Funny thing about academics...

For years there was a rule that no inning could be started after 6:00 PM on Sundays because the students' studies would be hindered. All conference series had to be Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It was all about academics, you know.

Now along comes the SEC network and TV money and all of a sudden we've got both baseball and softball starting some series on Thursday and ending others on Monday. That scheduling allows five TV days instead of three. Ain't it odd, how academics fades to unimportant when money gets into the picture?

AU baseball starts tonight, Thursday and ends Saturday. I suppose somebody else starts Saturday and ends Monday.

• Like 2

Well...many classes are online now so student athletes can log in whenever they have time. It makes life a lot easier for them with all the traveling they do during the season. AFAIK baseball players don't seem to have as many issues with grades as some of the other sports. But Butch makes getting a degree the # 1 priority for his players because he knows that MLB is not in everyone's future. He wants his kids on the team to graduate.

• Like 4

A couple of things come to mind for me. First, you can't leave the potential money on the table if that is a driving factor. Second, the athletes should be able to manage their studies around the scheduled games regardless of time and day. In life we all make choices daily on managing our time. They can do it. 

First of all, there are tutors that help the athletes with their studies throughout the year. Baseball only does series Thursday-Saturday or Friday-Sunday. Softball has series Friday-Sunday and one series Saturday-Monday. Depending on what time the games are at, the athletes are still able to attend class.

3 hours ago, AUlurker said:

First of all, there are tutors that help the athletes with their studies throughout the year. Baseball only does series Thursday-Saturday or Friday-Sunday. Softball has series Friday-Sunday and one series Saturday-Monday. Depending on what time the games are at, the athletes are still able to attend class.

Baseball has games on Tuesday and Wednesday also. Online classes are a thing now for busy people, and student athletes are very busy. They have practices, team meetings and workouts as well as games. Plying a sport at this level in the SEC is a full time job.

• Like 2

That rule never made sense to me. We have midweek games, many sports such as basketball playing on week nights. Seemed dumb. That said, I'm pretty sure the series on Easter weekend have always been Thurs-Sat, hence this weekends schedule 

• Like 1

It's the old rule that was silly. It never should have been, for reasons that have been mentioned by several parties in this thread. The one thing that's changed that hadn't occurred to me was the on-line classes. That's a real difference.

I did scan the SEC baseball and softball schedules, not just Auburn's schedule. I think most if not all teams had a weekend or two with a schedule other than Friday/Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

It's the old rule that was silly. It never should have been, for reasons that have been mentioned by several parties in this thread. The one thing that's changed that hadn't occurred to me was the on-line classes. That's a real difference.

I did scan the SEC baseball and softball schedules, not just Auburn's schedule. I think most if not all teams had a weekend or two with a schedule other than Friday/Sunday.

Think most baseball players attempt a lighter schedule in the spring. Even prior to “on line” lots of hotel time between games equals excellent study hall time. Observation from my experience in staying where team did on a few trips years ago. Lot of lounging with text book hours.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AUlurker said:

Well pretty much most of the baseball team aren't taking your harder demanding majors. Being a student athlete is time demanding though.I remember hearing Kumar Rocker's parents say they came to Vandy due to the education, and Kumar was undecided still after 3 years. I don't even know if he's still at Vandy as a student.

Also personal tidbit. There's a kid that was from my high school that pretty much was dumb, but he committed to a major D1 baseball school. It was an open secret that strings were pulled because his grades were really bad, but by that same token, he had wanted to quit football his senior year to do showcases and Team USA trials, but since he was the starting QB, he was "convinced" to come back to the team. 

Point is, athletes usually aren't there for the education now. 

Edited by warbiscuit

… as for online classes … I’ve got 2 auburn students.  One has done well with online and the other has been obliterated by online classes.  I absolutely despise them unless there is an in person option.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 11:14 AM, SaltyTiger said:

Think most baseball players attempt a lighter schedule in the spring. Even prior to “on line” lots of hotel time between games equals excellent study hall time. Observation from my experience in staying where team did on a few trips years ago. Lot of lounging with text book hours.

Baseball season was always the easiest from an academic perspective.  Instructors were more than willing to work with players.  It was fall that was a beast, nearly killed me....

• Thanks 1