Charging for A-Day

Proud Tiger

I personally wish we didn't charge admission for the A-Day game. It's a nit in terms of the overall AD income. I think it's a great time for people to come who aren't able to go to a season game and a great time for folks to bring their kids to the game. I expressed that opinion to the AD today. Your thoughts?

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 7

Just now, Win4AU said:

I get what you’re saying but $10 isn’t asking a lot.  Even if only 25k show up you’ve got to hire people to work concessions and clean up after those people.  Also if $10 makes or breaks your plans then you probably shouldn’t make the trip.  Sorry if that sounds ugly 

I don’t disagree with either point. Happy medium $10 for everyone over 12. Maybe 10. Just allow a family of 4/5 to get in for a reasonable amount possibly under $50 depending on kids ages.

• Like 2

Aside from the fellowship enjoyed while meeting old friends, A-day games aren't much entertainment anyway. Free would be the way to go and would create some good will.

Whether $10 is much money or not, some people will come to Free who won't come at all if they have to pay.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I personally wish we didn't charge admission for the A-Day game. It's a nit in terms of the overall AD income. I think it's a great time for people to come who aren't able to go to a season game and a great time for folks to bring their kids to the game. I expressed that opinion to the AD today. Your thoughts?

Agree 100%.  If you want to charge money, open the concession stands and sell food and drinks.   Charging money for a practice is petty and reeks of desperation.    

• Like 2

I'm interested to see what the turn out is for the A-day game. Weather looks cool but sunny. I'm not feeling a whole lot of hype or expectations for next season but that could be my own personal impression. I guess that is why i'm interested in turn out.....indicator if the general fan base is feeling better about things than i am. 

• Like 1

I guess it's a good excuse to go to Auburn and sit in the stadium, but ADay games have not really been very much to watch since Tuberville left. 

Spend the $10 elsewhere, skip the game, and just enjoy a day in Auburn!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'm interested to see what the turn out is for the A-day game. Weather looks cool but sunny. I'm not feeling a whole lot of hype or expectations for next season but that could be my own personal impression. I guess that is why i'm interested in turn out.....indicator if the general fan base is feeling better about things than i am. 

Somewhat my take. Fan interest is down and charging for A day could be just another reason for some not to be in attendance.

• Like 1

I think A-day would be the perfect opportunity for a fundraising event for a charity. Perhaps, Coach Pearl’sAUtlive Foundation, for example. I would be fine with a small admission fee but I think voluntary donations would raise even more funds. This would allow anyone who wants to go, to be able to go. Pack out a whole row. Bring all the neighborhood kids. Whatever. This has multiple benefits. Fans get to watch their team play, even if it’s not a real game. A deserving charity hopefully gets a substantial donation. Players get to perform in front of, hopefully, a packed out stadium. Also, there are usually recruits at A-day. This generates a lot of enthusiasm and excitement for the school and program. Win, win, win.

• Like 2

it is my understanding they have always charged for  A-day and given the money to charity. am i wrong or have they changed this?is this true proud? do you know? i used to be upset because the turds A-day game is free until i read it was helping charity but that has been a minute or three so it might have changed?

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

it is my understanding they have always charged for  A-day and given the money to charity. am i wrong or have they changed this?is this true proud? do you know? i used to be upset because the turds A-day game is free until i read it was helping charity but that has been a minute or three so it might have changed?

They’ve been charging for many years now, I can’t remember when it stopped being free, probably sometime in the mid to late 2000s. Used to be $5 and now I see it’s bumped up to $10. I agree with Proud and Mikey - allow fans to come for free or at least only charge adults. This is the only game that many will be able to make because of the rising cost of tickets and everything else that encompasses a football Saturday in the Fall, definitely for families with young-ish kids. I mean it’s cool that all the money goes to charity but that’s not been the case previously. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lca408 said:

They’ve been charging for many years now, I can’t remember when it stopped being free, probably sometime in the mid to late 2000s. Used to be $5 and now I see it’s bumped up to $10. I agree with Proud and Mikey - allow fans to come for free or at least only charge adults. This is the only game that many will be able to make because of the rising cost of tickets and everything else that encompasses a football Saturday in the Fall, definitely for families with young-ish kids. I mean it’s cool that all the money goes to charity but that’s not been the case previously. 

not being a richard here but do you have a link for that or know for sure? i ask because i can get bad info just like anyone else.................

I have been to quite a few A-day games. Have never heard mention of any proceeds going to charity. Maybe they do, but I’ve never heard. 

If they do, great, but they should market it better. Make it a big deal. It’s an opportunity to drum up enthusiasm in the off season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

It sure used to be free and to my knowledge the proceeds still don't go to a charity. At the very least season ticket holders should get in free and be able to bring their kids/grandkids.

• Like 1

Think 10 is more than fair for adults and free for kids. I do think they should give out tickets to neighborhood kids, boy scout troops, church youth groups, etc. Get kids around to give them that experience and grow your market for the future. They may already do that. Not sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Think 10 is more than fair for adults and free for kids. I do think they should give out tickets to neighborhood kids, boy scout troops, church youth groups, etc. Get kids around to give them that experience and grow your market for the future. They may already do that. Not sure. 

I'm not aware of anything the AD does for free:drippingsarcasm7pa:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I get what you’re saying but $10 isn’t asking a lot.  Even if only 25k show up you’ve got to hire people to work concessions and clean up after those people.  Also if $10 makes or breaks your plans then you probably shouldn’t make the trip.  Sorry if that sounds ugly 

I will be surprised if 25K show up this time,

18 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I will be surprised if 25K show up this time,

I think you may be right that there won't be much of a crowd there, which is too bad because Auburn people usually support A-Day well (& some years very well). I've been glad to read that Harsin has listened & has worked to re-set relationships with his players, but I'm disappointed in what I perceive to be little effort to re-connect with the fan base. After a 5-game losing streak, discouraging recruiting results, & the kerfuffle in January, there seems to be little excitement among the Family. I would have thought that spring practice leading to A-Day was an opportunity to re-charge Auburn people, but the news & stories from spring ball have been slim pickings. I live in Memphis & I can tell y'all that there's been something from Kiffen & Heupel at least 3 times a week, often more than that. And it was more than "we're trying to be more consistent." This spring practice time in Auburn has struck me as just boring, which was not what we needed right now. Or maybe I should say it wasn't what I needed or was hoping for.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I think you may be right that there won't be much of a crowd there, which is too bad because Auburn people usually support A-Day well (& some years very well). I've been glad to read that Harsin has listened & has worked to re-set relationships with his players, but I'm disappointed in what I perceive to be little effort to re-connect with the fan base. After a 5-game losing streak, discouraging recruiting results, & the kerfuffle in January, there seems to be little excitement among the Family. I would have thought that spring practice leading to A-Day was an opportunity to re-charge Auburn people, but the news & stories from spring ball have been slim pickings. I live in Memphis & I can tell y'all that there's been something from Kiffen & Heupel at least 3 times a week, often more than that. And it was more than "we're trying to be more consistent." This spring practice time in Auburn has struck me as just boring, which was not what we needed right now. Or maybe I should say it wasn't what I needed or was hoping for.

I also think season ticket sales are off. The deadline has passed and indications are that the number is down. I even got a call yesterday asking why I hadn't renewed my order after having season tickets for 60 years. Never heard of that happening before. 

Edited by Proud Tiger

What is the legality of using an NIL autograph session for the entire team as a defacto price of admission?

Set up tables on the concourse with only one gate open. Put all or some of the players out there. Technically entry is free, but those who feel inclined could pay a set or minimum amount for autographs, letting all the money go to players. Could only do that on a laxed occasion like A day.

The media openings for spring ball have been limited to positional drills and most of the interviews are not juicy. So even though beat writers are getting access, the information is actually pretty slim.