2022 Transfer Big Johni Broome SIGNS WITH AU!!!

ellitor

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Thank you for this he has a lot of talent.  Handles ball well, Drop step , quick dribble drive, Face up Mid range shot, uses his body well, plays tough defense. He is a complete Center.   With him and Cardwell at Center we will be strong there, Traore and Williams at PF and we will be strong there, Westry, Flanigan, and Moore at SF again we will be strong there. PG we have Zep, Green, and Donaldson we will be solid not great unless Donaldson comes on, SG we could have different players Green, KD, maybe Flanigan and maybe Westry.   If we get Phillips we become even better.

The key to this team will be guard play, can they learn how to feed our big men, hit a reasonable % on 3 by taking better 3's then last year and play tough D. As much talent as we will have in the front Court we have to be smart and feed that talents when they have good position.

sometimes i double post because i try to do football and the politics board. but if any of you guys ever want me to look for something tell me and if i find it i will gladly post it. i know el takes care of recruiting but videos or other articles let me know if i can help. i do not have access to pay sites so keep that in mind.  but i do it to give back because my orange and blue family is the only family i have left that wants anything to do with me. so let me know folks?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Westry, Flanigan, and Moore at SF again we will be strong there.

Westry is much more likely to play PG & SG so not strong at SF unless we get Phillips.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

PG we have Zep, Green, and Donaldson we will be solid not great unless Donaldson comes on

Zep is expected to move to SG & Westry is expected to play at PG before Donaldson. Trending thought right now, barring injuries, Tre redshirts.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Westry is much more likely to play PG & SG so not strong at SF unless we get Phillips.

Zep is expected to move to SG & Westry is expected to play at PG before Donaldson. Trending thought right now, barring injuries, Tre redshirts.

That’s what you’re hearing on Westry? I wonder if Pearl is trying to get bigger at the point trying Westry thEre if he’s got good ball handling skills.

that was part of our weakness with our short guards last year.  

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

That’s what you’re hearing on Westry? I wonder if Pearl is trying to get bigger at the point trying Westry thEre if he’s got good ball handling skills.

that was part of our weakness with our short guards last year.  

I think it's mostly that Chance is just that good with the ball in his hands.  And the fact that he is big enough to play the 3 is a nice bonus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

wonder if Pearl is trying to get bigger at the point trying Westry thEre if he’s got good ball handling skills.

Not sure that's what he's trying to do. Just pointing out Westry has played a lot of PG in high school & has good handles.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This is a great pickup for next years team. Dynamic big man to pare with Cardwell. Looks like next year team isn't going to miss a beat. Freaking amazing how we are just reloading these days. 

• Like 1

E thanks for the information on Westry when you responded to me saying he would be a SF.

"Westry is much more likely to play PG & SG so not strong at SF unless we get Phillips." E's Quote

I always thought of him as either SF or SG because of his height. I knew he had a good handle but I didn't realize he was really an option at PG.  A bigger PG changes the dynamic as towards end of the year we saw a lot of teams trapping our shorter PG's as they crossed mid-court and they had trouble passing out of it as they couldn't see over the defenders. a taller PG can pass right over them.

I would love to see him at PG at least part of the time.

• Love 2

Bruce Pearl shares transfer Johni Broome's recruitment story

5 minutes ago

MONTGOMERY, Alabama — Highly coveted big man Johni Broome said when he committed to Auburn he didn't inform any coaches from his prospective transfer destinations of his decision.

While that's not entirely true, Bruce Pearl found out only moments before Auburn fans did.

Pearl said Broome called him two minutes before hopping on Instagram live Saturday afternoon for his announcement. In a low voice, Pearl impersonated the Morehead State transfer: “Coach, this is Johni. I’ve made my decision.”

Broome’s next words were, “I’m coming to play for you,” but Pearl couldn’t hear him. But Pearl started celebrating anyway.

“He could have said Florida, but I was assume-selling,” Pearl joked.

Broome was Auburn’s top target in the portal; Pearl said as much Tuesday before an Auburn alumni event in Montgomery. But as Broome took his Florida official visit the weekend after Auburn, then took another week to land on a decision date, he came more important to Auburn’s roster by the day.

“There are other bigs out there; they’re all making decisions at different times,” Pearl said. “You’ve got to decide who you’re going to go on, who you’re going to wait on, who you’re going to pass on.”

“... Now we’re waiting on him, and I’m starting to lose some pretty good other big kids that I could have gotten. Am I outsmarting myself?”

A native of Tampa, Broome narrowed his final decision down to Auburn and Florida. The Gators, now coached by former Auburn assistant Todd Golden, who coached under Pearl from 2014-16, already got good news for their frontcourt earlier this offseason. All-SEC center Colin Castleton is returning for another season with the program.

Pearl said he and his staff made sure to remind Broome, “quite frankly,” that Castleton is a similar player in a similar role, whereas at Auburn, Broome could be a go-to scorer in the low post. But that was their “only negative recruiting,” Pearl said.

“I didn’t enjoy that aspect of (Broome’s recruitment),” Pearl said. “... He should want to go to Florida to play for Todd Golden. … I enjoyed getting Johni. I didn’t enjoy beating Florida.”

Broome, last season’s Ohio Valley Conference defensive player of the year, averaged 16.8 points, 10.5 rebounds and 3.9 blocks per game. He finished with 23 double-doubles on the season and shot 55.5% from the floor.

His blocks-per-game clip was No. 3 in college basketball, with defensive player of the year Walker Kessler holding the top spot.

“He can score with his back to the basket,” Pearl said of his lone incoming transfer. “We didn’t have anybody who could really score with their back to the basket last year. I think he can guard multiple positions.”

Auburn also has five-star big man Yohan Traore joining the squad, via the 2022 recruiting class, to help replace Kessler and Jabari Smith in the frontcourt.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Is it just me, or does the body of that article not line up with the title...

Gotta read between the lines, I guess.

17 hours ago, toddc said:

Pearl said he and his staff made sure to remind Broome, “quite frankly,” that Castleton is a similar player in a similar role, whereas at Auburn, Broome could be a go-to scorer in the low post. But that was their “only negative recruiting,” Pearl said

Looks like @GwillMac6had Bruce's ear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

el this has basketball first and football next. should this be here or football? let me know in case it comes up again. i posted here because they talk basketball first so i am just guessing here. thanx? should i post it in both?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

el this has basketball first and football next. should this be here or football? let me know in case it comes up again. i posted here because they talk basketball first so i am just guessing here. thanx? should i post it in both?

Very good breakdown regarding basketball. It should be another exciting season. I also see why Tennessee and Auburn is battling for Jillian Phillips.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, toddc said:

I thought Johni was listed as 6'10? 6'8 seems a little less imposing...

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I was surprised by the 6'8" measurement as well. 

37 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

@RednillaJust asked Jamie Shaw about it & why it was different than everywhere else. I'll let you know what he says.

• Like 1

Is that a high school height listing? Says Tampa Catholic freshman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Is that a high school height listing? Says Tampa Catholic freshman.

Possibly. Jamie said it will be fixed.

22 hours ago, toddc said:

Just with the hype surrounding Broome, I am a little surprised he is not a top 10 transfer.  Still ecstatic to get him though. 

53 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Just with the hype surrounding Broome, I am a little surprised he is not a top 10 transfer.  Still ecstatic to get him though. 

Phenomenal year for transfers 

43 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

@abw0004He is on 247. As for On3 per Jamie Shaw, "Broome was originally slated higher in the rankings, film and advanced numbers were good coming out of last season. The drop came from multiple conversations and feedback from his NBA workouts that he was a fish out of water."

Also remember for football many analysts at the various recruiting sites have said rankings are heavily based on pro draftability & lesser what they can do in college.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Phenomenal year for transfers 

Not sure about that. Jamie Shaw said he struggled with his NBA workouts before pulling out of the draft process.