Holden Geriner is the best Hs QB we've recruited since Jason Campbell

W.E.D

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Well that's a real shame regarding the adament part.

You don’t think knowing the offense is prerequisite to starting?  That’s an odd take.

16 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

You don’t think knowing the offense is prerequisite to starting?  That’s an odd take.

uh well for one, a ton of qb's have to endure a new offensive coordinator year after year -- which is the case with auburn this year so they're all starting from the same place. 

15 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

uh well for one, a ton of qb's have to endure a new offensive coordinator year after year -- which is the case with auburn this year so they're all starting from the same place. 

No they aren't.  Yes there is a new OC, but the terminology, protections, and plays are the same.  That gives an incredible advantage to the one that's been here for a year.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No they aren't.  Yes there is a new OC, but the terminology, protections, and plays are the same.  That gives an incredible advantage to the one that's been here for a year.

You tell'em birdy!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

You may be correct but I believe the offense will contain a lot of same plays as last years was a composite of Harsin/Bobo. I would think TJ has a leg up on the rest but definitely believe Geriner least likely as he is also trying to transition from HS. Not impossible just improbable IMO.

• Like 1

I think we have a QB room full of high character guys. Kids you want to root for. Whatever the result of the competition is, I like the culture in that room, and it seems indicative of what Harsin is trying to build. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

On 4/9/2022 at 6:46 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

With TJ u have no idea what will happen when he drops back. It could be a bullet right on target or sail 10 yards over the receivers head. That happened today. Consistently inconsistent 

^^^This^^^

TJ's performance in A-Day looked like his performance last year. If his inconsistency cannot be coached out, and TJ starts, it will lose us some games.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2022 at 3:32 PM, W.E.D said:

I don't want him to start right now. I'm pretty adamant on TrFr never starting...but I think he's gonna be a good one. He was playing vs walk ons, but he looked good

did you think D Davis look good last year?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, eaglenest said:

did you think D Davis look good last year?

No 

The sample size for Holden is too small to make any type of real determination and even then we have been burned by bigger sample sizes with better performances  for example 2014 Half game opening day  Jeremy Johnson vs Arkansas

9 hours ago, eaglenest said:

that's about how I feel about Holden 

That's fine.  We all have opinions.  I don't know another HS QB that we've recruited that fits the bill.  Bo was an athlete playing QB that never developed the QB side of things.  IDK if you had some high opinion of DD, but he's another failed evaluation from Gus.  That stretches to his time as OC.  Nothing but disasters out of HS.  There really isn't much to write home about between 2000 Jason Campbell and Holden out of HS.

Maybe Holden fails like the rest, but he seems better to me.

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Malik Willis....

QB who developed after HS, I agree.  Purely HS, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

QB who developed after HS, I agree.  Purely HS, I'm not sure.

Off bat he put up numbers during the spring games and stuff. But to be honest this question can't be answered. To answer one way or the other you'd have to buy into somebody's else opinion.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 5:19 PM, Barnacle said:

I think we have a QB room full of high character guys. Kids you want to root for. Whatever the result of the competition is, I like the culture in that room, and it seems indicative of what Harsin is trying to build. 

I'm not trying to argue but I don't know when that wasn't the case. That shouldn't have been anything to actually build up, but I guess I'm on the side where I look at the kids and just see the good in them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Off bat he put up numbers during the spring games and stuff. But to be honest this question can't be answered. To answer one way or the other you'd have to buy into somebody's else opinion.

I don't know a better pure QB out of HS that we recruited in the last 20 years.  He put up better numbers than Jeremey Johnson.  Was better in HS than Malik.  Is the size of an actual football player vs Dee Davis.  Gene or Gus had Tyreek Rollison, Barrett Trotter, Neal Caudlle (might be a Tubs leftover), Kheil Fraizer, Shawn White.  Tubs had Brandon Cox, and I'm not sure who else

For what it is worth, Holden has not been told he will redshirt yet and is still competing for the starting job.  Right now he is putting all of his focus in the playbook.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm not trying to argue but I don't know when that wasn't the case. That shouldn't have been anything to actually build up, but I guess I'm on the side where I look at the kids and just see the good in them

I wasn’t implying that it wasn’t the case at any other time. 

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I don't know a better pure QB out of HS that we recruited in the last 20 years.  He put up better numbers than Jeremey Johnson.  Was better in HS than Malik.  Is the size of an actual football player vs Dee Davis.  Gene or Gus had Tyreek Rollison, Barrett Trotter, Neal Caudlle (might be a Tubs leftover), Kheil Fraizer, Shawn White.  Tubs had Brandon Cox, and I'm not sure who else

Yeah that's what I'm saying we really don't know who's a better qb in high school. Like you mentioned he was better than Malik then but we don't really know. It would be hard to say anybody was a better QB than Frazier in high school and he was one of the worst college QB's......I'm just saying as far as the question you can't know because you can't establish a baseline to compare. You can only really go off of college and even then you can have a case such as Willis where you still don't know.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I wasn’t implying that it wasn’t the case at any other time. 

Right. I figured you weren't, I'm just saying that usually the case everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

For what it is worth, Holden has not been told he will redshirt yet and is still competing for the starting job.  Right now he is putting all of his focus in the playbook.

Correctly so.

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It would be hard to say anybody was a better QB than Frazier in high school

That's who I thought of.

Coach Ray and I were talking about a day ago about the similarities between TJ and Kiehl.  All the talent and more than capable but mentally abused early in their career. Kiehl couldn't recover, I hope TJ can with his time available.

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Right. I figured you weren't, I'm just saying that usually the case everywhere.

Oh I don’t disagree. I just like the guys we have in that room. That’s all I was saying. 

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

IDK if you had some high opinion of DD, but he's another failed evaluation from Gus.  That stretches to his time as OC.  Nothing but disasters out of HS.  

A number of big programs were recruiting DD -- georgia, notre dame, tex a/m, Lsu -- to be fair DD would have been more of a fit in a Malzahn offense and he was probably eyeing him as a n. Marshall type qb than Harsins vision of offense -- I agree about Geriner, I think he is looking really promising. 

• Like 1