Do masks work? See the review of over 150 studies below:

bigbird

There was a whole hell of a lot of hand wringing and virtue signaling around mask use and condescension towards those opposed.  

Thoughts on this article?

https://centerforneurologyandspine.com/do-masks-work-see-the-review-of-over-150-studies-below/

• Like 1

Well the article is written by  PAUL ELIAS ALEXANDER who is one of Trumps former stooges who got forced out of the Health Service after he was found to be trying to influence and change the government  messaging about the virus to be more "positive" and to not "contradict the President's policies", + one of his best friends and colleges started going on Facebook rants about weird conspiracies about the CDC, Fauci, etc.  They were too crazy even for Trump.

He's most recently been found hanging around the Trucker Convoy in Ottowa and is a member of some anti-vaccine organizations, so we're already off to a poor start with a discredited author. 

Then we have this 

I build on the backs of the fine work done by Gupta, Kulldorff, and Bhattacharya on the Great Barrington Declaration (GBD) and similar impetus by Dr. Scott Atlas (advisor to POTUS Trump) 

oh...my..god. The whole gang of knackers is in on this, huh? 

Anyway...aside from the completely biased and unreliable author and source of this information (the website you link to is a private business in Arizona that looks like it's run by a very conservative Trumper), the list of studies and their findings seems to not say the things the author claims they do. 

Most of the studies point out things like "N95 masks are superior to cloth" Yeah.."that cloth and fiber masks offer only some limited protections(but protection none the less" And some of the "studies" i saw didn't even link to real studies...they linked to "opinion" articles on random websites I'd never heard of.

This Article doesn't give us anything different than what we've been seeing from the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers from the start of this whole thing. If you already believe masks are pointless, you'll love this and agree to it without even looking at any of the studies. If you support masking, nothing in this article has links to credible studies that will convince you otherwise, as most of the studies don't say masking is useless, but it encourages proper masking procedures. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

I was always told here not to attack the source...

Well, it's (D)ifferent, ya see. We're not being properly deferential to the mask theater.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

You asked for thoughts on the article. 

And you gave me your thoughts on the contributors.

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Along with my thoughts on the research cited. 

Very few of those 150 articles cited actually came to the conclusion that masks don't work and on top of that a good few I saw didn't actually link to a research article and instead someone's opinion article. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He very clearly stated thoughts on the content.

Okay

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Okay

Interesting way of saying, "My bad, I see that Coffee did offer specific and clear thoughts on the content, and that I was wrong to complain about him attacking the source, even though the source states quite plainly an agenda and preconceived notions in the article itself."

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

I was always told here not to attack the source...

So, anything found on the internet - or originating from someone with an agenda to push - should be above reproach? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

So, anything found on the internet - or originating from someone with an agenda to push - should be above reproach? 

NO! Only if it supports an agenda that is generally unfavorable to liberals. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Who apparently hyped and distorted information that was not supported by actual facts. 

Why?  Because they have a record of pushing false agendas tailored to support their political biases.

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

There was a whole hell of a lot of hand wringing and virtue signaling around mask use and condescension towards those opposed. 

There was also a lot of genuine concern, science, and basic decency in favor of masking up that was met by a lot of stupidity, selfishness, and, yes, condescension and virtue signaling. For instance, some people opposed to wearing masks might call wearing them "mask theater", and others might endorse those comments.

I'm curious what you hope to achieve with this thread. You're certainly not here to have a grownup conversation about it. 

Edit: My apologies, I didn't realize this was in the smack forum. Further points to the lack of weight that should be given the OP, but it also negates any expectations of adult conversation. That being the case, LOL at the article linked in the OP, LOL at the author of the linked article, LOL at that clinic's blog, and LOL at the Brownstone Institute. That people are still trying to find anti-mask support under rocks and at the bottom of barrels in April 2022 is a little bizarre and sad, and just one reason why, yes, there was so much condescension from those of us who have acted responsibly for the last two years. But it's also a little funny. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You would know, you are the king of posting such articles on here…..

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

You would know, you are the king of posting such articles on here…..

That's a lie and you know it.

I'll post opinion articles for their own value, but I never post such  BS from biased sources to support an argument of fact (science), which is what this is about:

"Do Masks Work?  See the review of over 150 studies below:"

Which includes opinion pieces combined with misrepresentation of actual studies, all written by someone pushing an agenda. :rolleyes:

But I'll take back "and you know it".

I don't think you are smart enough to discern the difference between BS and something supported by scientifically valid data. 

But cheer up. You've got lots of company on this forum.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I'll post opinion articles for their own value, but I never post such  BS from biased sources to support an argument of fact (science) which is what this is about.

I take back and you know it.  I don't think you are smart enough to discern the difference.

Nope you said anything found on the internet….which you you regularly post biased articles (even if some are opinion.) 

27 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Nope you said anything found on the internet….which you you regularly post biased articles (even if some are opinion.) 

Well you obviously overlooked the key phrases in my post: .... to support an argument of fact (science) which is what this is about.

I have often posted opinion articles to support my opinion. Obviously, I choose authors that are biased in the same way I am. Some of these articles are even supported by data, but I have never presented the claims made from it as scientific fact unless it's been scientifically tested.

I have never represented  anything as a statement of scientific fact that cannot be supported by valid scientific research.  (As the subject at hand was presented.)

That would violate my values and my scientific training.  It would be like an engineer promoting something he knew might not work just because he liked the idea.

And regarding the internet, if you didn't know, you can find links to most scientific research on the internet.

But that doesn't mean "anything" on the internet is scientifically valid.  (I thought that should be obvious.)

Edited by homersapien

28 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Keep in mind you're talking to people who think that information from www.CenterForNurologyandspine.com 

has the same or even more credibility than info from WAPO, CDC, Universities, etc. 

They'll believe anything from anywhere, written by anyone if it tells them what they agree with or want to believe. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

There was also a lot of genuine concern, science, and basic decency in favor of masking up that was met by a lot of stupidity, selfishness, and, yes, condescension and virtue signaling. For instance, some people opposed to wearing masks might call wearing them "mask theater", and others might endorse those comments.

I'm curious what you hope to achieve with this thread. You're certainly not here to have a grownup conversation about it. 

Edit: My apologies, I didn't realize this was in the smack forum. Further points to the lack of weight that should be given the OP, but it also negates any expectations of adult conversation. That being the case, LOL at the article linked in the OP, LOL at the author of the linked article, LOL at that clinic's blog, and LOL at the Brownstone Institute. That people are still trying to find anti-mask support under rocks and at the bottom of barrels in April 2022 is a little bizarre and sad, and just one reason why, yes, there was so much condescension from those of us who have acted responsibly for the last two years. But it's also a little funny. 

https://centerforneurologyandspine.com/hello-world-2/

The person who runs this website couldn't even bother to delete the generic "WordPress Blog Test Post" that is created whenever they installed their wordpress theme 6 years ago. This is on the front page of their "blog" link. 

Honestly, this guy needs to separate his personal political blog from his business website. Makes it all look tacky. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1

Just now, CoffeeTiger said:

They'll believe anything from anywhere, written by anyone if it tells them what they agree with or want to believe. 

Bingo. The way they drive right past the actual, authoritative bodies to get to Tinfoil Hat Town seems exhausting but we all have our hobbies.

3 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Honestly, this guy needs to separate his personal political blog from his business website. Makes it all look tacky. 

I was struck by that, too. I actually realized I need to do a quick spot check on the blogs of my healthcare providers.

16 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Keep in mind you're talking to people who think that information from www.CenterForNurologyandspine.com 

has the same or even more credibility than info from WAPO, CDC, Universities, etc. 

https://centerforneurologyandspine.com/hello-world-2/

The person who runs this website couldn't even bother to delete the generic "WordPress Blog Test Post" that is created whenever they installed their wordpress theme 6 years ago. This is on the front page of their "blog" link. 

Obviously, confirmation bias is very powerful considering some of the sources quoted on this forum.

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Ironie GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/5/2022 at 4:46 PM, bigbird said:

Thoughts on this article?

https://centerforneurologyandspine.com/do-masks-work-see-the-review-of-over-150-studies-below/

Forward this to all hospitals immediately.  They have been fools for so long.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1