Anyone know if Harry's bar (on Opelika rd.) is still around?

"Harry's...where the elite meet". It's gone and was located across the road near where Niffers is located on Opelika road.

• Like 2

I believe that's a big before my time, i lived on Opelika road for about 6 years and never heard of it. 

However, found some pretty cool nastolgia pieces you might be interested in!

https://longlosttees.com/products/harrys-bar

https://auburnart.com/products/auburn-al-popular-hangout-for-auburn-students-harry-s-bar-vintage-framed-photo

https://www.secrant.com/rant/auburn-sports/throwback-thread---harrys/66277282/

• Thanks 1

If it was right across from where country's BBQ is now, that's now a Mexican restaurant and another building that's been a million different things in the last decade or so. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it had become a dump. Probably should have been torn down years earlier. I miss it too though. It was always our last stop on a weekend in college.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Yeah, it had become a dump. Probably should have been torn down years earlier. I miss it too though. It was always our last stop on a weekend in college.

It had become a dump? Hell, it was a dump 40 years ago. So I heard. 😇

• Like 1

Was Harry’s the one with the VW bug on the roof?

13 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

It had become a dump? Hell, it was a dump 40 years ago. So I heard. 😇

Well, I was there around 30 years ago.

8 ball - signs point to yes.jpg

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2022 at 8:08 AM, creed said:

"Harry's...where the elite meet". It's gone and was located across the road near where Niffers is located on Opelika road.

"Where entelligence is a virtue"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

Pretty sure in the men’s room there, amongst all the scribble on the wall, somebody contributed in ink, “Bear Bryant sleeps with the fishes”!

My favorite Graffiti from Harry's was the original....

"I slept with your mother"

below that in different writing,

"go home Dad ,  you're DRUNK!" 

• Haha 2

On 4/18/2022 at 10:44 AM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

So, 

Any students know which bar is  the happenin'  late night dive bar now days?

Back in my days of the early mid 2010s, it was Fat Daddy's. 

It was always interesting to see the mix of super drunk college kids, middle aged single mothers who were attractive 20 years and a substance abuse problem ago, and construction workers in one place. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 9:44 AM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

So, 

Any students know which bar is  the happenin'  late night dive bar now days?

Auburn is too boutique now for dive bars.  

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 10:38 PM, CMRVHS said:

I'm pretty sure the building was torn down years ago.

Yep, Harry's has been gone for a long time. There is a large apartment/condo complex there now. 

• Like 1

So many stories at Harry’s…  Anybody remember Master’s Grill (I think that was the name) down the road from Touchdowns?  

• Like 1

I was there mid-90s… Loved that place 

Favorite graffiti slogan I remember is one that said “Flush Twice- It’s a Long Way To Tuscaloosa “

I seem to remember the Jukebox had a good mix of classic rock and (real) country…Good times

• Like 1

Since we’re on the topic- does anyone know how Harry’s (when it was open)was able to keep serving alcohol all night? Seems like there was a 2:00 am curfew on drinks in most places…Only the Supper Club and Harry’s were able to keep serving…

I know the Supper Club had the “private club “ angle…With Harry’s, I always figured it was a combination of the owners/ bartenders not caring, and the cops not wanting to fool with the paperwork…

2 hours ago, Wire Road said:

Since we’re on the topic- does anyone know how Harry’s (when it was open)was able to keep serving alcohol all night? Seems like there was a 2:00 am curfew on drinks in most places…Only the Supper Club and Harry’s were able to keep serving…

I know the Supper Club had the “private club “ angle…With Harry’s, I always figured it was a combination of the owners/ bartenders not caring, and the cops not wanting to fool with the paperwork…

I think it  was just across the Opelika border.   May have also been a club, tho I do not remember signing up for membership. (but that means squat considering the shape I was in after closing down other bars. )

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wire Road said:

I don't know the "how", but if anyone was still there ordering drinks on a somewhat regular basis they would stay open. I stumbled out of there after the sun came up on a couple of occasions.

• Like 1