Charging for A-Day

Proud Tiger

I'd want to think that back in the 70's, they charge and the money went to the FCA...

Outside of maybe meeting the players or just seeing the stadium, there's more fun for the kids to be had for $10 than going to an A-Day. Really boring affair once you get past the initial thrill of "hey, Auburn football's back!" 

Maybe make it $5 for kids, that could help. I honestly don't remember if there's a halftime, but if there is, you could do some football game for the kids on the field during that period. I dunno 

• Like 1

Alabama doesn’t charge for their A day. The poor little brother Auburn needs the money   😂

Edited by beagle34
Correct sentences
  • Haha 1

The only charity type thing I can recall is one A-day Pat Dye gave all the proceeds to the library. At that time admission was $5. Was A-day free back when I was a student in the late 1960's? At any point between then and now? I don't remember one way or the other.

• Like 1

If not completely free then I'd say charge for adults and have free admission for kids 16 and under maybe? 

I agree that A-day probably isn't worth making a trip to Auburn for unless you already live somewhat close by and want to do or see other things around town/campus. 

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Outside of maybe meeting the players or just seeing the stadium, there's more fun for the kids to be had for $10 than going to an A-Day. Really boring affair once you get past the initial thrill of "hey, Auburn football's back!" 

Maybe make it $5 for kids, that could help. I honestly don't remember if there's a halftime, but if there is, you could do some football game for the kids on the field during that period. I dunno 

Is there really anyone other there that isn't going to go over $5 or $10?

On 4/7/2022 at 9:31 AM, aubiefifty said:

it is my understanding they have always charged for  A-day and given the money to charity. am i wrong or have they changed this?is this true proud? do you know? i used to be upset because the turds A-day game is free until i read it was helping charity but that has been a minute or three so it might have changed?

That was likely a coping mechanism for our fans to make us feel better about AU charging our fans.  IIRC, at that time the turds stayed at maximum capacity in their stadium for their A-Day and it was free of charge to all those rabid mouth breathers in turdsville. 

Do you remember laughing at them for being "star-gazers" and making fun of their recruiting national championships year after year after year?  

Edited by JerryAU
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Sorry if this has been asked... Will the game be on TV?

Not that I'm aware of.

4 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

If not completely free then I'd say charge for adults and have free admission for kids 16 and under maybe? 

I agree that A-day probably isn't worth making a trip to Auburn for unless you already live somewhat close by and want to do or see other things around town/campus. 

Perfect A-Day would be football game then head over to the baseball or softball game (if they're in town)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What do you think this thread is about?

It's about ppl thinking it's  revenue source for the AD, per the OP

21 minutes ago, woodford said:

TANSTAAFL......

Take any nursing student straight to Auburn and feel love?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, woodford said:

Perfect A-Day would be football game then head over to the baseball or softball game (if they're in town)

Baseball at 4 tomorrow. Coordinated with A Day game ending and fans enjoying a “perfect A Day”. Seems that A day game should be free. More the type of thing people pop in for a bit and leave. IMO take a hard core fan to sit the the whole dog and pony show. Went last year and had seen enough well before halftime. Seems I have been in the past and able to just walk in after kickoff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Baseball at 4 tomorrow. Coordinated with A Day game ending and fans enjoying a “perfect A Day”. Seems that A day game should be free. More the type of thing people pop in for a bit and leave. IMO take a hard core fan to sit the the whole dog and pony show. Went last year and had seen enough well before halftime. Seems I have been in the past and able to just walk in after kickoff

It's a lot to leave on the table. I sure wouldn't want to see thousands of dollars lost if I were in charge of the books. Just me though. None of this really matters so it's a silly argument.

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Not that I'm aware of.

Not on TV but it is streaming on ESPN+ and SECN+.  I'm sure sportsurge ("free" stream site just FYI) will have streams up as well.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's about ppl thinking it's  revenue source for the AD, per the OP

I have four football posts in the last month in this section and the fifth will not be arguing about the value of an A-Day ticket 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I have four football posts in the last month in this section and the fifth will not be arguing about the value of an A-Day ticket 

Ok?

I remember having this discussion years ago, but it makes even more sense now.  The thought was if the game was free the Alabama fans would show up and troll the game, cause problems and be a pr nightmare.  With social media they could really organize something now

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, beagle34 said:

Alabama doesn’t charge for their A day. The poor little brother Auburn needs the money   😂

Hell we gotta pay the last 12 head coaches somehow 

On 4/7/2022 at 9:16 AM, aubaseball said:

Agree 100%.  If you want to charge money, open the concession stands and sell food and drinks.   Charging money for a practice is petty and reeks of desperation.    

Hey, those buy outs are very expensive.  ;)

5$ with inflation is like a dollar. Cmon man, it’s five dollars, and y’all probably pay that for your morning coffee at Starbucks.

Kids free makes sense though.

• Like 1

Spring 2012 I went to A-Day as a college student and paid $5 and watched a glorified practice with my dad and nephew. We sat next to the band and got a gnarly tan. We had a great time. Unfortunately $5 then goes about as far as $10 does today, but that's a macroeconomics discussion for another day... Point is it costs money to put on a game-day like atmosphere for just a public scrimmage. Have you seen the rise in ticket costs? And that's just the face value. Anyway, a $10 A-Day admission is still pretty fair.

• Like 3