AD Greene Wants to Stay at Auburn

toddc

I personally hope he stays! 

Auburn AD Allen Greene wants to remain with university

ByCLINT BUCKLEY 2 hours ago

Share2 Comments

Late Kick Blitz: Could this be Bryan Harsin's final year at Auburn?

The contract for Auburn athletic director Allen Greene expires early in 2023, and incoming university president Dr. Chris Roberts must decide whether to renew Greene for another term as AD. Greene publicly stated he wants to remain at Auburn during an interview with AL.com this week. 

“I love it here,” Greene told Al.com. “My wife loves it here. My kids love it here. When I got here four years ago, I remember telling a group of alumni that I’ve been an Auburn man my whole life. I just didn’t know until I got here.

“The values at Auburn align with mine. I appreciate that Auburn wants to win. But they want to excel in the classroom. They want to create Auburn men and women. That’s who I am. That’s why I’m excited to be here.”

While Auburn achieved great success with the men’s basketball program ascending to No. 1 in the polls this past season, the situation involving coach Bryan Harsin — the most prominent hire of the Greene era — and the Tigers football program this offseason has caused a few to wonder if Greene is the right fit for the Auburn athletic department longterm. 

Outgoing school president Jay Gogue told Harsin in February that the university would conduct a review of the football program to determine if accusations into Harsin’s treatment of players and staff warranted discipline or even his removal as head coach. Gogue eventually cleared Harsin of any wrongdoing, as the coach prepares to enter his second season leading the program. 

“There’s not much to say when there’s an inquiry going on,” Greene said. “Speaking about topics before you have enough information is doing the inquiry a disservice. So there’s no need to get out and speculate ahead of something before you have more information,” Greene said. You know, no matter what we do, those folks who sit in positions like mine, you are constantly dealing with something.

“This one happened to be more public than would be ideal. In many ways, it’s no different from many things that we deal with in athletics and many cases, the university setting; it just happens this was very public.”

Greene said he welcomes working with Roberts in the future. 

“Dr. Chris Roberts has done amazing things,” Greene said. “I look forward to helping him carry those same successes from the school of engineering and applying them to the entire university. As part of his university evaluation, we’ll get a chance to sit down and talk about the athletic department’s role in the university’s overall success.”

Auburn football lost the final five games of the 2021 season, including a heartbreaking, four-overtime loss to Iron Bowl rival Alabama, a game the Tigers never trailed in regulation. Auburn lost both coordinators this offseason and three-year starting quarterback Bo Nix to the transfer portal.

2COMMENTS

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

Auburn begins the 2022 season Sept. 3 at home against Mercer. The Tigers do not play away from Jordan-Hare Stadium until Oct. 8, when they face defending national champion Georgia.

Edited by toddc

i have always loved me greene. he has done a lot of good things for auburn and i want a man who loves auburn.

• Like 4

I hope he stays. We need continuity in the athletic department, not guys leaving out or getting fired every few years 

• Like 2

He’s been a breath of fresh air. Reports of his imminent departure seem to be as greatly exaggerated as the Harsin ‘investigation’. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

What the heck else is he gonna say about it when asked during an interview lol?? 

He could’ve just said he was busy and not done the interview. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I hope he stays. We need continuity in the athletic department, not guys leaving out or getting fired every few years 

agree about people leaving it happens everyday in every type of work environment, but getting fired, if you aint cutting the mustard  you azz gets fired simple as that.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

He could’ve just said he was busy and not done the interview. 

That would be funny since from my understanding, busy is the last thing that he is. Not exactly a guy that comes to the office a lot.

18 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

How many other ADs are having to say this publicly? 

How many other ADs have their contract is expiring soon?

It’s not a stretch for this to be a topic of discussion or for him to be asked about this, my goodness. Some of y’all are so silly.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

How many other ADs have their contract is expiring soon?

It’s not a stretch for this to be a topic of discussion or for him to be asked about this, my goodness. Some of y’all are so silly.

So there's only one AD with a contract expiring soon?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

agree about people leaving it happens everyday in every type of work environment, but getting fired, if you aint cutting the mustard  you azz gets fired simple as that.

you speak of mustard as if it is a good thing....................

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

That would be funny since from my understanding, busy is the last thing that he is. Not exactly a guy that comes to the office a lot.

that might have been a good thing with all the crap flying around with harsin. if it is something different i would love to know. the only thing i heard was he was trying to cut expenses when we lost money to covid right? not arguing just curious.

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

That’s the rumor. Of course there have been a lot of rumors out of our Athletics department that haven’t been 100% accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

40 minutes ago, BizTiger said:

So there's only one AD with a contract expiring soon?

Only one AD that works at Auburn. Tell you what? I let you google and do a poll for us. Come back and tell us what you find 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

What the heck else is he gonna say about it when asked during an interview lol?? 

You don’t have to expand on the answer. I’m hoping he stays too. He’s made good hires across the athletic department. 

• Like 2

If he's repaired his relationships with all the coaches that were supposedly pissed at him, then I can see him getting a new deal. New pres. may want his own guy though 

1 hour ago, au302 said:

may want his own guy though 

ding ding ding. I hope he stays though as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, provibe said:

I personally hope he is kept as AD. 

I do too. But doesn't seem like he has the big support to stay long-term. Hence why he's been interviewing. I'm sure he initially envisioned being able to help bring AU another natty in football. Just not sure he'll be here long enough to see that being done. I hope so though b/c I like how he doesn't just go along with the old program and willing to make changes for the better. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

That’s the rumor. Of course there have been a lot of rumors out of our Athletics department that haven’t been 100% accurate. 

This, is so true, been a reoccurring theme.  He is not  a stupid puppet like Jay.  So he has enemies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Overall AU sports haven't been good under Greene's leadership. We were 12 out 14 in the SEC all sports trophy rankings in 2021. Everyone has their opinion but I think him coming out now saying he wants to stay at AU is because he hasn't been selected anywhere he has interviewed and no one is coming after him.

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 5