Holden Geriner is the best Hs QB we've recruited since Jason Campbell

W.E.D

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

For what it is worth, Holden has not been told he will redshirt yet and is still competing for the starting job.  Right now he is putting all of his focus in the playbook.

Remember coming across an article shortly after we hired Harsin about his playbook. It was about Bachmeier when he was a freshman. Said he had to enlist his gf to help quiz him on it and that they would study it for two hours every night. Said it's really complex. So makes sense when Harsin said Geriner's still swimming a bit and that he'll make a ton of growth over the summer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

A number of big programs were recruiting DD -- georgia, notre dame, tex a/m, Lsu -- to be fair DD would have been more of a fit in a Malzahn offense and he was probably eyeing him as a n. Marshall type qb than Harsins vision of offense -- I agree about Geriner, I think he is looking really promising. 

Yes. He would have been awful under Gus like every other HS QB.  Also, extremely doubtful he could have committed to most of those programs you listed. 

Can take very little from A day and the word “potential” is as good as Monopoly money. If his time comes, I can’t wait to see how he handles adversity in a real game against a quality opponent. The only two players who seemingly succeeded in that department as of late has been Nick Marshall and Cam Newton.

• Like 2

I guess after having the 5 Star shoved down our throats for so long... I gotta see it with my own two eyes. 

No offense to any family members on here, but I have seen alot of HS QBs come down the pike in the last 50 years and to proclaim "the best since" is either arrogance or ignorance... lets see how it ends up.

1 hour ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

I guess after having the 5 Star shoved down our throats for so long... I gotta see it with my own two eyes. 

No offense to any family members on here, but I have seen alot of HS QBs come down the pike in the last 50 years and to proclaim "the best since" is either arrogance or ignorance... lets see how it ends up.

Pink and Jhead had some interesting comments on this staffs approach to QB recruiting compared to the last one. Basically under Gus we'd go after whoever the best we could get each year. Didn't matter if they were dual threat, pro-style, 5-8 or 6-6. There was no "type" per se. This staff is the opposite.

If you look at Boise QB's under Harsin they were all basically clones of each other. I think it makes sense because you can just plug the next guy in your offense rather than have to adjust your offense around entirely different styles of QB's every other years and confuse everyone. Maybe this will lead to less busts and poor fits than we've seen the past decade 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, au302 said:

Pink and Jhead had some interesting comments on this staffs approach to QB recruiting compared to the last one. Basically under Gus we'd go after whoever the best we could get each year. Didn't matter if they were dual threat, pro-style, 5-8 or 6-6. There was no "type" per se. This staff is the opposite.

If you look at Boise QB's under Harsin they were all basically clones of each other. I think it makes sense because you can just plug the next guy in your offense rather than have to adjust your offense around entirely different styles of QB's every other years and confuse everyone. Maybe this will lead to less busts and poor fits than we've seen the past decade 

That's the difference between HS and college. HS you have to adjust to the kids every year, each year is a new undertaking. In college, it's the, or should be, opposite. You build your program and recruit to the needs.  Gus couldn't do that. We were a power run, play action team that couldn't recruit or develop OL, QB, or WR.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's the difference between HS and college. HS you have to adjust to the kids every year, each year is a new undertaking. In college, it's the, or should be, opposite. You build your program and recruit to the needs.  Gus couldn't do that. We were a power run, play action team that couldn't recruit or develop OL, QB, or WR.

And we have to wait and see where our existing coach falls on the bar of recruiting needed players for set systems of offense/defense. Not enough time to accurately assess at this point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The bar isn't very high, unless we count Malik Willis. 

This was really why I made that post.  We haven't had one develop and be successful at Auburn since JC.  It's actually wild to think about it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This was really why I made that post.  We haven't had one develop and be successful at Auburn since JC.  It's actually wild to think about it

I would argue that Cox was "successful". I don't know if I'd argue much beyond that, but I'd call him successful. But, to your point, he's probably the bar. 

• Like 2

On 4/9/2022 at 3:07 PM, W.E.D said:

Facts?

Bo Nix is the highest ranked high school QB we’ve signed at a .9857 ranking. 

Jason Campbell is 2nd at a .9853 ranking.

Joey Gatewood is 3rd at a .9759 ranking.

Kiehl Frazier is 4th at a .9725.

Edited by Viper

50 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We haven't had one develop and be successful at Auburn since JC.  It's actually wild to think about it

And it took Campbell a full FIVE years to develop as a Redshirt Senior. 

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would argue that Cox was "successful". I don't know if I'd argue much beyond that, but I'd call him successful. But, to your point, he's probably the bar. 

He would do well in this offense, IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. I bet Chris Todd would, too. 

Of the "not stars" QBs we've had, I think Burger and White would kill it under CBH. I hadn't thought of Todd, but I believe you're right. Slack is another, I think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Of the "not stars" QBs we've had, I think Burger and White would kill it under CBH. I hadn't thought of Todd, but I believe you're right. Slack is another, I think.

It's so, soooo exciting to have a QB-friendly offense back on the Plains. And by "QB-friendly", I mean that the offense isn't designed to make completing passes as difficult as possible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He would do well in this offense, IMO.

Not sure if it is the evolution of offenses or scheme, but I remember Cox being pretty good...but his stats are pretty meh.  Comp% below 60% of most season.  y/a is ok, but poor his last year.  He played on some talented teams.  Figured they would be a little better than what they were.

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Not sure if it is the evolution of offenses or scheme, but I remember Cox being pretty good...but his stats are pretty meh.  Comp% below 60% of most season.  y/a is ok, but poor his last year.  He played on some talented teams.  Figured they would be a little better than what they were.

He played hurt quite a bit of the time IIRC. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Viper said:

Bo Nix is the highest ranked high school QB we’ve signed at a .9857 ranking. 

Jason Campbell is 2nd at a .9853 ranking.

Joey Gatewood is 3rd at a .9759 ranking.

Kiehl Frazier is 4th at a .9725.

Dang!! That list is 🤮

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Once Tubbs figured out Kenny Irons was better than Tre Smith, Cox played lights out in 05 because of a phenomenal supporting cast. Four stud WRs plus that O-Line blocking for him gave him ample time to throw. Throw in Irons to carry the load and that was a very good under-center offense.

After much of that 05 talent left, 06 and esp 07 really exploited Cox’s weaknesses.

2 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Dang!! That list is 🤮

The list out of HS is 🤯 🥳

The list after a certain person's influence is 🤢🤮🤬💩

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

And It took Campbell 4 yrs to develop.  His coming out party was his sr yr

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Stan or Sean White? I believe that both would have succeeded under CBH.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

Stan or Sean White? I believe that both would have succeeded under CBH.

Both really, but I was thinking of Stan

• Like 1