Harsin's latest presser

homersapien

Can't wait to watch this later after all the BS of this day.

• Like 1

I was hoping he would be fired when everything hit the fan earlier. I didn’t see how he could recover and be an effective coach. To Harsin’s credit, he seems to be addressing the areas where he was lacking. Ultimately, it will come down to how well he recruits this year, and whether he can find an effective QB. He’s got options there, so let’s see how well he can coach one up. 

• Like 4

If he survives the year, I think he sticks for a while and sets up a consistent program. That's how he had it at Boise. One OC leaves, next guy steps right in. QB graduates, new one comes up the pipeline and they don't miss a beat. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, au302 said:

If he survives the year, I think he sticks for a while and sets up a consistent program. That's how he had it at Boise. One OC leaves, next guy steps right in. QB graduates, new one comes up the pipeline and they don't miss a beat. 

Reaching a bowl definitely keeps him on. But year 3 is go time. See my sig.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, AUwent said:

I don't think reaching a bowl is good enough. He needs a win. Only exception I can see is if he pulls something like a sugar bowl out his ass. 

• Facepalm 2

21 hours ago, AUwent said:

Better win that bowl game if they make it, otherwise it's just to reminiscent of the past if they lose it.  

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Better win that bowl game if they make it, otherwise it's just to reminiscent of the past if they lose it.  

If it's another lower tier bowl, I agree.

Losing to Houston in year 1 with the backup QB- in a fashion that suggested that decent QB play would have won it easily- was truly not a big deal.

Losing to Houston in year 2 under any circumstances would be a big deal in this fan's meaningless opinion.

Losing to, say, Oklahoma or Michigan in year 2? That might not necessarily be cause for great concern. Especially since it would necessarily point to improvement in year 2. (Both of those programs are almost guaranteed a much better bowl than Birmingham just by virtue of being the programs they are in the conferences they're in.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2022 at 5:36 PM, AUwent said:

5. Class of 2024 onwards in the top 10 roughly 75 percent of the time and in the top 12 100 percent of the time.

Not trying to nit-pick, but you know that no coach has ever accomplished the above, right?  

Even if you grabbed Terry Bowden's crazy 20-0-1 start, he was not ranked in the top 15, 75% of the time.   The coach can't control where the team is ranked.  He can win games which goes a long way.   He can hope to blow out weak teams, but ultimately, he has less control over public perception than the sports media does.  And the media is not in love with Harsin/Auburn.    Actually, I saw one survey on IG where Auburn was in the top 5-7  of the most hated football programs -- which I don't understand, but I read the survey.

War Eagle and let's pull for the good guys. 

On 4/5/2022 at 4:12 PM, homersapien said:

I have been really impressed with how well Harsin - and the rest of the athletic Dept.(like PR) - have got it going.

It seems to me that Harsin is doing exceptionally well in all areas, especially in those areas he's been most criticized for. 

I like his style and perspective in the above video.  To me, he sounds like a really good coach. And it sounds like we have some good talent.

I think we'll see a much better and more consistent team than last year. 

War Eagle!

Agree brother. Rooting like hell for him. It seems like things are more cognizant this year with the coaching staff. I am not sure about the talent portion yet. Dude just seems like a genuine guy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

5. Class of 2024 onwards in the top 10 roughly 75 percent of the time and in the top 12 100 percent of the time.

Not trying to nit-pick, but you know that no coach has ever accomplished the above, right?  

Even if you grabbed Terry Bowden's crazy 20-0-1 start, he was not ranked in the top 15, 75% of the time.   The coach can't control where the team is ranked.  He can win games which goes a long way.   He can hope to blow out weak teams, but ultimately, he has less control over public perception than the sports media does.  And the media is not in love with Harsin/Auburn.    Actually, I saw one survey on IG where Auburn was in the top 5-7  of the most hated football programs -- which I don't understand, but I read the survey.

War Eagle and let's pull for the good guys. 

He's referencing the recruiting class rankings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

You guys really don't realize how bad it will be for the program will be if we fire harsin after this year? Barring a 3-9 year harsin should be retained.

While I am not, nor have I ever been a fan of Harsin, I've yet to advocate for his finiring after year one or 2 barring factual cause. 

However, after how last year ended, with the off-season shenanigans, another year with a loss in a meaningless, who cares bowl will spell the end of his time here. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Didba said:

You guys really don't realize how bad it will be for the program will be if we fire harsin after this year? Barring a 3-9 year harsin should be retained.

Exactly

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

However, after how last year ended, with the off-season shenanigans, another year with a loss in a meaningless, who cares bowl will spell the end of his time here. 

...which had little to do with CBH. He didn't cause, exacerbate, or wilt from them.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Didba said:

You guys really don't realize how bad it will be for the program if we fire harsin after this year? Barring a 3-9 year harsin should be retained.

Agree. This program needs consistency and if it comes from a non experienced SEC guy that has a vision, he needs at least 3 to 4 years. I don’t expect this year to great, but a break even, could mean this coach and his staff have a true plan in place and most plans at big schools, especially with the damn portal deal, still take at least 3 classes of recruiting to implement. Now, if after this season, the team is non competitive and looks in disarray, there will be some merit, but in my opinion, he would still need another year. College football is becoming so NFL like that it’s hard to hang on to anybody, much less being a guy with a coaching acumen from the Midwest area. Just my thoughts, but he deserves time. In my opinion, the program just gave the last coach too much time based off of one season, that weren’t his recruits necessarily. 

• Like 3

I really like Harsin.  He impressed me with the way he handled the whole "program review" thing after the season.  I thought that whole thing was unfair.

I hope Harsin can weather this season and recruit well next year.  If so, I think he might do well at Auburn for a long time.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Exactly

...which had little to do with CBH. He didn't cause, exacerbate, or wilt from them.

Some did such as the loss of 3 coordinators, multiple big name transfers, etc. 

While the truth about much of what happened will be a mystery, the reflection a year from now after another lackluster season will be an off-season of strife. 

If the new Pres wants his own AD and Greene is out, Harsin doesn't survive a repeat of 2021. 

20 hours ago, Didba said:

You guys really don't realize how bad it will be for the program if we fire harsin after this year? Barring a 3-9 year harsin should be retained.

Hard to really judge that depending on how the season plays out and what our recruiting class looks like on 5/1 for the '21 portal and what it looks like on 12/1.

If we miss a bowl game and those are both bad, then even at 5-7 I'm not sure how you have confidence b/c we are bringing in the right talent.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 5:36 PM, AUwent said:

Reaching a bowl keeps him on, and deservedly so. To be clear, what I WANT is for Harsin to lead AU to a 15-0 record and national championship. Though it's too early for predictions, what I EXPECT is 4-8 or 5-7. I think that keeps him on if the recruiting is top-10, thereabouts, and the bleeding through the portal is slowed or stopped. 5-7 with pedestrian recruiting and continued lack of balance in the portal will indicate that it's time for a change. At that point, why prolong the agony?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Reaching a bowl keeps him on, and deservedly so. To be clear, what I WANT is for Harsin to lead AU to a 15-0 record and national championship. Though it's too early for predictions, what I EXPECT is 4-8 or 5-7. I think that keeps him on if the recruiting is top-10, thereabouts, and the bleeding through the portal is slowed or stopped. 5-7 with pedestrian recruiting and continued lack of balance in the portal will indicate that it's time for a change. At that point, why prolong the agony?

Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point - )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Hard to really judge that depending on how the season plays out and what our recruiting class looks like on 5/1 for the '21 portal and what it looks like on 12/1.

If we miss a bowl game and those are both bad, then even at 5-7 I'm not sure how you have confidence b/c we are bringing in the right talent.

While I agree with you that he would seriously be on the hot seat at that point, I just think firing him after year two, barring a complete collapse on the field, would cause serious harm to the overall structure of the program.  Just like keeping a Coach for three years too long can harm the program's structure so can firing a coach too quickly.  

I worry that we wouldn't be able to find a suitable replacement and that the recruiting would be an absolute disaster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Didba said:

I worry that we wouldn't be able to find a suitable replacement

I personally think that the only impediment to that would be JABA. Which, to be fair, could be impediment enough.

But if Auburn ever circles the wagons and puts real money on the table, there aren't many realistic candidates that would turn it down. IMO.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Didba said:

While I agree with you that he would seriously be on the hot seat at that point, I just think firing him after year two, barring a complete collapse on the field, would cause serious harm to the overall structure of the program.  Just like keeping a Coach for three years too long can harm the program's structure so can firing a coach too quickly.  

I worry that we wouldn't be able to find a suitable replacement and that the recruiting would be an absolute disaster.

If the recruiting is already a disaster, staff turnover isn't going to matter too much.  There wasn't much difference between Harsin's 1/2 class and his full class.  If he's meh again with another bad year and not showing much progress idk what a 3rd year is going to do and it might just get worse.

I think it would be 50/50 on the call to fire him if we miss a bowl game and aren't an utter disaster.  I see both sides of it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I personally think that the only impediment to that would be JABA. Which, to be fair, could be impediment enough.

But if Auburn ever circles the wagons and puts real money on the table, there aren't many realistic candidates that would turn it down. IMO.

People always complain about it.  They did after we fired most of our last coaches.  We pay well, we're a big program.  We can make a good hire.  

• Like 2