2022 post-spring depth chart

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I think we hit all of the hot button topics for the thread:

• Bo Nix
  • Gus Malzahn
  • COVID-19

Have we touched on how Harsin's daughters dress yet?

We have now!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Didba said:

I really wish the board had rules against toxic trolling behavior. Several would be banned under those grounds easily.

There are rules for that and have been enforced in the past.  Two posters I can think of that were banned for trolling are realtortiger and L I G E R.

7 hours ago, DAG said:

You guys are getting trolled , hardcore, btw.

I mean I know I did and I think a few others literally called him, au24 and proud doing this as soon as Gus was fired.

First they tried to demand you couldn't talk about Gus and when the season started they were hoping for the L's and they will continue because they want a firing so they can try to say I told you so

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I mean I know I did and I think a few others literally called him, au24 and proud doing this as soon as Gus was fired.

First they tried to demand you couldn't talk about Gus and when the season started they were hoping for the L's and they will continue because they want a firing so they can try to say I told you so

basically not even auburn fans at this point

/s

Edited by Didba
added sarcasm
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

basically not even auburn fans at this point

I definitely don’t agree with all the negativity, but no one single person (or group) should get to decide what opinions constitute an Auburn fan. This is a forum for posting your opinions for goodness sakes.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I definitely don’t agree with all the negativity, but no one single person (or group) should get to decide what opinions constitute an Auburn fan. This is a forum for posting your opinions for goodness sakes.

it was hyperbole.

5 minutes ago, e808 said:

My question is how long will a former coach  receive blame before a current coach assumes full responsibility 

as long as the impacts are still being felt from his time so maybe two years at most? Whenever all his players are gone

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Sorry, I missed that. Thought you were serious.

Even if he was serious, it is his opinion. Those guys you mentioned are not acting like Auburn fans. If anything they are fans of individual coaches. That’s my opinion and you can deal with it or not lol. I choose to ignore the two main trolls.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, DAG said:

Even if he was serious, it is his opinion. Those guys you mentioned are not acting like Auburn fans. If anything they are fans of individual coaches. That’s my opinion and you can deal with it or not lol. I choose to ignore the two main trolls.

I agree with this take. It's everyones right to decide if they want to be trolled or not. The ignore button is your friend

21 hours ago, W.E.D said:

You do realize without Covid we'd be starting RSFR b/c Gus left us with nothing....right?

We'd be left with much more than nothing and you know that. Check the roster.

What we should have is a solid group of freshmen and sophomore O-linemen on the team, ready to back up or take over for the older guys. Players that were brought in by the current staff. That's what we were going to get with a new staff, right? Better coaching and better planning? Many more off-field assistants to facilitate recruiting? 

According to reports, we hired the additional assistants. Where are the results?

About this "trolling". I seldom if ever start these conversations. What I do is respond to the Harsin apologists who are constantly trying to blame the previous staff for the failures of the current staff. I'll make the board a deal: You don't blame Gus and the prior staff again and I won't bring him up. Other than in general wishing Gus well I had basically put him out of mind until all the crybabies started trying to put blame anywhere except where it belongs.

9 hours ago, e808 said:

My question is how long will a former coach  receive blame before a current coach assumes full responsibility 

Legitimate question. I would say it takes at least 3-4 years to get your players especially when there is a major change in how you do things.  Next years recruiting class is 100% on new staff if they blow it no way you can blame previous staff as an example. With the huge turnover last year and this year most Gus players who didn't fit the Harsin Culture are gone now need a good class in 2023 and 2024 to fill gaps caused by turnover.  Biggest complaint on Gus was O-line and QB development next years class between HS and Portal needs to address O-Line if it doesn't no longer can blame Gus it is on Harsin. If it does then need one more year for new O-Line to be developed.  

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Harsin is obviously still in the window of dealing with the previous staff's shortcomings. Anyone disputing that is just trying to shift the focus off of said previous staff for emotional reasons and not logical ones. 

However, for all of the whining that many have done about the portal and relaxed transfer rules, it provides Harsin with an opportunity to accelerate the traditional timeline of rebuilding a program. He can more quickly process out and upgrade.

He has not addressed certain problems adequately so far but that doesn't erase the deficit he inherited. He needs to get this 2023 signing class right and we will get a better feel for what he really is in 2024, as long as he keeps demonstrating that we're headed in the right direction and hangs onto the job. 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Harsin is obviously still in the window of dealing with the previous staff's shortcomings. Anyone disputing that is just trying to shift the focus off of said previous staff for emotional reasons and not logical ones. 

However, for all of the whining that many have done about the portal and relaxed transfer rules, it provides Harsin with an opportunity to accelerate the traditional timeline of rebuilding a program. He can more quickly process out and upgrade.

He has not addressed certain problems adequately so far but that doesn't erase the deficit he inherited. He needs to get this 2023 signing class right and we will get a better feel for what he really is in 2024, as long as he keeps demonstrating that we're headed in the right direction and hangs onto the job. 

image.gif.631efd22e2bdc16ed8b45712521ae4f3.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think if u have difference of opinion on coaches and players that doesn’t make u any less of a fan. There are plenty of examples out there to give but the overall goal is u want the team to succeed. Some may agree or disagree

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Even with the hyperbole, I 100% agree with this. Nothing I hate on a message board more than people screaming "ban him yada yada" because someone says something they disagree with. That is what makes the world go round. There are a few posters here that I have had some pretty heated debates with but I would never want them silenced regardless how much I disagree with them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Legitimate question. I would say it takes at least 3-4 years to get your players especially when there is a major change in how you do things.  Next years recruiting class is 100% on new staff if they blow it no way you can blame previous staff as an example. With the huge turnover last year and this year most Gus players who didn't fit the Harsin Culture are gone now need a good class in 2023 and 2024 to fill gaps caused by turnover.  Biggest complaint on Gus was O-line and QB development next years class between HS and Portal needs to address O-Line if it doesn't no longer can blame Gus it is on Harsin. If it does then need one more year for new O-Line to be developed.  

Yep. I will withhold judgment on recruiting success/failure until 4 years assuming he makes it 4 years. That is a partial class, one full class that the staff started behind on due to Covid and not being here, and 2 more full classes with no disadvantages. I think that is fair. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, e808 said:

Some great points in here, but also wanted to just add that this applies to all coaches, not just Harsin, even though it may seem like that since he's the one going through it. For example Chizik left us terrible talent on defense. Hard to blame Gus for the D being awful in '13-15 when it wasn't his players.

People rightly questioned and criticized the hiring of Ellis Johnson, which is fair game, but rational folks realized that they had to get better defensive players in, which Champ and Steele did. Took 3-4 years, which is normal, but it happened, and credit to Gus for hiring them. His two best moves as HC

• Like 3

And we all know by now that are two fans who specifically did not like this coach from the start and even will argue against plain ole logic. I don't know why people want to act like they aren't here. It is baffling. That’s why I barely even post on this anymore lol. People can’t distinguish posters purposely trying to incite an argument versus discussion of difference of opinion lol. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, DAG said:

To clarify I wasn't serious that they literally aren't Auburn fans anymore, they just don't act like Auburn fans.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, au302 said:

People rightly questioned and criticized the hiring of Ellis Johnson, which is fair game, but rational folks realized that they had to get better defensive players in, which Champ and Steele did. Took 3-4 years, which is normal, but it happened, and credit to Gus for hiring them. His two best moves as HC

Muschamp's stay at Auburn was December 12, 2014 until December 6, 2015. In his first and only recruiting class, he signed five linebackers. That's a position that was in worse shape then than the O-line is now, but it was addressed and basically fixed with one recruiting class. Proof positive that a repair job doesn't need to take years on end.

11 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Yep. I will withhold judgment on recruiting success/failure until 4 years assuming he makes it 4 years.

Do you think there's even the most remote chance that the current staff will still be at Auburn if it's four years before AU has a recruiting class that's competitive with other SEC teams? This cycle we are 9th in the SEC. That would be 11th if Texas and Okie were being included. My guess is that another losing season and a repeat of this year's recruiting will bring about a quick change.

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Muschamp's stay at Auburn was December 12, 2014 until December 6, 2015. In his first and only recruiting class, he signed five linebackers. That's a position that was in worse shape then than the O-line is now, but it was addressed and basically fixed with one recruiting class. Proof positive that a repair job doesn't need to take years on end.

For one position group like linebacker sure. For a whole unit or roster it takes a few years. The defense was not good until 2016. That was year four of Gus's tenure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, au302 said:

For one position group like linebacker sure. For a whole unit or roster it takes a few years. The defense was not good until 2016. That was year four of Gus's tenure

Signing day that year was in February. My point being, it took Muschamp around two months to do something tangible about a position of need. Now there's talk of waiting four years to evaluate recruiting capabilities. When will there be some tangible progress? Finishing 9th in the SEC and gaining 5 in the portal while losing 20 is not making progress, it's not even treading enough water to stay afloat.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Signing day that year was in February. My point being, it took Muschamp around two months to do something tangible about a position of need. Now there's talk of waiting four years to evaluate recruiting capabilities. When will there be some tangible progress? Finishing 9th in the SEC and gaining 5 in the portal while losing 20 is not making progress, it's not even treading enough water to stay afloat.

This staff's first class is just now hitting campus. They do have the benefit of the portal to try and plug gaps, and they have done a mostly solid job with that outside of OL, which we have addressed. But in terms of building a core foundation for a unit with HS players, it takes time.

2013- Monty Adams, Carl Lawson, Rudy Ford

2014- Tre Williams, Nick Ruffin, Stephen Roberts, Dontavious Russell, Andrew Williams, Deshaun Davis

2015- The 5 LB's you mentioned and secondary heavy with Carlton Davis, Jeremiah Dinson, and Javarius Davis.

That's 3 core HS classes of guys that got on campus to rebuild the D 2016 onwards. The same will likely need to happen with the offense this go around. '22-'24 classes. Portal plugs in the meantime. No doubt this staff needs to bring in a couple of portal OL this summer 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1