Jabari Smith entering the draft

tgrogan21

May be the best thing that could have happened. No pressure of being the #1 pick. Extra motivation. But yeah, he's definitely the best player in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Ha guess there wasn't a need lol they still drafted him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Ha guess there wasn't a need lol they still drafted him. 

Of course they did. He said he didn’t think he’d slip to three. 

• Like 1

I know all the NBA analysts have said that Jabari is the closest to Kevin Durant than any other current NBA player but this morning Shannon Sharpe made a good point that nobody has talked about. He said Jabari could end up being a similar player to Giannis rather than Durant. He said Durant is still a bean pole like he was when he entered the NBA but Giannis entered the NBA with a smaller frame and has put on tons of muscle. Shannon says Jabari definately has the frame to add alot of muscle. He also stated that he thinks Jabari is the most talented player to enter NBA since Durant. He said "Jabari is special. This draft has alot of good players and future all stars but Jabari is going to be really special in a few years." He also had very good words to say about Walker Kessler because Shannon knows Kessler's dad and his uncle that both played at Georgia. 

My goodness, this is SOOOO refreshing to hear NBA experts and sports analysts rave about Auburn basketball and the talent that we've been able to sign and develop into future NBA players. Thank you Bruce Pearl and EVERYBODY associated with Auburn men's basketball the past 7 years or so. WDE

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Two Auburn guys in the first round of the NBA draft who would have EVER thought that would happen. Not me

Who would have thought the bball team has more talent than the football team?  Here we are...

Sucks Jabari did not go first but this could be a big help for his career going to the rockets instead of the Magic. Houston will spend money and out a good team together eventually. Hopefully Jabari will be a big part of picking that team off of the floor. We are getting guys to the nba now but having a superstar in the nba from AU will be huge for Pearls recruiting

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

We are getting guys to the nba now but having a superstar in the nba from AU will be huge for Pearls recruiting

Agreed completely. Hopefully we continue to put at least one or two into the NBA each year so recruits can see the steady flow to that league, but having a legit superstar at the highest level would/will give us an in with virtually any player in the country, regardless of talent level.

• Like 2

And hopefully those we put in the NBA will be successful. Names alone can turn some heads and grt some signatures, but if Jabari, Walker, Okoro, and Okeke show that their time at Auburn helped develop them and keep them in the league that will only make Auburn's stock skyrocket among recruits

I think down the road that Jabari might turn out to be the best of the big three.  I can understand why Banchero went number 1 of the three he is physically the strongest and most ready to play in the NBA.  Holmgren does so many things well but is so skinny picking him the team is gambling he can get thicker and stronger but he is a bit of a gamble. Jabari because of his sweet stroke and the ability to play D was always going to be near top of draft.   If he can get a little stronger without affecting his stroke and improve his handle he could be the best of the three long term.  As a PF he needs to be able to bang down low and score in the NBA in addition to the things he does well now to become the complete player he has the potential to be.

I think Banchero is most NBA ready but ceiling is lower that both Smith and Holmgren but only time will tell which of the three will be the best player long term.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

And hopefully those we put in the NBA will be successful. Names alone can turn some heads and grt some signatures, but if Jabari, Walker, Okoro, and Okeke show that their time at Auburn helped develop them and keep them in the league that will only make Auburn's stock skyrocket among recruits

The biggest similarity I see between those four is suffocating defense, and considering that's a trademark of Bruce Pearl teams, I've gotta believe there's a correlation there. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

The biggest similarity I see between those four is suffocating defense, and considering that's a trademark of Bruce Pearl teams, I've gotta believe there's a correlation there. 

Facts. And showing longevity in the league is prime. No one wants to be the 2 good years and done guy. 

Just thinking this morning, but it will be interesting to see how the players in this draft develop through the years...and I suspect this is going to be one Auburn fans remember for a long time. I mean, sure, Isaac was the first true lottery pick from Auburn, but he seemed to go faster than expected, whereas I'm sincerely hoping that people are going to be second guessing Orlando similar to the way people have been second guessing Portland's 1984 pick at #2...

Then again, I didn't keep up with anyone but the SEC last season, so all I know is the scouting report on the Duke and Gonzaga kids. And it's not like I'd really be particularly opposed to the top three picks all finding their way to the NBA Hall of Fame, I just hope Jabari has that kind of career.

*ADHD brain* Can you guys believe Sir Charles is the only SEC basketball player ever to make the NBA HOF? That blows my mind...how has there not been a Kentucky player who made it in? *We now return to your regularly scheduled programming*

Well, Michael Jordan was drafted 3rd in his draft, so I'm looking for a similar result.   Barkley was 5th that same year.  Even though I would have liked for Jabari to be the #1 pick, I'm pretty happy to see him in Houston.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

*ADHD brain* Can you guys believe Sir Charles is the only SEC basketball player ever to make the NBA HOF? That blows my mind...how has there not been a Kentucky player who made it in? *We now return to your regularly scheduled programming*

Pete Maravich from LSU. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Pete Maravich from LSU. 

Hmm... I could have sworn that I saw a trivia bit about Barkley being the only SEC player in the HOF. But you're right, Pistol Pete is there, so obviously I saw something else that got me mixed up somehow.

With the relatively low standards as far as NBA players go and his college accomplishments, Horford is likely getting inducted whenever he’s done too. Not to mention AD

but the SEC’s programs don’t have the best NBA track record 

edit: Shaq

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

I said months ago, before the lottery that the Magic were a joke of a franchise that I hoped Jabari avoided. I hate that he didn’t go 1 because that would’ve been cool, but I’m glad he isn’t in that train wreck. They have no plan. Bachero, Wagner, Isaac, Carter, and Okeke all play basically the same two positions. None are good enough defensively to play the 3. Suggs looked awful last year. Anthony is a backup, and Fultz is a sixth man at best. Jabari landed in a better spot. 

12 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I said months ago, before the lottery that the Magic were a joke of a franchise that I hoped Jabari avoided. I hate that he didn’t go 1 because that would’ve been cool, but I’m glad he isn’t in that train wreck. They have no plan. Bachero, Wagner, Isaac, Carter, and Okeke all play basically the same two positions. None are good enough defensively to play the 3. Suggs looked awful last year. Anthony is a backup, and Fultz is a sixth man at best. Jabari landed in a better spot. 

Isaac was good on defense but it seems like he's been hurt for 5 years now and who knows what he'll look like when he comes back. You're right though, I don't see any type of plan in the organization

Edited by cole256