'Best pass protector,' but will he start?

aubiefifty

Kilian Zierer is Auburn's 'best pass protector,' but will he start at LT?

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
4-5 minutes

Kilian Zierer fall camp 2020

Auburn offensive lineman Kilian Zierer (77) blocks Zykeivous Walker (3) during fall camp on Sept. 4, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Will Friend was worried about the communication.

When Friend first took over Auburn’s offensive line last spring, the longtime assistant wasn’t sure how well he was going to be able to communicate with Kilian Zierer, the Tigers’ German-born offensive tackle. Friend was concerned about a potential language barrier — but not necessarily because Zierer had issues with English (speaking with him, you’d hardly notice his German accent).

Read more Auburn football: Cadillac Williams’ message to Tank Bigsby after Auburn’s star running back considered transferring

Trio of unproven Auburn wide receivers making strides this spring

Where Auburn’s quarterback competition stands entering final week of spring practice

“There was a time when I first for here, I don’t know how well he understood me and my broken English,” said Friend, a native of Philadelphia, Miss., who still has a heavy Southern twang.

In the 15 months since Friend arrived on the Plains, though, that communication has improved, as has Zierer’s development at offensive tackle. The 6-foot-7, 312-pounder saw his first FBS action last fall after sitting out the 2020 season due to a torn ACL he sustained in junior college, making his first career start at Arkansas and appearing in nine games, and his progress has impressed Friend.

“He’s understanding the technique of playing the position,” Friend said. “… He understands me better now, and he’s gotten better and better.”

That improvement has been a process for Zierer, who didn’t start playing football until 2016 while still living in Germany. He found his way stateside in 2018, when he enrolled at College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita, Calif., and spent two years at the JUCO level while trying to prove himself worthy of a major college opportunity.

That came in the summer of 2019, when then-Auburn offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham got Zierer to commit to the Tigers over his “dream school,” UCLA. Zierer was sold on a chance to come to Auburn and immediately compete for a starting job at tackle, since he was only going to have two years of eligibility and the Tigers were set to lose six senior linemen from the 2019 team.

Unfortunately for Zierer, he tore his ACL during his second year at College of the Canyons, delaying his timeline to contribute at Auburn. He spent the 2020 season rehabbing before making his way back onto the field last season as a backup offensive tackle but earning starts in the Arkansas game and in three straight games against South Carolina, Alabama and Houston to close the season. The speed of the game was the biggest adjustment for Zierer — the step up from JUCO and the return from injury compounding that difference — and he admits it was a struggle early on.

Eventually, he settled in. Now he heads into 2022 more comfortable and more confident than ever.

“My knee is as good as it’s ever been since the surgery,” Zierer said. “So, I’d say I’m doing much, much better now than I did two years ago from now. But it’s been a process. It took a while to get used to how the knee feels and then asked to switch around on the left and right side, it took a while, but I feel the most confident right now.”

This spring, Zierer has been focusing on left tackle — where he made three of his four starts last season — and has received an ample number of first-team reps while competing with returning starter Austin Troxell, who has participated in a limited capacity due to injury. It has been a somewhat patchwork offensive line for Auburn, with four returning starters limited or missing time this spring, but Zierer has capitalized on the moment at left tackle.

“He’s our best pass protector,” Friend said. “He’s got the length. He’s got the athletic ability.”

Now it’s just a matter of whether Zierer will get that full-time starting job come September.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

From what I saw of him last year he should get the starting LT position. There are multiple parts to playing O-Line:

1. Winning your individual battle.

2. Knowing who to Block depending on play called and what the defense does (O-Line is very cerebral).

3. Working as a unit.

4. Pass Blocking - Punch, first step, good hand positions (to both control and also not to get caught holding) keep feet moving to control your man.

5. Run Blocking - Getting to your man, power and form to move your man, and a mean streak.

Watching Zierer last year his pass blocking was solid good punch quick first step and kept feet moving.  His run blocking was ok but is the area he needs to work on the most.

Run Blocking as a whole not just with Zierer. When run blocking if you are still at LOS after hitting your man or in the backfield you have not done your job. The exception is on a trap play where man passes the line of scrimmage and you trap him there. To often last year our run blocking was near the LOS as opposed to pushing defender backwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he is the best pass protector , I would hope he would be starting as we have very little room to spare. 

• Like 2

If he’s our best pass protector then why did Troxell start most of the year? I thought  Zierer was gone take that job permanently after his first start against Arkansas 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, toddc said:

WR/QB could be weaker, but calling it a strength right now is pretty laughable. Especially with everyone hurt.

Coach Pink does nothing but over hype any situation and recruit. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

WR/QB could be weaker, but calling it a strength right now is pretty laughable. Especially with everyone hurt.

Coach Pink does nothing but over hype any situation and recruit. 

I'd say he's right about not being the weakest. I'd give that trophy to the WR group... right now

• Like 1

Saying the OL is one of the strongest links is a relative statement more than an endorsement. 

• Like 1

• Like 2

This is a weird article. They’re saying he’s the best pass blocker and questioning if he’ll start at LT. But, there’s no reason given for why he wouldn’t start. It just describes his football journey. Auburn beat reporters are just not good at writing. 

• Thanks 1

With a couple guys out, hopefully some new guys take the reigns.  

I'd love to see Zierer/NewGuy/Brahms/Jones/NewGuy.

I highly doubt we get any quality portal OL, but if we can get 1 new starters to step up and better LT play, I'd start to feel a little better about this season.  

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

With a couple guys out, hopefully some new guys take the reigns.  

I'd love to see Zierer/NewGuy/Brahms/Jones/NewGuy.

I highly doubt we get any quality portal OL, but if we can get 1 new starters to step up and better LT play, I'd start to feel a little better about this season.  

I could not agree more and from what I just read that new guy might be Wright at LG. Now ideally we could get a RT from Smith or Langlo as that would give us a good base for next year. What is strange when we recruited then I thought we recruited Smith as OT and Langlo as IOL who had frame that could OT in a pinch but I read some where that Smith is practicing at Guard and Langlo at Tackle.