Jump to content
Null

2022-23 Way Too Early Rankings


Recommended Posts





I can see Arkansas as #1 because they are loaded, but I don't know how they will gel. I think they will have three 1st round draft picks on their team next season. They bring in 6 players. They will now see how it feels to have the target on their backs.

For some reason, I just don't get the feeling that Alabama players enjoy playing for Nate Oates. They look uninspired and frustrated on the court especially when they are not hitting shots. They don't seem motivated to play for Oates and one of their assistants acts a pure a** on the sidelines and huddles. Shackleford and Quinerly their top two guards are most likely not returning next season. Shackleford declared for the draft and is hiring an agent. Ellis is a senior.

I can see Tennessee being really good again but it depends on their point guard situation.

I like where Auburn will be. Underrated without the targets on our backs. How the off-season roster align, Auburn may shock a lot of people again next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tiger720 said:

I can see Arkansas as #1 because they are loaded, but I don't know how they will gel. I think they will have three 1st round draft picks on their team next season. They bring in 6 players. They will now see how it feels to have the target on their backs.

For some reason, I just don't get the feeling that Alabama players enjoy playing for Nate Oates. They look uninspired and frustrated on the court especially when they are not hitting shots. They don't seem motivated to play for Oates and one of their assistants acts a pure a** on the sidelines and huddles. Shackleford and Quinerly their top two guards are most likely not returning next season. Shackleford declared for the draft and is hiring an agent. Ellis is a senior.

I can see Tennessee being really good again but it depends on their point guard situation.

I like where Auburn will be. Underrated without the targets on our backs. How the off-season roster align, Auburn may shock a lot of people again next season.

TBH, I don’t think Pearl and our dream should shock anyone anymore. Pearl has taken his teams to a consistently high level compete and win. 
 

he recruits at a high level now to not have to rebuild his teams. 
 

So let’s not talk about ‘surprising’ anyone. We’re better than that. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

For what it’s worth:

ESPN #16 (right behind Tennessee and Alabama; they list Arkansas #1)

Fansided: #14

Don't get how ESPN thinks Alabama will be better next season. *shrugs* Maybe it's just me but I think Oats is severely overrated as a coach and will never reach the same success he lucked in during the Covid season. That took Auburn and Kentucky having down seasons and not playing at full capacity crowds to pull off. When Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas, and Tennessee are all on I don't think Alabama can stack up.

I would put us at around the 12-14 mark because of losing Jabari and Kessler. But we are getting Traore to replace Jabari and hopefully will hit the portal for another big to either back up Cardwell or be the starter. IMO, I think we upgrade the 3 with Westry. And our guards are getting another year of experience/coaching. Have to realize that KD and Green were both Sophomores so they still have some growing up to do.

Zep will have another season experience in the SEC and Flan should hopefully be back to full speed after the injury.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO Pearl has earned a lot of respect and goodwill among the voters here to get us that #16 ranking. Just looking at our returning roster it doesn't look that intimidating IMO. Its a solid core most certainly but none of the players would scare me on an individual level if i was an opponent. So unless Jabari just shocks everyone and comes back, i think we are going to need a lot of growth from our existing players to justify that ranking. The good news is that i do expect to see that growth in our existing players and this ranking will be justified if not eclipsed when the season rolls around! Pretty cool to be in a spot where we lose Kessler and Jabari after one season and we can replace them and keep on rolling. Lot of momentum for the basketball team and i'm so thankful we have a coach that can keep building on that momentum and make AU a perennial contender!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems a little silly to have a ranking set up when recruits are still deciding and the transfer portal is massive. Even calling it “way too early” doesn’t properly say how absurd it is to have these rankings. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, zeroforwinger said:

Seems a little silly to have a ranking set up when recruits are still deciding and the transfer portal is massive. Even calling it “way too early” doesn’t properly say how absurd it is to have these rankings. 

“Absurdly way too early rankings!”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:
5 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Seems a little silly to have a ranking set up when recruits are still deciding and the transfer portal is massive. Even calling it “way too early” doesn’t properly say how absurd it is to have these rankings. 

“Absurdly way too early rankings!”

I'd call it the Pre Transfer Blitz rankings.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Latest Top 25-and-1 from CBS Sports

With all of the different changes, CBS Sports has released their seventh edition of the Top 25 and 1, ranking the best teams in college basketball going into next year.

Following the commitment of Morehead State transfer Johni Broome, the Auburn basketball team moved up to No. 11 in the latest rankings. Fellow SEC teams Arkansas and Kentucky are inside the top five, with Tennessee right behind Auburn at No. 14. Alabama ranks No. 22.

The decision of five-star Julian Phillipswill be a significant one, and may very well have an impact on the SEC championship race next season, if Phillips decision is indeed down to Auburn and Tennessee.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 8:48 AM, toddc said:

Latest Top 25-and-1 from CBS Sports

With all of the different changes, CBS Sports has released their seventh edition of the Top 25 and 1, ranking the best teams in college basketball going into next year.

Following the commitment of Morehead State transfer Johni Broome, the Auburn basketball team moved up to No. 11 in the latest rankings. Fellow SEC teams Arkansas and Kentucky are inside the top five, with Tennessee right behind Auburn at No. 14. Alabama ranks No. 22.

The decision of five-star Julian Phillipswill be a significant one, and may very well have an impact on the SEC championship race next season, if Phillips decision is indeed down to Auburn and Tennessee.

Wonder if there's any chance we'd move into the top 5 with a Phillips commit. Probably more like 7th since there are two SEC teams already in the top 5, but preseason polls don't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Wonder if there's any chance we'd move into the top 5 with a Phillips commit. Probably more like 7th since there are two SEC teams already in the top 5, but preseason polls don't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.

I’ve seen #5 somewhere with Phillips 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ellitor said:

FIFY

Fair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...