QB’s to produce first downs and TD’s. Mobility is what coaches are looking for now, of course you need to be able to pass. That’s a QB main job but now coaches want more mobility 

Based on what? I don’t think you are going to find any metric supporting such an argument. As @IronMan70has put it, it is a nice added addition. If this were the case, MW would be the running away odds favorite to be the first qb drafted 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Well for one the fact that DD never saw a snap, even after TJ was hurt against Bama, during the Houston game, or even in the REDSHIRT opportunities like Alabama State, tells me he doesn’t value legs. I mean, at least let the kid run the read or wildcat or something to take advantage of his mobility. It couldn’t have been worse than the offense we witnessed after Bo’s injury.

So your premise is based on DD not playing. Got it. Kind of called that a page ago. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I disagree. Coaches pick the wrong QB all the time, for a myriad of reasons. If you don’t believe that, see where Malik lands in this year’s draft.

TJ is a known quantity. He couldn’t beat inferior teams like USC and Houston. I think Zach is more talented, but not by a landslide. And his injury has put him in a hole, in addition to being new to the offense.

CBH may be forced to go with Finley unless Calzada really impresses over the next 4 months. Neither option is great but I feel Calzada has a higher ceiling, so therefore I want him to win.

And in terms of investment, it’s about the slots. CBH knew QB was an urgent transfer portal need. Maybe the most important. Out of all the QBs out there, in the height of portal season, he brought in Calzada. It essentially ended our pursuit of any other major starters. That’s investing a lot into Zach. Not an investment of time but an investment of faith - trusting that Zach was worth bringing in over any other interested starters.

Coaches do pick the wrong QB’s but surely have the absolute best vantage point to pick the right ones. CBH has oodles of more information, expertise, correct thinking to pick the best of the group. He is at much better position than us fans.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

They are both QBs, yes.

If that's all you can see, so be it 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That is inaccurate. We were looking at other QBs. Harsin just wasn't willing to play the game to get them.

Calzada landed in our laps early in the process. Harsin didn't go out and choose him over other QBs. We also brought in Ashford which shows you that Calzada didn't end anything. 

Exception to the rule says hi! Could smell it coming from a mile away.

It doesn’t matter that he landed in our laps. It was still CBH’s choice to offer him a spot. That was a commitment on CBH’s part.

Almost like the inverse of a recruit’s choices. Once CBH committed to Zach, that shut down our QB recruitment. No P5 starters were coming here after that. 

If you want to talk about someone who REALLY fell into our laps it was Ashford. Kid from Hoover who never saw the field at Oregon. Came to us when we were hemorrhaging players with barely any influx. CBH really DID say “sure, why not?” with him. 

I view recruiting starting QBs from major programs and recruiting unproven backups as two completely separate tiers. 

33 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

CBH is not a malleable guy.

According to all the players, you're wrong

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

According to all the players, you're wrong

Well that doesn’t matter, didn’t you know?

• Like 1