Jabari Smith entering the draft

tgrogan21

11 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I said months ago, before the lottery that the Magic were a joke of a franchise that I hoped Jabari avoided. I hate that he didn’t go 1 because that would’ve been cool, but I’m glad he isn’t in that train wreck. They have no plan. Bachero, Wagner, Isaac, Carter, and Okeke all play basically the same two positions. None are good enough defensively to play the 3. Suggs looked awful last year. Anthony is a backup, and Fultz is a sixth man at best. Jabari landed in a better spot. 

Chuma and Franz might be able to do some 3 and Paolo should be able to do some 5, but yeah it’s weird that they picked the forward option that does the least amount of spacing and requires the most touches. Jabari made the most sense because he’s the most complementary.

and maybe they don’t value the forward/center options (outside of Franz and Carter) as long term guys, but it’s still a bit odd 

I don't know if Brooklyn had a pick or whatever but if they did I was hoping Kessler would land there

42 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know if Brooklyn had a pick or whatever but if they did I was hoping Kessler would land there

Minnesota seems like a pretty good landing spot. Do you think he and KAT can playoff each other like he and Jabari did? It seems similar to a Giannis and Lopez situation. 

• Like 1

I'll tell you who got a good situation and that is JD Davison...

To be picked by the NBA Championship runner up, and their storied history, living in a great city like Boston, and not having the pressure to produce and still get picked in the first rd is pretty dang good.

He can sit and learn, make a ton of money he wouldn't have staying at Alabama, and play for a contender.

He can't shoot worth a damn, but he's got some NBA skills, and now it's a matter if he can improve those other weaknesses to get more playing time and stick in 2-3 years...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

Minnesota seems like a pretty good landing spot. Do you think he and KAT can playoff each other like he and Jabari did? It seems similar to a Giannis and Lopez situation. 

Minnesota can use him but they didn't like need him need him like Brooklyn does. I'm sure he'll be able to mesh well and he has some good vets, he won't have pressure and Edwards is a guy from Georgia. But if Kessler can get in there and do a bunch of the dirty work early he could help push them into that next level.

I know KG had started coming by and helping with their big men, if Kessler could get time with him that would be amazing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I'll tell you who got a good situation and that is JD Davison...

To be picked by the NBA Championship runner up, and their storied history, living in a great city like Boston, and not having the pressure to produce and still get picked in the first rd is pretty dang good.

He can sit and learn, make a ton of money he wouldn't have staying at Alabama, and play for a contender.

He can't shoot worth a damn, but he's got some NBA skills, and now it's a matter if he can improve those other weaknesses to get more playing time and stick in 2-3 years...

I actually think he can shoot he just has to get comfortable, but he's shown to be great at choosing when he needs to shoot. Boston doesn't really have a PG, at least not one that can break people down and get to the hole. He is in a good situation as far as nobody on the team has his strengths and his strengths is a need of the team....falling into a right situation like that can really help a career. Also he's going to a team with a great coach.

I think he went in the 2nd round as well

Edited by cole256

Davison isn't going to have to worry about Boston. He's gonna be in the G League next year. He's not taking Peyton Pritchard's job, and he can't space the floor or have the size to play 2-guard. He has the talent work out long-term, but he's not going to help that team next year. They'll get him minutes in the G League.

As for Walker, it's a good situation as a back-up big on a competitive, young team. Pat Beverley is a clown, but I fully expect Kess to push Greg Monroe out and to give them better defensive options than Naz Reid. Kess is their best rim protector from day one.

As for Orlando, the point with the Magic is that I don't believe for one second that they actually know who their foundational guys are. Setting floor spacing aside for a second, Jabari had the most defensive flexibility of the top options. As it stands, they have almost no path to getting their best forwards on the floor together without hemorrhaging points on the defensive end. Isaac, Wagner (the younger), and Banchero cannot defend together. Back on the offensive end, I don't think they can space the floor enough . That's especially true if you pair the three above with your top pick from last year (Suggs sports a tidy 21% 3pt percentage) and from 2020 (Anthony is a sharp-shooter by comparison with a 33% career 3pt percentage).

It's a mess of a franchise that has made the playoffs twice (as the 7th and 8th seed) twice in the last decade and hasn't made it out of the first round since Dwight Howard won his second of three consecutive DPOY awards. They haven't had a plan since Howard's trade demand. Jabari landed in a much better situation.

• Like 3

On 6/27/2022 at 11:11 AM, mcgufcm said:

Davison isn't going to have to worry about Boston. He's gonna be in the G League next year. He's not taking Peyton Pritchard's job, and he can't space the floor or have the size to play 2-guard. He has the talent work out long-term, but he's not going to help that team next year. They'll get him minutes in the G League.

As for Walker, it's a good situation as a back-up big on a competitive, young team. Pat Beverley is a clown, but I fully expect Kess to push Greg Monroe out and to give them better defensive options than Naz Reid. Kess is their best rim protector from day one.

As for Orlando, the point with the Magic is that I don't believe for one second that they actually know who their foundational guys are. Setting floor spacing aside for a second, Jabari had the most defensive flexibility of the top options. As it stands, they have almost no path to getting their best forwards on the floor together without hemorrhaging points on the defensive end. Isaac, Wagner (the younger), and Banchero cannot defend together. Back on the offensive end, I don't think they can space the floor enough . That's especially true if you pair the three above with your top pick from last year (Suggs sports a tidy 21% 3pt percentage) and from 2020 (Anthony is a sharp-shooter by comparison with a 33% career 3pt percentage).

It's a mess of a franchise that has made the playoffs twice (as the 7th and 8th seed) twice in the last decade and hasn't made it out of the first round since Dwight Howard won his second of three consecutive DPOY awards. They haven't had a plan since Howard's trade demand. Jabari landed in a much better situation.

I take back what I said about Kess being Minnesota's best rim protector. Guess he's part of a full-on rebuild in Salt Lake. Optimistically, there will be plenty of minutes available in Utah!

Gotta think Mitchell is on his way out of SLC as well. 

I watched part of this game and he played really well.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, toddc said:

That is one really well balanced game showing impact in all facets of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Excellent overall performance except for the shooting. And he took largely good shots.

Only tip I could think to provide from that game: occasionally Jabari will just stand in the unaccounted three point corner when he’s off the ball, and while that is smart bc it forced at least one defender to be out of the driving lanes, I do think it could help to be located closer to the paint for a potential drop off. He did this a few times iirc 

Not saying he’s not a good off ball mover, but that’s the only thing I noticed. It’s also a thing where he’ll have to pick his spots, since Houston plays 5 out and half their roster does the same thing where they’ll just stand and wait for the lockout three

Some of their undrafted guys do a really good job of moving off ball too, and Tyty does a good job of getting everyone involved. They have the flashes of a really good transition team, and Jabari’s willingness to push it in transition off a rebound or TO has helped in that. I selfishly wish he had an opportunity to do more of that here 

I believe Jabari had like 3 steals or ball pokes in a row against Chet when matched up on him. Then turned one into a trailing 3 at the top. 

Jabari had 19 and 9 tonight against the Spurs. 3-5 from 3, 6-12 overall. Also played great on defense. Played a lot like what we saw this past year.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AUlurker said:

Jabari had 19 and 9 tonight against the Spurs. 3-5 from 3, 6-12 overall. Also played great on defense. Played a lot like what we saw this past year.

Such a high floor guy. Found a way to maximize his game without being a ball handler 

I also pat him on the back for the past games where he’s tried to force creating his own shot honestly. Can’t get better if you don’t practice, and this practice is better than in a gym against your mates 

• Like 2

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

7286E084-D9C6-4648-BD4B-2AEAA4524FCF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 10/3/2022 at 8:27 AM, toddc said:

7286E084-D9C6-4648-BD4B-2AEAA4524FCF.jpeg

Shot was going to come along eventually. I feel like everything he put up in the summer league was just a couple inches short, and a result of not being accustomed to shooting from NBA range. 

• Like 1

I hope he's getting better. League is getting so soft sometimes I wonder. Right now they making a big deal about fights in practice......that's so stupid to me

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I hope he's getting better. League is getting so soft sometimes I wonder. Right now they making a big deal about fights in practice......that's so stupid to me

Sadly softness has spread throughout all of society. NBA been on the decline in that regard for years.