2022 Transfer Big Johni Broome SIGNS WITH AU!!!

ellitor

3 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

The Tennessee transfer that visited Thursday-Friday just committed to Louisville. Hopefully, this is a sign Broome is coming.

Or he got tired of waiting

3 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

The Tennessee transfer that visited Thursday-Friday just committed to Louisville. Hopefully, this is a sign Broome is coming.

SIAP but Broome may not be a take. Julian Phillips is priority #1 & after that next priority me be a wing that can shoot from deep per JLee.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

SIAP but Broome may not be a take. Julian Phillips is priority #1 & after that next priority me be a wing that can shoot from deep per JLee.

I thought Phillips is more of a 3/4 player. Who's going to anchor the middle? Broome will play the 5.

6 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

I thought Phillips is more of a 3/4 player.

He is but he's more of a scorer than shooter.

Who's going to anchor the middle?

If we wait to try to find a wing that can shoot then a combo of Cardwell, Yohan. Jaylin, & Stretch.

Broome will play the 5.

Wherever he goes yes.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He is but he's more of a scorer than shooter.

If we wait to try to find a wing that can shoot then a combo of Cardwell, Yohan. Jaylin, & Stretch.

Wherever he goes yes.

No offense but Cardwell and Stretch do not have the skill set to be starters. Stretch was terrible the season he last played. He constantly got beat by the other team's post players. I just hate to see Broome go to Florida then he and Castleton become the best front court in the SEC. Jaylin Williams is an undersized post who will get out rebounded by bigger post players. We need a rim protector. I don't see no one on this current roster playing that role.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

No offense but Cardwell and Stretch do not have the skill set to be starters.

Agree on Stetch. On Cardwell if he progresses like he did from last year to this year he can definitely be a starter. Don't forget in terms of blocks per minutes played DC was among the highest in the SEC. Definitely not the shot blocker Kess is but he can still solidly fill the role of rim protector.

26 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

We need a rim protector. I don't see no one on this current roster playing that role.

Guess you didn't realize how solid of a shot blocker DC is.

• Like 3

To elaborate on Cardwell. He had 1.2 blocks per game playing 11.5 minutes per game. If you logically double his minutes if we don't get another C, & DC can keep up his pace you are looking at about 2.4 blocks per game. That would put him in the top 25 this season in BPG. Definite solid rim protector numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To elaborate on Cardwell. He had 1.2 blocks per game playing 11.5 minutes per game. If you logically double his minutes if we don't get another C, & DC can keep up his pace you are looking at about 2.4 blocks per game. That would put him in the top 25 this season in BPG. Definite solid rim protector numbers.

Yes, if Cardwell starts at the 5. That leaves Stretch coming off the bench and opposing team's will be like Sharks seeing blood in the water.  Broome and Caselton seems like the better duo on paper. I was hoping we would take Broome and Phillips and hope that the returning guards develop their shots in the off season. Phillips is tall but needs a season of college strength and conditioning especially playing in the SEC. He seems small in frame and will constantly get posted up. What wing are we recruiting to help with 3-point shooting?

I'm having a hard time believing Broome is not a take. Not only is his defense solid, he is going to score a lot of points.  We are going to give that up for a wing who we are just hoping is out there? If we lose Broome, I don't think it will be because we didn't offer.

that leaves Stretch coming off the bench

Not necessarily & more so unlikely. Jaylin & Traore likely move over to the 5 before Stretch plays.

8 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Broome and Caselton seems like the better duo on paper

In terms of raw talent maybe but they play the same position so how well they fit together remains to be seen. Especially when you factor in Todd Golden as the new HC. He's a deciple of Bruce who definitely believes in Bruce's philosophy of having at least 1 big on the floor who can space the court out. Neither Broom or Casselton has a game to space the floor out.

12 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

will constantly get posted up

Unlikely since he will be playing mostly wings & most wings don't post up other wings.

13 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

What wing are we recruiting to help with 3-point shooting?

Not aware of any but it is a priority so they may leave the scholly open for when they can find one instead of committing a scholly on Broome for the next 3 years.

1 minute ago, Cardin Drake said:

Not only is his defense solid, he is going to score a lot of points

Not necesarily. He did score 17 a game at Morehead but that's weak competition & most if not all his point were put backs or lay ups.

3 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

If we lose Broome, I don't think it will be because we didn't offer.

Believe what you will but info is coming from JLee & in terms of Bball recruiting AU info he's damn good.

It's just surprising info; pretty much the opposite of what we have been led to believe about Broome. I don't mean to cast aspersions on the source when I'm just speculating. I hope we get both Phillips and Broome.

34 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

It's just surprising info; pretty much the opposite of what we have been led to believe about Broome. I don't mean to cast aspersions on the source when I'm just speculating. I hope we get both Phillips and Broome.

Get Phillips, Broome, and a 3 pt shooter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Would need someone to leave to add all 3 of those pieces.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not necessarily & more so unlikely. Jaylin & Traore likely move over to the 5 before Stretch plays.

In terms of raw talent maybe but they play the same position so how well they fit together remains to be seen. Especially when you factor in Todd Golden as the new HC. He's a deciple of Bruce who definitely believes in Bruce's philosophy of having at least 1 big on the floor who can space the court out. Neither Broom or Casselton has a game to space the floor out.

Unlikely since he will be playing mostly wings & most wings don't post up other wings.

Not aware of any but it is a priority so they may leave the scholly open for when they can find one instead of committing a scholly on Broome for the next 3 years.

Jaylin Williams and Stretch will be Seniors this upcoming season. At least if we would sign Broome, we would have him and Cardwell as big man the following season. I'm assuming Phillips and Traore are one and done type of players. Now you have to recruit the transfer portal and high school players. I see only one big man in the 23' class crystal balled to Auburn, the 6'10 young man from North Carolina who has visited twice. I just feel if we pass up on Broome, even if we sign Phillips, it is going to come back and bite us. I like Jaylin Williams but I still feel he is undersized and will get exposed around the rim. Stretch and Moore will not bring much off the bench unless they really develop in the off-season.

6 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Don't have room for all 3 unless someone leaves. Right now with the undergrad window to transfer & play immediately without a waiver closing this Sunday it's looking unlikely anyone leaves.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Still a lot of time left but I am bewildered with Stretch still being on the roster, if I was being honest  

Agreed but maybe he cares more about the AU education he's getting than more PT. Bruce is not going to tell a quality character guy like him to leave.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Jaylin Williams and Stretch will be Seniors this upcoming season.

Both have covid years they can take so could be here 2 more years.

52 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

I'm assuming Phillips and Traore are one and done type of players.

I wouldn't assume that til we see them play in college. JP in particular has some strength he may want to build up a 2nd year before leaving.

55 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

I just feel if we pass up on Broome, even if we sign Phillips, it is going to come back and bite us.

I don't. Bruce has shown he can reload the roster well when people leave.

• Like 1

I know everybody keeps saying Jaylin is undersized as a 5 which he is but he adds an outside shot and if a bigger 5 comes out on him his ball handling skills will allow him to beat the big. In addition he has some skills down low where he has beaten bigs down low in the past.  He won't be a shot blocker per se but he plays tough post Defense. If Cardwell can add a little post scoring we will be fine if we don't sign Broome but do sign Phillips. That said I like Broome but I trust Bruce. If either Flanigan or Westry or both can provide a decent 3 point threat we will be fine even without Broome and another Wing.  A lot will depend on how well Flanigan and Westry develop this summer and fall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Agreed but maybe he cares more about the AU education he's getting than more PT. Bruce is not going to tell a quality character guy like him to leave.

Sounds like maybe moving Stretch to an academic scholarship of some sort and grabbing a shooter would be a great idea….but I’m no Final 4 level head coach.

And still curious what we plan to do with Moore…shocked he’s not looking for more PT.

Edited by AUDevil

I love the hate Cardwell gets on this board from certain people. Glad that @ellitorhas been defending him. I think a lot of people forget that Cardwell was a project who did not play his Senior year of high school. The amount of growth he showed after a covid affected season was really good. I do believe he can be a quality starter at the 5 for us. He won't give you Kessler numbers as far as blocks but he can hold his own and another offseason could make a lot of you eat your words.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

And there is value in that locker room consistency, esp in today’s landscape. Everyone universally loves Stretch and he’s seen all the highs and lows. If you don’t NEED to replace him, then I understand just keeping him 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Sounds like maybe moving Stretch to an academic scholarship of some sort

Not sure it's that easy to do at AU.

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

And still curious what we plan to do with Moore

If he stays he will compete to het PT at the 3 & 4.