2022 Transfer Big Johni Broome SIGNS WITH AU!!!

ellitor

On 4/25/2022 at 2:34 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We’re really not in a disaster case in terms of roster numbers. I’d definitely prefer adding a center before closing this class out, but as is:

4 guys who can play the 3 (realistically): Flan, Westry, Phillips (fingers crossed), Moore

4 guys who can play the 4 (at least in our scheme): Phillips, Jaylin, Moore, Traore

3 guys who can play 5: Jaylin, DC, Traore 

You don’t necessarily even need a superstar 5, esp if the idea is for Yohan to play the 5. 

I think Traore could realistically play the 3 with his ball handling skills. I doubt he will, but he could.

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I think Traore could realistically play the 3 with his ball handling skills. I doubt he will, but he could.

Not fluid enough defensively in terms of movement nor is he going to space the floor offensively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

The defense would give him trouble, but he is a masterful creator himself in space. If you just imagine him in those herky jerky situations where they’d have Kessler isolated at the top of the key (and Kessler was solid in those moments), you have Traore instead. If the shooting ticks upwards, he’s going to be borderline indefensible 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Deciding between Auburn and Florida tomorrow.

@ellitorany sense of this one?

I believe it may be Florida since Auburn is going all out for Phillips. It was said on this board that Auburn wouldn't take both.

I believe I have seen some say we would only take one and some say we would take both. I don't know which is correct.

23 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Deciding between Auburn and Florida tomorrow.

@ellitorany sense of this one?

At 2 PM. UF seems confident. Guess the time we took in deciding if we wanted him or wait til after Phillips made his choice cost us.

18 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

I believe it may be Florida since Auburn is going all out for Phillips.

@Tiger720We are going all out for both now. May be too late with Broome though.

19 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

It was said on this board that Auburn wouldn't take both.

That has also been corrected the past couple days in a few threads.

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I believe I have seen some say we would only take one and some say we would take both. I don't know which is correct.

@AuburnNTexasBoth as of a couple days ago.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

At 2 PM. UF seems confident. Guess the time we took in deciding if we wanted him or wait til after Phillips made his choice cost us.

Thanks. Hope you’re wrong. He is from Tampa. But it’s a potentially awkward fit with Castleton coming back. 

5 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Thanks. Hope you’re wrong. He is from Tampa. But it’s a potentially awkward fit with Castleton coming back. 

Supposedly they are moving Cas to the 4 & plan to play both.

Does the players report to campus sometime next month? I think that's when off-season training starts. Unless it has been deleted, there's a comment under Broome's Instagram post that says Auburn 🔒. The comment is liked by a current Florida player. I thought that was strange. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Does the players report to campus sometime next month? I think that's when off-season training starts. Unless it has been deleted, there's a comment under Broome's Instagram post that says Auburn 🔒. The comment is liked by a current Florida player. I thought that was strange. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

More than likely thinks it’s funny that person thinks it’s a lock, with the Florida player operating under the knowledge that he knows Broome is coming to Florida. Just me guessing 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I think at this point I think Groome was leaning Fl. I don’t really feel Pearl and staff blundered n losing him bc of Phillips. 

Kid is making a big mistake if he goes to Florida. That is not just sour grapes or anything talking it is just facts bro. I absolutely detest losing out on a guy who would be a massive get for us when it should be clear and obvious to everyone Auburn is the much better fit basketball wise for him. The moment Castleton announced he was coming back that should of been a wrap and Florida should of not been under consideration anymore. Look Castleton and Broome cannot play in the starting lineup together. Both are true center's. They just cannot. That is a terrible fit basketball wise and I do not understand it at all.  Schematically and roster make up it should be AU all day....... SMH.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think at this point I think Groome was leaning Fl. I don’t really feel Pearl and staff blundered n losing him bc of Phillips. 

@steeleagleWe may really never know but the reality is we did slow play at one point because part of the staff wasn’t sure if we wanted to take him or not and Florida clearly took advantage of it.

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kid is making a big mistake if he goes to Florida. That is not just sour grapes or anything talking it is just facts bro. I absolutely detest losing out on a guy who would be a massive get for us when it should be clear and obvious to everyone Auburn is the much better fit basketball wise for him. The moment Castleton announced he was coming back that should of been a wrap and Florida should of not been under consideration anymore. Look Castleton and Broome cannot play in the starting lineup together. Both are true center's. They just cannot. That is a terrible fit basketball wise and I do not understand it at all.  Schematically and roster make up it should be AU all day....... SMH.

I agree with ya on this. I’ll also add AU has a proven final 4 coach that develops players. Yes the new UF coach is good, but he ain’t CBP!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger720 said:

Does the players report to campus sometime next month?

@Tiger720They pretty much never leave now with school & training basically being year round. Also there's another week left before the Spring semester even ends.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@steeleagleWe may really never know but the reality is we did slow play at one point because part of the staff wasn’t sure if we wanted to take him or not and Florida clearly took advantage of it.

I can’t put my head around slow playing a dominant center transfer w experience coming in and locking in a big hole.

I surely would like to know what other option some of the staff was wanting instead of Broome. 

Just now, steeleagle said:

I can’t put my head around slow playing a dominant center transfer w experience coming in and locking in a big hole.

I surely would like to know what other option some of the staff was wanting instead of Broome. 

Are they Cardwell supporters wanting him to get that starting position?

36 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well we also shouldn't have slow played him, opening the door for Florida in terms of realizing it could cost us in his recruitment.

@GwillMac6So you think Golden is BSing telling Cas & Broome that Cas will play the 4 & Broome the 5? I think Cas can be an effective Kevin McHale high post type of 4.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

As I proved an an earlier post the staff may not see it as a big hole considering how well Cardwell is defebsively, well not as big hole as needing a shooter & only having 1 scholly to give out if we get Phillips.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

A shooter either via transfer or 2023 reclass. Has been talked about before.

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Are they Cardwell supporters wanting him to get that starting position?

No but if Cardwell doubles his minutes & keeps his per minute stat pace he will project to being a top 25 shot blocker in the nation.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well we also shouldn't have slow played him, opening the door for Florida in terms of realizing it could cost us in his recruitment.

@GwillMac6So you think Golden is BSing telling Cas & Broome that Cas will play the 4 & Broome the 5? I think Cas can be an effective Kevin McHale high post type of 4.

Absolutely he is. I don't blame him. You do and say whatever it takes to get a guy on campus but I just see no way either can be a effective 4. Both are traditional 5's who I can't see being versatile enough to play the 4. Especially defensively.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2

I love how we’re talking about basketball recruiting the same way we used to talk about football recruiting…criticizing the coach, “slow-playing”, other coaches are lying, etc.  Thank you, Bruce.