2022 Transfer Big Johni Broome SIGNS WITH AU!!!

ellitor

Transfer big man Johni Broome picks Auburn

ByMARK MURPHY 22 minutes ago

Will Jabari Smith, Chet Holmgren or Paolo Banchero get selected with No. 1 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft?

Auburn is replacing the Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year with the Ohio Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year with Johni Broome planning to transfer to play for Coach Bruce Pearl’s Tigers. Broome, a 6-10, 235 center, made the announcement on Saturday.

Following a coaching change at Morehead State, Broome entered the transfer portal after playing two seasons for the Eagles. He has three more seasons of college eligibility.

He chose the Tigers over Florida and was recruited by programs around the country after averaging a double-double last season with 16.8 points and 10.5 rebounds per game.

Broome said a major key in his decision was finding the “right fit” on where to play for the 2022-23 season. “Obviously, Auburn qualifies for that with a great coaching staff, great players to be around and a great community to be around,” he said. “Auburn has those things. Auburn has a staff that I think can help me take it to the next level."

He will join a trio of high school seniors in Auburn’s 2022 signee class. That group includes 6-1 point guard Tre Donaldson from Florida State University School in Tallahassee, 6-6 guard Chance Westry from Compass Prep in Chandler, Ariz., along with 6-10 center Yohan Traore from Dream City Christian in Glendale, Ariz.

Auburn is replacing center Walker Kessler, who in addition to being SEC Defensive Player of the Year was the winner of two national defensive player of the year awards. Kessler set an Auburn single season record for blocked shots in 2021-22 with 155. Broome, who averaged 3.9 blocks this past season for Morehead State, set that program’s single-season record for blocked shots with 131.

For the 2021-22 season Broome was named to the Lou Henson All-America Team and was a finalist for the Lou Henson Mid-Major Player of the Year award. He made 55.5 percent of his field goals and led the OVC in rebounding. Broome is one of seven players in Morehead State history to produce more 500 points and 300 rebounds in a season.

He saw action in all 34 games for the Eagles and averaged 28.3 minutes of playing time per contest. Broome finished the season with 23 double-doubles. He posted a collegiate-high total of 18 rebounds vs. Belmont. He just missed a triple-double at UT-Martin with 19 points, 12 blocked shots and nine rebounds.

Broome and the Eagles played at Auburn this past season. The Tigers won that contest 77-54 on Nov. 9th as Broome scored 12 points while adding rebounds.

As he did this past season, in 2020-21 he led Morehead State in scoring (13.8 points) and rebounding (9.0) while making 57.1 percent of his field goals. Broome was the OVC Freshman of the Year, First Team All-OVC and the league’s postseason tournament Most Valuable Player. He was OVC Freshman of the Week nine times.

11066909.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Johni Broome will have three seasons of eligibility starting with the 2022-23 schedule. (Photo: Mark Murphy, Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Broome said he liked the players on the Auburn team who will be his new teammates and the people he met on his visit to Auburn during Easter weekend. "Auburn has great fans and the community is great," said center, who noted that he will be surrounded by good players at AU. The Tigers will enter the 2022-23 season as the defending SEC champions.

As a high school senior he won Florida Class 4A All-State honors at Tampa Catholic High School with averages of 19.6 and 10.9 rebounds per game. Broome, who noted that he wasn't heavily recruited as a high school senior, said it is "crazy" how much attention he received. He narrowed his list of colleges to eight that included Duke, Gonzaga, Louisville, Houston, Memphis and Kentucky prior to choosing Pearl's Tigers over the Gators and new head coach Todd Golden, a former assistant coach at Auburn for Pearl.

19COMMENTS

Auburn has one more spot available for the 2022 signee class. A high priority uncommitted prospect, five-star forward Julian Phillips, took an official visit to Auburn this week. He is a senior at Link Academy in Branson, Mo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I foresee a lot SWEEPS against SEC competition next year!

Edited by Cardin Drake

Reading the last 2 pages of this topic with all the excuse making for not getting this kid, slow playing him, etc., and what happens! We Win!!! No one get your panties all ruffled up here. Maybe for Basketball at least we can just have a little more faith. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

The athleticism between Broome and Traore is just nasty. There will hopefully be a lot of fast breaks and transition dunks this year 

edit: I didn’t know this guy had 3 years of potential eligibility. That’s pretty nuts. A good chunk of this core still has another season after this one, I’ve noticed 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Thanks 1

Broome  has much more offensive  capabilities than Kessler. Not a dig on Kessler but I think this will work out nicely. 

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2022 Transfer Big Johni Broome COMMITS TO AU!!!
18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not the portal but the closest thing I have seen is we would push big time for Elijah Fisher if he re classifies to the class of 22.

Don't think he's an elite shooter

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Reading the last 2 pages of this topic with all the excuse making for not getting this kid, slow playing him, etc., and what happens! We Win!!! No one get your panties all ruffled up here. Maybe for Basketball at least we can just have a little more faith. 

@JFDTiger80Love ya man but you are overreacting to the discussion we were having.

• Thanks 1

Let's go!!!!!!! Welcome to the fam, Broome

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2022 Transfer Big Johni Broome SIGNS WITH AU!!!

Great news.  I've been really hoping we would get this guy.

I hope this won't compel one of our good players to consider transferring...

3 hours ago, fredst said:

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!LFG!!!!!! WHERE IS @GwillMac6WHEN WE NEED TO CELEBRATE THE GREATNESS OF PEARL?!?! WAR DAMN BBBRRRUUUUUUUCCCEEE!!!

5A86AC99-03EA-4F65-BD76-5DE1412DDCC5.gif

Brooooooo Mr Fred where do you think I have been since his announcement?!?! Me and Mel kiper we're doing lines off of stripper's in between commercial breaks in Vegas!!!! Wayne Newton even joined in!!! It was a great time had by all. Only you were missing!!! 😂🤣

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

The last 2 center recruitments have been stressful AF!!!!! Omgshhhhh. And we came out on top for both!!! Wooooo!!!! LFG bay baaaay!!!! Cannot wait for the first Brooooooommmmmeeeeee chant to break out in Neville arena in the winter!!!!! Yessssirrr. War fuggin BRUUUUCE Pearl eagle 🦅!!!!!

4 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Great news.  I've been really hoping we would get this guy.

No sir. Mod on On3 has addressed this already and said everyone is staying put! Even stretch and C Mo who were the most likely transfer candidate's imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

No sir. Mod on On3 has addressed this already and said everyone is staying put! Even stretch and C Mo who were the most likely transfer candidate's imo.

That's cuz they want that 'ship Bay Bay!!

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

@MaxCohen216They have less than 4 hours to put their name in the portal. The portal closes at midnight tonight & stays closed til August 1.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That's cuz they want that 'ship Bay Bay!!

And no team is going to want C-Mo coming off an injury til they know he is good to go.

• Like 1