2022 post-spring depth chart

aubiefifty

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Muschamp's stay at Auburn was December 12, 2014 until December 6, 2015. In his first and only recruiting class, he signed five linebackers. That's a position that was in worse shape then than the O-line is now, but it was addressed and basically fixed with one recruiting class. Proof positive that a repair job doesn't need to take years on end.

Do you think there's even the most remote chance that the current staff will still be at Auburn if it's four years before AU has a recruiting class that's competitive with other SEC teams? This cycle we are 9th in the SEC. That would be 11th if Texas and Okie were being included. My guess is that another losing season and a repeat of this year's recruiting will bring about a quick change.

Well....given the hypothetical circumstances you stated...No I do not. I don't think that is what is going to happen, though. We are a long way from signing day for this class. So the fact that we are #9 in the SEC right now means absolutely nothing. I fully expect us to be at worst top 20, but if we have a good season and put a good product on the field I think we can pull a top 10 class. If that happens, you have a whole different dynamic. I also don't think we are going to have another losing season this year. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well....given the hypothetical circumstances you stated...No I do not. I don't think that is what is going to happen, though. We are a long way from signing day for this class. So the fact that we are #9 in the SEC right now means absolutely nothing. I fully expect us to be at worst top 20, but if we have a good season and put a good product on the field I think we can pull a top 10 class. If that happens, you have a whole different dynamic. I also don't think we are going to have another losing season this year. 

I don't know where we are ranked right now for the class of '23. I haven't checked because as you point out, at this point '23 rankings are meaningless. We are #9 in the SEC this current cycle, which is the class of '22.  I think the class of '23 cycle starts with the early signing day this coming December 21st.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, au302 said:

This staff's first class is just now hitting campus. They do have the benefit of the portal to try and plug gaps, and they have done a mostly solid job with that outside of OL, which we have addressed. But in terms of building a core foundation for a unit with HS players, it takes time.

2013- Monty Adams, Carl Lawson, Rudy Ford

2014- Tre Williams, Nick Ruffin, Stephen Roberts, Dontavious Russell, Andrew Williams, Deshaun Davis

2015- The 5 LB's you mentioned and secondary heavy with Carlton Davis, Jeremiah Dinson, and Javarius Davis.

That's 3 core HS classes of guys that got on campus to rebuild the D 2016 onwards. The same will likely need to happen with the offense this go around. '22-'24 classes. Portal plugs in the meantime. No doubt this staff needs to bring in a couple of portal OL this summer 

A staff can't build a team without starting somewhere. The fact that building takes time makes starting quickly all that much more important. You pointed Muschamp out. It took him less than two months to start building to address a problem. Five linebackers signed in less than two months on the job. The current staff has had 15 Months to start building the much griped about O-line. So far, in 15 months, they've done nothing worthy of note other than sign one solid prospect from Auburn High School. Each cycle with nothing accomplished delays the building process another year. When will they start?

Edited by Mikey

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

A staff can't build a team without starting somewhere. The fact that building takes time makes starting quickly all that much more important. You pointed Muschamp out. It took him less than two months to start building to address a problem. Five linebackers signed in less than two months on the job. The current staff has had 15 Months to start building the much griped about O-line. So far, in 15 months, they've done nothing worthy of note other than sign one solid prospect from Auburn High School. Each cycle with nothing accomplished delays the building process another year. When will they start?

I agree that there is definitely a gap that requires closing. But comparing Muschamp in 2015 to today is not realistic. It would be like comparing Sabans recruiting at MSU to today, IMO.

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't know where we are ranked right now for the class of '23. I haven't checked because as you point out, at this point '23 rankings are meaningless. We are #9 in the SEC this current cycle, which is the class of '22.  I think the class of '23 cycle starts with the early signing day this coming December 21st.

my apologies. I thought you were referring to 23 class. I pretty much consider the 22 class s wrap minus whatever portal additions we may pick up. I don't expect us to move up much

On 4/17/2022 at 12:06 AM, Mikey said:

That’s the multi-year hit you take when you hire an unknown regional outsider who’s not known for his flexibility.  What’s done is done and we can’t go back.

• Like 1

I really believe this young man should have a package each game unlike the packages Gus implemented. He has a skillset that can help Auburn. I know many are down on Calzada but I think Calzada is our best option at QB. 

Thank, Stat Tiger! 

Everyone seems to want to push a "package", but we rarely see this work well.  It's either forced, messes up the flow of the game, or is a huge gimmick.

Calzada is probably going to be the starter and he's mobile enough that we don't really need a someone coming in randomly to run a "package"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Everyone seems to want to push a "package", but we rarely see this work well.  It's either forced, messes up the flow of the game, or is a huge gimmick.

Calzada is probably going to be the starter and he's mobile enough that we don't really need a someone coming in randomly to run a "package"

Agreed. I've believed in the possibility of packages before. For example, when we had two freshmen QBs and one of them was huge and uber athletic, I thought it made sense to have short yardage and goal line packages for the big guy a la Leak and Tebow. (Gatewood wasn't Tebow, but Nix damned sure wasn't 2006 Leak, either. Gatewood 100% should have taken over a time or two in 2019 a la Finley against GSU simply because Bo was horrendous at times.)

But now we're talking about trying to shoehorn a guy onto the field just because he's got wheels. There's no reason to think that alone justifies taking a better QB off the field. Now, if he just wins the job or if circumstances dictate he run the offense at any point in the season, fine. But this doesn't feel like a situation where he is so special that we "need" to do anything with him in 2022. 

But fans do this every year. Find the most mobile QB and insist that he needs to take snaps. I'm not sure why they stop at the Robbie Ashfords and don't say that the Tank Bigsbys and Tarvarish Dawsons need to take snaps, too. I mean, if we just want to snap the ball to a ball carrier...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. I've believed in the possibility of packages before. For example, when we had two freshmen QBs and one of them was huge and uber athletic, I thought it made sense to have short yardage and goal line packages for the big guy a la Leak and Tebow. (Gatewood wasn't Tebow, but Nix damned sure wasn't 2006 Leak, either. Gatewood 100% should have taken over a time or two in 2019 a la Finley against GSU simply because Bo was horrendous at times.)

But now we're talking about trying to shoehorn a guy onto the field just because he's got wheels. There's no reason to think that alone justifies taking a better QB off the field. Now, if he just wins the job or if circumstances dictate he run the offense at any point in the season, fine. But this doesn't feel like a situation where he is so special that we "need" to do anything with him in 2022. 

But fans do this every year. Find the most mobile QB and insist that he needs to take snaps. I'm not sure why they stop at the Robbie Ashfords and don't say that the Tank Bigsbys and Tarvarish Dawsons need to take snaps, too. I mean, if we just want to snap the ball to a ball carrier...

Right.  I think you need a package if you've got Mike Vick as a TrFr or your starting QB is just horrendous.  I'm not sure we're at that point on either scenario.  RA is fast, but I'm not sure he's a true game changer type and I don't think TJ/Calzada are going to be really bad that need supplemental assistance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If Ashford only had wheels I would agree with you but I saw enough in the Spring game that he needs to be given a chance to proves if he is the right man for the job.  We may be saying the same thing. I don't want a package just to get him on the field especially if it changes the flow of the game. If you want a package for second and goal line from 1 or 2 yard line then direct snap to Tank with 2 big backs leading him into the hole. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If Ashford only had wheels I would agree with you but I saw enough in the Spring game that he needs to be given a chance to proves if he is the right man for the job.  We may be saying the same thing. I don't want a package just to get him on the field especially if it changes the flow of the game. If you want a package for second and goal line from 1 or 2 yard line then direct snap to Tank with 2 big backs leading him into the hole. 

Absolutely. Worth clarifying that I don't assume Ashford is only mobile and not also adept at the other duties of the position, but I can see how my post might have sounded otherwise. The truth is I have no clue how well he can run the offense. 

But yeah, if he's really good at all the other, more important parts of being a QB, too, then he might be the best overall option and in that case should just be our starting QB. But there's a persistent idea in the fan base- visions of Cam and Nick dancing in their heads- that mobile QBs need to get on the field regardless of their overall aptitude for playing quarterback.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Stat tiger, is at it again! Thanks! 

Multiple times he had easy passes to the back who had released about 5 or 6 yards past Line of Scrimmage and he tried bad passes to people who were covered including the dropped interception. He is moving his head like he is going through progressions but I am not sure he is picking the right receiver.  I understand when you are rushed you may not see the best receiver but this was happening when he had time. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas

Marquis Robinson will return

We reported on The Corner last night, but redshirt freshman defensive lineman Marquis Robinson is expected to withdraw his name from the transfer portal and rejoin the Auburn football team. Robinson’s name is still in the portal as of Thursday morning, but should be pulling his name out soon. Ja’Varrius Johnson has also officially removed his name from the portal after going through spring camp with the Tigers.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, toddc said:

We reported on The Corner last night, but redshirt freshman defensive lineman Marquis Robinson is expected to withdraw his name from the transfer portal and rejoin the Auburn football team. Robinson’s name is still in the portal as of Thursday morning, but should be pulling his name out soon. Ja’Varrius Johnson has also officially removed his name from the portal after going through spring camp with the Tigers.

Obviously CBH is too soft allowing these players to return. His wishy washy stance on the portal is a weakness that we don't need at Auburn. It has to be impossible for the players to find steady footing. We need a coach that cares more about his players!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I mean, we need help...but just a wild timeline.  Too bad he didn't go through spring here.  He enrolled at TN and also Mizzou but never went there.

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, we need help...but just a wild timeline.  Too bad he didn't go through spring here.  He enrolled at TN and also Mizzou but never went there.

I agree it was a strange Timeline and he would have been better served to have gone through spring, but he has had one year with the team so he won't be starting from scratch and he will add some needed depth.  So welcome back now lets get to work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Welcome back!!! 

58 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

The only package Ashford will probably get will be as a starter and that could be a real possibility.  

Just for that I'm going to send him a bunch of raisins in a box :P 

• Haha 2