2022 Transfer Big Johni Broome SIGNS WITH AU!!!

ellitor

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I know everybody keeps saying Jaylin is undersized as a 5 which he is but he adds an outside shot and if a bigger 5 comes out on him his ball handling skills will allow him to beat the big. In addition he has some skills down low where he has beaten bigs down low in the past.  He won't be a shot blocker per se but he plays tough post Defense. If Cardwell can add a little post scoring we will be fine if we don't sign Broome but do sign Phillips. That said I like Broome but I trust Bruce. If either Flanigan or Westry or both can provide a decent 3 point threat we will be fine even without Broome and another Wing.  A lot will depend on how well Flanigan and Westry develop this summer and fall.

THANK YOU!!! He's not a traditional 5, but he played solid there two seasons ago when we needed it. And he's NOT undersized to play the 4, as he's listed at 6'8. I've said multiple times, and I firmly believe, that there weren't more than 10-15 PFs in the country last season better than him, he just happened to play on the same team as one of them.

At this point, if you don't trust that Bruce knows what he's doing with roster management, I don't know what to tell you. I'll be happy regardless of who we bring in with the rest of the class. Obviously, I'd love to land Phillips, and whether it's Broome or a wing that we bring in for the second scholarship, or even if we strike out and just go ahead and accept the scholarship penalty that we have to take sometime in the next few years, I trust that Coach Pearl is going to put a quality team on the floor. Frankly, I feel pretty good that that would happen even with the roster the way it currently stands.

Oh, and regarding Dylan Cardwell, I absolutely believe he could hold down the starting 5 spot if that is the way it works out. As E noted, even if he just produces at the same level as this past year without getting any better, he'll play 25-30 minutes a game and have 2.5-3 blocks per, so he's plenty good as a rim protector. Like Jaylin, I definitely prefer him coming off the bench, but that's only because I like having a starting-quality player on the floor even when it's the second team that's in. If those two had been the starters this past season, I still believe we would have had one of the best front courts in the conference. Obviously, we wouldn't have been on the same level as we were with Jabari and Walker, but I don't think there was a front court in the country that could match that pair.

While I'm at it, a purely personal side note about Kessler: my older brother's best man has a daughter who was in Kess's high school class, and she inherited her father's height (he's 6'4, I think, and she's 6'0-6'1). She's always said she wanted a guy who was taller than her, and as such, she got teased a lot about Walker being just the man for her. Of course, I don't know that the two of them were/are close, but it's an interesting tidbit I found out a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 2

We’re really not in a disaster case in terms of roster numbers. I’d definitely prefer adding a center before closing this class out, but as is:

4 guys who can play the 3 (realistically): Flan, Westry, Phillips (fingers crossed), Moore

4 guys who can play the 4 (at least in our scheme): Phillips, Jaylin, Moore, Traore

3 guys who can play 5: Jaylin, DC, Traore 

You don’t necessarily even need a superstar 5, esp if the idea is for Yohan to play the 5. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

THANK YOU!!! He's not a traditional 5, but he played solid there two seasons ago when we needed it. And he's NOT undersized to play the 4, as he's listed at 6'8. I've said multiple times, and I firmly believe, that there weren't more than 10-15 PFs in the country last season better than him, he just happened to play on the same team as one of them.

At this point, if you don't trust that Bruce knows what he's doing with roster management, I don't know what to tell you. I'll be happy regardless of who we bring in with the rest of the class. Obviously, I'd love to land Phillips, and whether it's Broome or a wing that we bring in for the second scholarship, or even if we strike out and just go ahead and accept the scholarship penalty that we have to take sometime in the next few years, I trust that Coach Pearl is going to put a quality team on the floor. Frankly, I feel pretty good that that would happen even with the roster the way it currently stands.

I trust Pearl and the coaching staff. I have to just get out of my head that there will probably never be another rim protector like Kessler. I'm just going to miss teams scared to drive to the basket because they knew Kessler was there waiting to block their shot. We could take many chances on defense because he would erase so many mistakes. I'm just hoping we will have the frontcourt to compete with Florida and Kentucky. Then I would just hate for Broome to go somewhere else and be great like Kessler came here from North Carolina and became Defensive Player of the Year.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I've said multiple times, and I firmly believe, that there weren't more than 10-15 PFs in the country last season better than him, he just happened to play on the same team as one of them.

And that would be looking at him through O & B glasses. He is talented & unquestionably has potential. But there is no denying he went AWOL quite often while in the line up last season. When he is playing well he is a goof PF. When he's AWOL, not so much.

53 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And that would be looking at him through O & B glasses. He is talented & unquestionably has potential. But there is no denying he went AWOL quite often while in the line up last season. When he is playing well he is a goof PF. When he's AWOL, not so much.

Yeah, you're probably right; I was probably giving him more credit for being consistent than he really deserves because he didn't have to carry the 4 spot too often with Jabari starting. I do wonder if he might not have been able to do better with consistency if he'd been the starter, and we might not find out this season, anyway, if Phillips comes our way, but I still think there's at least a certain segment of the fan base that isn't giving him his due.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger720 said:

there will probably never be another rim protector like Kessler. 

That's the danged truth. I doubt if Broome could ever live up to that standard, as good as he looks.

1 hour ago, Tiger720 said:

I'm just hoping we will have the frontcourt to compete with Florida and Kentucky.

I think we will, regardless of getting Broome.

We have a lot of versatility. If Broome lands at Auburn, you can play a four big rotation of him, Williams, Cardwell, and Traore. The latter of which can also (based on what I've read) moonlight as a combo guy.

If Phillips lands at Auburn, you're looking at a three big rotation with Traore/Williams getting minutes at the five, and Stretch in the break glass if needed role. Phillips has plenty of length and Moore has plenty of strength to sponge up a few minutes at the four when you want to play small.

The key to next year is going to be similar to this year:  is Flanigan ready to go? If he's 2021 Flanigan, we're going to be really good. If he's 2022 Flanigan, it puts a ceiling on our potential.

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

If we wait to try to find a wing that can shoot then a combo of Cardwell, Yohan. Jaylin, & Stretch.

Can you ever truly see Stretch playing significant minutes for us?

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

We have a lot of versatility. If Broome lands at Auburn, you can play a four big rotation of him, Williams, Cardwell, and Traore. The latter of which can also (based on what I've read) moonlight as a combo guy.

If Phillips lands at Auburn, you're looking at a three big rotation with Traore/Williams getting minutes at the five, and Stretch in the break glass if needed role. Phillips has plenty of length and Moore has plenty of strength to sponge up a few minutes at the four when you want to play small.

The key to next year is going to be similar to this year:  is Flanigan ready to go? If he's 2021 Flanigan, we're going to be really good. If he's 2022 Flanigan, it puts a ceiling on our potential.

It's not impossible for both Phillips *and* Broome to come to the Plains...but I thought Phillips was listed as a PF? Wouldn't that put him in the rotation with the bigs? Or is he thought of more as a tall wing, kinda like Chuma was?

Also, I'm not sure our potential will be dictated as much by how Flanigan rebounds from the injury. If we DO pull Phillips, that's taking away the two big pieces from last year's team and adding three big pieces for this year with JP, Traore, and Westry. And even that is assuming we don't bring in a 13th scholarship player, rather taking the one scholly reduction we still have to have in the next few years; if we add either Broome or a 3-point sniper, as well, that's 4 big pieces added with only 2 taken away.

Of course, it'll be much better if Allen can get it together and play like he did two seasons ago while not running the point, but I think our potential is through the roof either way if Phillips comes to Auburn.

9 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Can you ever truly see Stretch playing significant minutes for us?

If he develops. I don't count anyone out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

but I thought Phillips was listed as a PF?

@Rednilla Listed there but will be more of a wing or 3.

Wouldn't that put him in the rotation with the bigs?

Occasionally.

is he thought of more as a tall wing

Yes

• Thanks 1

He’s 6’7” or so and 210. That’s not typical for a PF. That’s more like Herb Jones, who was generally a wing. 

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

He’s 6’7” or so and 210. That’s not typical for a PF. That’s more like Herb Jones, who was generally a wing. 

Hell add at least 10-20 pounds with college regimens. Not to mention, it’s not like the majority of 4s in today’s game need to be post savants, nor post defenders. Length is more valuable than weight 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

He’s 6’7” or so and 210.

I think he's closer to 6'8. ESPN is the only site that still lists him at 6'7. The rest have him at 6'8. I would think 6'8 is a tall wing.

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think he's closer to 6'8. ESPN is the only site that still lists him at 6'7. The rest have him at 6'8. I would think 6'8 is a tall wing.

Once inch taller than the average height for a NBA small forward, and he could grow more! I don’t think we’ve had a power forward taller than 6’8 before last season under Bruce, but I could be wrong. I think we’ve been fine with that height (Chumer Okeke) 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

On 4/25/2022 at 6:21 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Still a lot of time left but I am bewildered with Stretch still being on the roster, if I was being honest  

100% agree. It may be harsh but i was hoping he'd leave. I was hoping 1 or 2 more guys would leave to open up more spots. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

100% agree. It may be harsh but i was hoping he'd leave. I was hoping 1 or 2 more guys would leave to open up more spots. 

Don't expect to see many players get ran off while Pearl is here. I was at the AMBUSH thing last night where Pearl and Harsin spoke. The topic of transfer portal and NIL came up and Bruce had a comment about its important to him to be loyal to the guys who have been here and put in the work. I took that to mean he is honest with guys on their chances at playing time but if they choose to stay anyway he'll allow that to happen. 

Personally i hope we always have coaches at AU who have the same approach. If we have to carry some guys along the way who don't play on gameday then so be it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gravejd said:

Don't expect to see many players get ran off while Pearl is here. I was at the AMBUSH thing last night where Pearl and Harsin spoke. The topic of transfer portal and NIL came up and Bruce had a comment about its important to him to be loyal to the guys who have been here and put in the work. I took that to mean he is honest with guys on their chances at playing time but if they choose to stay anyway he'll allow that to happen. 

Personally i hope we always have coaches at AU who have the same approach. If we have to carry some guys along the way who don't play on gameday then so be it. 

I get all that and it sounds great. However, I can accept that with football but with basketball spaces are limited. I understand this is likely a one off but i'm just being honest in stating it certainly sucks if we a chance to bring in a real contributor to the team. AU and other teams have shown that transfers with basketball have a major impact on the season. I get not "throwing" a kid away; but again just saying i was hoping he'd leave on his own so we can get someone who can contribute. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

That’s essentially what happened with Jamal and Franklin last season as I recall…who knows

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I get all that and it sounds great. However, I can accept that with football but with basketball spaces are limited. I understand this is likely a one off but i'm just being honest in stating it certainly sucks if we a chance to bring in a real contributor to the team. AU and other teams have shown that transfers with basketball have a major impact on the season. I get not "throwing" a kid away; but again just saying i was hoping he'd leave on his own so we can get someone who can contribute. 

There are 5 starters on a basketball team. There are 24 (including kicker and punter) on a football team, and injuries are more frequent on the gridiron than the hardwood. Yeah, 85 is a much bigger number than 13, but spaces are limited for both sports. If we are to have any expectation of players being loyal to Auburn, then those players have to have the expectation of Auburn being loyal to them, too.

Stretch, from all accounts, has been a consistent hard worker and great for team unity, the ultimate "glue guy," if you will. He probably contributes a great deal to the team in that respect even if he doesn't contribute on game day.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

There are 5 starters on a basketball team. There are 24 (including kicker and punter) on a football team, and injuries are more frequent on the gridiron than the hardwood. Yeah, 85 is a much bigger number than 13, but spaces are limited for both sports. If we are to have any expectation of players being loyal to Auburn, then those players have to have the expectation of Auburn being loyal to them, too.

Stretch, from all accounts, has been a consistent hard worker and great for team unity, the ultimate "glue guy," if you will. He probably contributes a great deal to the team in that respect even if he doesn't contribute on game day.

Respectfully disagree. Yes, there's impact loss but it's a greater loss with basketball personnel. Auburn would've likely won a NC if Chuma wasn't hurt. The numbers simply support personnel added or loss has a greater impact in basketball for the simple fact that you can only play 5 guys at a time.

Like i stated, it's great and all about the loyalty but it will likely happen less as AU continues to progress in basketball. Like it or not, it's apart of the process when you become a top tier program. No, i don't think he should be removed but not going to lie and say it wouldn't be nice if his spot was open. The team will still have those same type of guys who are glue guys; they'll just be walkons.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Respectfully disagree. Yes, there's impact loss but it's a greater loss with basketball personnel. Auburn would've likely won a NC if Chuma wasn't hurt. The numbers simply support personnel added or loss has a greater impact in basketball for the simple fact that you can only play 5 guys at a time.

Like i stated, it's great and all about the loyalty but it will likely happen less as AU continues to progress in basketball. Like it or not, it's apart of the process when you become a top tier program. No, i don't think he should be removed but not going to lie and say it wouldn't be nice if his spot was open. The team will still have those same type of guys who are glue guys; they'll just be walkons.  

There is certainly more impact with a single guy in basketball than there is in football just based on the numbers, but the implication that it's okay to hang onto a guy that isn't a game day contributor in football while it's not okay to do so in basketball is what irked me. And more than anything, I think we should trust that Pearl knows what he's doing with roster management.

That said, you are welcome to your opinion, and I do understand where you're coming from even if I don't agree completely.

22 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

1 basketball scholarship = 6.5 football scholarships.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:34 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We’re really not in a disaster case in terms of roster numbers. I’d definitely prefer adding a center before closing this class out, but as is:

4 guys who can play the 3 (realistically): Flan, Westry, Phillips (fingers crossed), Moore

4 guys who can play the 4 (at least in our scheme): Phillips, Jaylin, Moore, Traore

3 guys who can play 5: Jaylin, DC, Traore 

You don’t necessarily even need a superstar 5, esp if the idea is for Yohan to play the 5. 

Agreed. If I had to pick between Phillips and Broome, I'd pick Philips to improve our team at the 3 over Broome improving the team at the 5. That assumes that Flan or Westry won't be good enough to command a lot of minutes at the 3, but I see having the 3 you list at the 5 above as formidable, especially if Traore rebounds as well as people suggest he can.

If we miss out of Phillips, then I think Broome is still an upgrade especially if Pearl could play Jaylin occasionally at the 3 so he could be on the floor with Traore & Broome. It's hard to know which would be best without knowing which version of Flan we'll see next year.  Also, I have a feeling Moore could be much improved so I think Flan or Westry could see some minutes at the 2 as well. 

The minutes would get tight if we got both Broome & Phillips, but Pearl played 9-10 with decent minutes last year, so I'm sure Pearl will figure it out. 

• Like 1