A-Day Game thread

Tigerpro2a

HG is the truth. Mechanics are incredible. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

If it had not had been batted down it was a TD. 

IMO that play isn't called with TJ or Ashford on the field.  Geriner throws the slant perfectly, he hit one earlier in the drive that was absolutely perfect for his WR to catch.

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

IMO that play isn't called with TJ or Ashford on the field.  Geriner throws the slant perfectly, he hit one earlier in the drive that was absolutely perfect for his WR to catch.

They also went 5 wide with him in.... with walk-ons at receiver. Don't think they did that as much with the other two

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

And they have size now.  It's been a while since Auburn has had true a Jason Witten size TEs.

I liked what I saw from Frazier.  He is a massive target

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

They also went 5 wide with him in.... with walk-ons at receiver. Don't think they did that as much with the other two

I was surprised to see 00 personnel for the 2 pt play but it looked good. The slant call didn't surprise me it can cross the D up

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

All and all Geriner probably has the slight edge on Ashford just based on the small sample size he played. TJ is almost 1 to 1 . One good play db then the next u scratching ur head. Man in a live game TJ would have gotten decimated from his blind side

Still accepting tickets to the Gernier train.  Hopefully now some you guys start believing me.  😂

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Still accepting tickets to the Gernier train.  Hopefully now some you guys start believing me.  😂

Hey I've been on with you brother. Doesnt look like a lot of weaknesses for a freshman 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Imagine how he would look with an average SEC OL. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I doubt there were many on this board that didn't think HG was the real deal.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, woodford said:

Imagine how he would look with an average SEC OL. 

And receivers. Playing with walk-ons today. Granted, he may have been going against walk-on defense too

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Yes he did.

But I don't expect to see him start. He's still a freshman. 

Time to trust CBH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Byrd I am hoping you are watching.  I know you always watch the DB's. Wooden looked good in run support how has he looked in coverage?

Tough to see it all with out either the EZ or all-22.  There was some good things, but it's was crazy at my house when the game was on.  

I'll watch later and add some thoughts. He looked small, but was all over the place.

I am happy that Ashford looked good today. My hope was that he comes in and does enough to beat out the two upperclassmen. We know what we have with TJ and Zach, and it ain’t good. At least with Ashford, there’s a little bit more hope. Holden is a beast. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Exactly. People keep trying to say he can drastically improve. But that isn’t how accuracy works. Bad three point shooters don’t suddenly become good with work. Neither do inaccurate QBs. Best we can ask for is marginal improvement.

There are plenty of examples of bad three-point shooters becoming good ones (LeBron, Jason Kidd, etc.) and a few examples of inaccurate QBs becoming accurate ones (Dak Prescott). Obviously, the latter is much more rare, but it IS possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Didba said:

I doubt there were many on this board that didn't think HG was the real deal.

There were a few.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HabitualChiller said:

There are plenty of examples of bad three-point shooters becoming good ones (LeBron, Jason Kidd, etc.) and a few examples of inaccurate QBs becoming accurate ones (Dak Prescott). Obviously, the latter is much more rare, but it IS possible.

There are a few examples, but it’s just really rare. Even the ones you listed I feel like we’re marginal improvements. 

Considering Ashford was playing with the twos he did really well today. He's gonna produce with his legs and arms

47 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I am happy that Ashford looked good today. My hope was that he comes in and does enough to beat out the two upperclassmen. We know what we have with TJ and Zach, and it ain’t good. At least with Ashford, there’s a little bit more hope. Holden is a beast. 

Tell me what you don't like about Finley and what you don't like about Zach and why you think neither of them are good? Curious especially on Calzada.

You guys really need to slow down on the Holden hype. A true frosh completing routine throws in a literal scrimmage isn't enough to warrant throwing him into the SEC fire.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Respectfully this is my problem with a QB competition if it comes down to just knowing "the playbook" the most. That's not an actual QB race to me. I get understanding the playbook but coaches can always adjust and bring a QB along if he's the best QB to lead the team. 

This is my fear of what may happen with our QB race. I hope not. I want the BEST QB to start that gives us the best chance to win. I get that understanding the playbook is apart of that. However, I want the attitude of our coaches to be...give me the most talented QB and I'll scheme a way so he's successful and get him up to speed as the season goes on to what we want to fully run. I just don't consider it to be a real QB competition if a coach is simply going to give more weight to a guy that just so happened to get the most game experience but is inconsistent. 

I totally agree. Just from following spring practice, Harsin’s comments, and his tendencies I think his mindset is someone is going to have to be significantly better than TJ to take the job. I don’t agree with that, just think that’s what is likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aublue88 said:

#12 best passer, would not rule him out

He threw the ball well, but he didn’t have any deep throws, which apparently is where he’s been struggling. 

4 minutes ago, HabitualChiller said:

You guys really need to slow down on the Holden hype. A true frosh completing routine throws in a literal scrimmage isn't enough to warrant throwing him into the SEC fire.

Everybody thinks that Trevor Lawrence and Tua are the norm now, not the exception. The expectation now is for Tr Freshmen to be great by the time they set foot on campus. But that’s still extremely rare. 

• Facepalm 1