Auburn football fans’ reactions to Bo Nix Oregon ‘trade’ after A-Day spring game

aubiefifty

Auburn football fans’ reactions to Bo Nix Oregon ‘trade’ after A-Day spring game

Andrew Hughes
2-3 minutes

Here's what Tiger fans feel about the offseason 'trade' between Oregon and Auburn football. Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

Here's what Tiger fans feel about the offseason 'trade' between Oregon and Auburn football. Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

We’ve now gotten to see the Auburn football side of the ‘trade‘ with the Oregon Ducks–that landed Bo Nix in Eugene, and Jayson Jones, D.J. James, and Robby Ashford on the Plains–after the A-Day spring game at Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday afternoon.

To avoid any confusion about our use of the term ‘trade’ in relation to the former Ducks trio coming to Auburn and the AU second-generation gunslinger, there was no actual swap between the two programs. It just worked out as if there was because the equal value was seemingly swapped.

Or maybe not. Robby Ashford looked impressive during the intrasquad exhibition. Impressive enough to convince fans that he deserves the QB1 role over T.J. Finley in 2022.

Out west, Bo Nix is currently slated to back up Ty Thompson for the Ducks for their spring game. Nix is currently taking second-team reps after leaving a sure-fire starting gig on the Plains.

The hill Nix needs to climb is likely far higher than what Ashford needs to overcome to become the starter. Conceivably, the Tigers could end up with several starters from this deal (D.J. James specifically is here to take someone’s job) and Nix could flame out on the west coast.

A few Auburn football fans were happy being on this side of the hypothetical ‘trade’:

On the other hand, some fans still miss Bo Nix:

Time will tell how this ‘trade’ ends up for both parties. A-Day was a nice showing for the orange and blue side of it, but the narrative could shift come April 23rd when Oregon has it’s own spring game.

And hey, for all we know, Ashford stays buried beneath on the depth chart behind Finley or Zach Calzada. And then out west, perhaps Auburn’s nightmare comes to life and the planets align in a way where it actually is the year…

It’s all speculation. But undoubtedly, A-Day was a win for Robby Ashford and the Auburn family outside of those pulling for anyone else in the QB room.

I have a friend who is a 4th generation Auburn grad. His wife is "only" a 2nd generation AU grad. The three of us were discussing the AU QB situation over coffee the other day and as usual, when we guys were done blabbing, she stepped up and quickly cut to the chase. Says she: "If Holden Geriner is redshirted, then we are guaranteed to have a quarterback who was unsuccessful at his previous school."

Sad but true.

So Nix has gone from Lanning Raves about Nix, to Oregon is going to be scary with Nix this year, to

On 4/11/2022 at 2:19 PM, aubiefifty said:

Bo Nix is currently slated to back up Ty Thompson for the Ducks for their spring game. Nix is currently taking second-team reps after leaving a sure-fire starting gig on the Plains.

I'm pulling for him to be stud out there, but I'm not digging the trend I'm reading in the headlines. I hope he has made a good decision by transferring.  But, at the moment it's not looking to good.

• Like 1