2022 post-spring depth chart

aubiefifty

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

pescador-pescadorcito.gif

Mikey reaching for that special bait this morning

That looks more like you trying to blame the failures of his replacement on  a coach who has been gone for 15 months.

Edited by Mikey

33 minutes ago, Mikey said:

And yet, they are still the best Auburn has, even two seasons after Gus is gone.

In what world can a staff completely replace a 5 deep position group with 1 OL class?  No one could do that through HS recruiting.

Edited by W.E.D

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

In what world can a staff completely replace a 5 deep position group with 1 OL class?  No one could do that through HS recruiting.

In the world of the transfer portal. If they are as bad as you and some others claim, getting replacements through normal recruiting and the portal should be easy. Also, it's not one recruiting class. Look above.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In the world of the transfer portal. If they are as bad as you and some others claim, getting replacements through normal recruiting and the portal should be easy. Also, it's not one recruiting class. Look above.

Our "replacement" options have gone to LSU, UF, Bama, or followed a coach.  1 cycle of the portal + HS recruiting, that isn't over yet, isn't going to fix the current OL situation.

Yes, Harsin could be doing a better job.  But our OL situation is complete trash carried over from Gus.  They are both true

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

They were adequate, getting off to a 6-2 start. What happened after that can hardly be blamed on the O-line. If they are as bad as you claim, replacing them with better players should be easy. After two recruiting cycles, complete with a transfer portal that's tailor-made to plug gaps, where are the replacements?

Honestly, it's a concern as a fan.  And if it's a concern for a fan then it's a major concern for the coaching staff. 

It's obviously a very hard area to recruit for Auburn and has been for years when compared to many of our conference foe.  I don't believe there's a quick fix, if it were then we'd have seen much more movement in the last few months.  :gofig:

IronMan posted this some time ago...not sure exactly how it stands now.  But being this far below the limit; and that's counting folks who haven't reported for fall yet; seems like a pretty big issue to me.  I am stumped on the strategy from this staff.  Do we see just a massive haul coming in for the '23 class?  Are we about to get a portal windfall?  Do we have a large group of Walkons about to get scholarships?  This staff (as far as I can tell) still has not recruited a single Olineman.  I need some help trying to be optimistic.    

We have 76 current scholarship players for '22. 

Offense (37) QB-5, RB-4, WR-8, TE-6, OL-14

Defense (36) DL-9, Edge-3, LB-9, CB-9, S-6

Spec Tm (3) Punt-1, Kick-2

Tracking Auburns roster movement for 2022 season (Feb. 2) (247sports.com)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Not much on counting, I see. I suppose it's 1 & 1/2 normal recruiting cycles and two portal cycles if one wanted to be entirely accurate. Indeed Gus is gone. He's been gone for, let's see.... 1 & 1/2 regular recruiting cycles and two portal cycles. This coming season will be the second year that he's gone and yet, posters here continue to try to blame Gus for the O-line situation when the new staff, who has had...wait for it.... 1 & 1/2 regular recruiting cycles and two portal cycles and has failed to acquire even one O-line player who can crack the two deep depth chart.

I would give you a fact based rebuttal as many have tried to do. But it's like arguing with a jug of stump water so it's just time to move on 4 me.

• Like 1

I think we can agree that the former staff did a piss poor job recruiting oline and the replacement staff hasn't done any better thus far.

I also think the previous staff and the replacement staff all tried to do better to bring in SEC caliber linemen.  But there's obviously a problem with the Auburn brand where oline is concerned because this is an on-going issue pressing on 6 yrs now.  WTH is wrong?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I would give you a fact based rebuttal as many have tried to do. But it's like arguing with a jug of stump water so it's just time to move on 4 me.

*bandname

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gus' OL recruiting was an abomination at this level. Anyone who can sit here and say that a big part of the reason we are where we are with oL is not due in large part to Gus' failures is not being real.

On the other hand, CBH has not done much to fix the issue as of yet either. I don't know what the issue is. I don't think it's a lack of trying, so much as maybe a flawed approach or miscalculation on who would hit the portal and the ability of being able to persuade said body to AU. 

I am withholding judgement on the new staff on this topic for now, because 23 is a huge opportunity to stock the cupboard and you never know what may happen in the portal between now and start of Fall camp in 2023.

We need 5 OL this class. We need 4-5 OL next class. Hopefully we can grab a few pieces in the portal before 23 that can play immediatelt and also have mulitple years left to play. It is going to take a massive effort in HS and portal recruiting to fix this, but I will not judge until Harsin has 4 classes under him. Then I think it will be safe to look at the numbers and make a fair assessment in comparison to the previous staff. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I posed this question yesterday. Talent aside, how do you fix the numbers? 9/14 of our OL are seniors. There are only 25 spots. Bring in 9 this cycle and we're in this same boat in 4 years. Of course not bringing in anyone is not the solution, but I don't see any quick fixes. 4-5 HS and 2 portals every year so that we can fill our other needs to. Hope some walk-ons can develop into backups. It's sad. I don't see how 9/14 can be seniors. 11/16 if Bro Hamm and Manning stayed 

20 minutes ago, au302 said:

I posed this question yesterday. Talent aside, how do you fix the numbers? 9/14 of our OL are seniors. There are only 25 spots. Bring in 9 this cycle and we're in this same boat in 4 years. Of course not bringing in anyone is not the solution, but I don't see any quick fixes. 4-5 HS and 2 portals every year so that we can fill our other needs to. Hope some walk-ons can develop into backups. It's sad. I don't see how 9/14 can be seniors. 11/16 if Bro Hamm and Manning stayed 

That's that depth someone has been boasting about for 4-5 years

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Bill Taylor

Everything would be fine depth wise with the OL except he selfishly graduated and moved on.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

K

…LMNOP?

I’m just messing around. There is too much angst up in here a lot of times. Just trying to loosen things up a bit.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

Can I say the both look(ed) lacking in what we need?

I have no problem with anyone that stayed true to themselves, but there's going to be a bunch of arguing this year as far as how soft this board had become and you couldn't criticize the QB at all without a bunch of arguments and put downs, and now since there's a QB not named Bo nix you can already see where it's ok to tell harsh realities again.

I'm not going to sit back and watch it and pretend that it's ok. Literally every game you had a it's not a Bo problemand there's a bunch of things wrong with the team post. As soon as Bo was hurt all of a sudden you didn't see people complain about the wr's and o line like they did before........now those same people that said wait for Bo to blossom for 3 freaking years can matter of factly say TJ doesn't have it when he makes the same mistakes Bo did, and nobody is going to point that out? 

Ok I'll do it then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

We need 5 OL this class. We need 4-5 OL next class.

Bingo. Our rivals routinely bring in 4-5 each year. Gus would bring in 1-2, then 1-2, then hit JUCO for some 270 pounders. It has put us in a hole that’s hard to dig out of. 

44 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Bingo. Our rivals routinely bring in 4-5 each year. Gus would bring in 1-2, then 1-2, then hit JUCO for some 270 pounders. It has put us in a hole that’s hard to dig out of. 

And zero HS OT

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 9:38 AM, Mikey said:

Ten O-line players listed. Not a one was brought to Auburn by the current coaching staff. When will the much discussed improvements start?

Well common sense says 2023 when the next recruiting class comes in.

It's even worse than I thought, which was really bad. Just checked the roster. In addition to the covid seniors, Stutts and Irvin are regular seniors. They may get another year after this year, but there's a possibility that only like 6 guys return next year depending on them, Coffey, and K. Jones decisions.

Also why we were handcuffed with the 7 covid seniors. We only have 7-10 portal spots. Have other needs like WR and EDGE, so couldn't use them all to replace them. If they left we'd at minimum have walk-ons in the two deep, if not starting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Portal is next opportunity.

it was tongue in cheek.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, au302 said:

It's even worse than I thought, which was really bad. Just checked the roster. In addition to the covid seniors, Stutts and Irvin are regular seniors. They may get another year after this year, but there's a possibility that only like 6 guys return next year depending on them, Coffey, and K. Jones decisions.

Also why we were handcuffed with the 7 covid seniors. We only have 7-10 portal spots. Have other needs like WR and EDGE, so couldn't use them all to replace them. If they left we'd at minimum have walk-ons in the two deep, if not starting.

Welcome aboard.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:24 AM, bigbird said:

The issue of OL recruiting isn't an issue for next year, It's about 2020 & 21.  Next year's line will be what it is. It will, or should, be an improvement over last year's. However, in 2020-21 we are beyond in trouble and have not remotely recruited or developed at the rate necessary to sustain any success.