A-Day Game thread

Tigerpro2a

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Won’t be able to watch full game until tomorrow but sounds like Ashford could be the guy. We may have a scenario like the one I presented in the other thread - where TJ is a marginally better passer with more knowledge of the playbook, but Ashford is a drastically better athlete.

Ashford has shown much more as a passer. Same yards, same completions, less incomplete and bad throws. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I believe this is the ultimate battle for the back up QB spot when it is all said and done. I really believe ZC is going to beat them both out.

Yep, lol. It's Calzada, which is fine because he's the only one right now that I think can be a game manager

• Like 1

I like the offense I have seen so far. Really good mixture of plays and unlike in the past I am not able to tell people what play it will be before it is run.

• Like 2

Just now, au302 said:

Yep, lol. It's Calzada, which is fine because he's the only one right now that I think can be a game manager

Can't be a game manager when no one else around you makes plays. With a line which cannot run block for tank and SEC B team recievers, a playmaker is required. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Won’t be able to watch full game until tomorrow but sounds like Ashford could be the guy. We may have a scenario like the one I presented in the other thread - where TJ is a marginally better passer with more knowledge of the playbook, but Ashford is a drastically better athlete.

Robby had one really solid strike down field to Caipers, but I'd like to see him throw more deep balls.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Ashford has shown much more as a passer. Same yards, same completions, less incomplete and bad throws. 

Rightly or wrongly I think TJ’s knowledge of the playbook is going to be a huge advantage for him. I think he wins any sort of close race.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

Can't be a game manager when no one else around you makes plays. With a line which cannot run block for tank and SEC B team recievers, a playmaker is required. 

We tried that for 3 years with horrible results. We need to try and push the ball downfield. Between MJJ, Fair, Dawson, and Johnson we have guys that can take the top off the defense. Catching is another story

I am not sure I would concede the starting position to Calzada . He is coming from another program and wasn’t going to be the starter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Rightly or wrongly I think TJ’s knowledge of the playbook is going to be a huge advantage for him. I think he wins any sort of close race.

I disagree and tend to think the coaches will take less playbook knowledge and superior athletics over the big pile of meh that tj is

• Love 2

Bo might have been as fast as Ashford but was not as quick and decisive as Ashford. I hope we see Geriner now.

Not sure light is going to completely come on for Finley.  RA looks pretty good, being versatile is always good to me.   Receivers catching the ball is refreshing, Capers made a couple of hard catches look easy.  I think defense is going to be fine, they are limited today and probably told not to do anything too strenuous.  

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

We tried that for 3 years with horrible results. We need to try and push the ball downfield. Between MJJ, Fair, Dawson, and Johnson we have guys that can take the top off the defense. Catching is another story

A QB throwing bombs isn't a game manager. We've had to use that style because for 3 years we haven't been able to stop a HS pass rush. Being speedy and taking the top off doesn't work when you don't have a QB who can make the throw and a line that can block. Plus without quality possession and intermediate short passing we can't just run deep. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Respectfully this is my problem with a QB competition if it comes down to just knowing "the playbook" the most. That's not an actual QB race to me. I get understanding the playbook but coaches can always adjust and bring a QB along if he's the best QB to lead the team. 

This is my fear of what may happen with our QB race. I hope not. I want the BEST QB to start that gives us the best chance to win. I get that understanding the playbook is apart of that. However, I want the attitude of our coaches to be...give me the most talented QB and I'll scheme a way so he's successful and get him up to speed as the season goes on to what we want to fully run. I just don't consider it to be a real QB competition if a coach is simply going to give more weight to a guy that just so happened to get the most game experience but is inconsistent. 

• Like 3