2022 Transfer Big Johni Broome SIGNS WITH AU!!!

ellitor

All-OVC first teamer Johni Broome officially hits NCAA Transfer Portal

Jonathan Wagnerabout 3 hours
all-ovc-first-teamer-johni-broome-officially-hits-ncaa-transfer-portal-morehead-state Michael Allio/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images.

Johni Broome, who was named an All-OVC First Team selection this season at Morehead State, has officially entered the NCAA Transfer Portal, On3’s Matt Zenitzconfirmed on Monday.

Broome began his collegiate career last season, playing in 30 games with 27 starts for Morehead State. He averaged 13.7 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks as a freshman. This season, Broome impressed by averaging 16.8 points, 10.5 rebounds, 3.9 blocks, and 1.2 assists while playing 28.3 minutes per game. He started all of Morehead State’s 34 games this season. 

Now, the talented forward is looking a new home. Broome will likely have no shortage of suitors in the portal.

Ellitor speaks and it shall be done!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Ellitor speaks and it shall be done!

Lol. Insiders on On3 clued readers onto Broome last week. I am merely a messenger.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Lol. Insiders on On3 clued readers onto Broome last week. I am merely a messenger.

All prophets are delivering messages from a higher being 😉

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

Per this, Morehead C Johni Broome is visiting next weekend. UK also in the running, but if Tshiebwe returns I imagine he wouldn’t want to go there. Needless to say, this would go a long way toward re-loading the front court. Not a great shooter, but super athletic/great finisher around the rim and great shot blocker. 

• Like 2

Top transfer Johni Broome to officially visit Auburn

Nathan King

7-9 minutes

247Sports

In its continued efforts to adequately replace a departing All-American frontcourt, Auburn will welcome one of the nation's most productive big men from last season to campus this weekend.

Morehead State transfer Johni Broome will officially visit Auburn this coming weekend, Auburn Undercover has learned. According to other reports, Kentucky, Gonzaga, Texas Tech, LSU, Houston, Alabama and Arkansas are also potential suitors, among others.

With a school record 131 blocks, Broome was the Ohio Valley Conference defensive player of the year last season, finishing No. 3 in the country in blocks per game (3.85) — directly behind Auburn's Walker Kessler. The 6-foot-10 sophomore played center for Morehead State, scoring 16.8 points per game (57.0% from the floor) along with 10.5 rebounds.

He scored a career-high 32 points in the OVC tournament championship game against Murray State, nearly willing the Eagles to the NCAA tournament. Morehead State also faced Auburn last season in the regular-season opener; Broome had 12 points and eight rebounds, but shot a season-low 33.3% against Kessler.

Broome, a native of Tampa, Florida, is the No. 2 rated available transfer, according to 247Sports. He also entered his name in the NBA draft process upon transferring but did not hire an agent and is not expected to turn pro.

Jabari Smith (SEC Freshman of the Year) and Kessler (SEC Defensive Player of the Year) both declared their intentions to turn pro last week — and both should be first-round picks, with Smith a real possibility to go No. 1 overall.

18COMMENTS

Bruce Pearl has already begun to reload, with five-star big man Yohan Traore committing to the Tigers' 2022 class late last month, after he backed off his LSU pledge following Will Wade's ouster.

Auburn also returns juniors Jaylin Williams and Dylan Cardwell in the frontcourt from last season's rotation.

">247SportsTimer List

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 3:34 PM, AUBwins said:

All prophets are delivering messages from a higher being 😉

i get high do i count? also i love the name of his school but maybe it is just me.......grins

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

Per 247, it looks like the battle will be between Auburn and Florida. He is from Tampa, FL. Looks to be making decision after Florida official visit.

48 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Per 247, it looks like the battle will be between Auburn and Florida. He is from Tampa, FL. Looks to be making decision after Florida official visit.

Castleton has announced he’s returning at UF, not sure if/how that will affect his decision….

Edited by fredst

57 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Florida is a non issue. Auburn all the way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fredst said:

Castleton has announced he’s returning at UF, not sure if/how that will affect his decision….

It seems unrealistic for them to play both simultaneously since neither can space the floor. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

SIAP, but how many years will he have left?  Will he likely be granted immediate eligibility?

I sincerely doubt he would be a target if he were not granted immediate eligibility, but I don't have a clue how many years he'll have left.

8 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

SIAP, but how many years will he have left?  Will he likely be granted immediate eligibility?

@War to the Eagle3 & everyone in the portal right now is immediately eligible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

@War to the Eagle3 & everyone in the portal right now is immediately eligible.

Thanks. Is it still COVID that’s allowing everyone to be immediately eligible? Eventually that will have to lapse/end. It’s obviously appropriate as long as there are people impacted by it. 

The other thing that occurs to me is immediate eligibility for transfers is something the NCAA was exploring even before COVID. I wonder if this hastens that process. That would make the portal even crazier.

14 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Thanks. Is it still COVID that’s allowing everyone to be immediately eligible?

@War to the EagleNo. Has nothing to do with Covid. A 1 time transfer rule was pushed long before covid & was in the planning stages to be passed even before Covid hit. Every player is immediately eligible upon their 1st transfer assuming they put their name in the portal before May 1. SEC has a deadline foe inter transfers of some time in Feb for players to be in the portal by to immediately eligible.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@War to the EagleNo. Has nothing to do with Covid. A 1 time transfer rule was pushed long before covid & was in the planning stages to be passed even before Covid hit. Every player is immediately eligible upon their 1st transfer assuming they put their name in the portal before May 1. SEC has a deadline foe inter transfers of some time in Feb for players to be in the portal by to immediately eligible.

So the sit-out rule only comes into effect after a first-time transfer?

6 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

So the sit-out rule only comes into effect after a first-time transfer?

Yup. Unless a player is a grad transfer then their 2nd transfer is immediately eligible too.

• Thanks 1