Mickey Dean signs contract extension

This is terrific news for Auburn Softball.  We are clearly headed in the right direction and I'm glad this got done to show stability in the program.  The future is very bright.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-softball-coach-Mickey-Dean-signs-contract-extension-186281698/

Auburn softball coach Mickey Dean signs contract extension

Fifth-year Auburn head softball coach Mickey Dean, in the final year of his original contract, confirmed to Auburn Undercover on Friday that he has signed a four-year extension.

“I am excited. I really am,” Dean said. “I am excited for these next four years with what we have, the youth we have, the excitement we have in our program. It’s like being young again.

Dean arrived from James Madison University in the fall of 2017 in the wake of the scandal that cost Hall of Fame head coach Clint Myers his job. Myers’ son and pitching coach, Corey Myers, was accused of an improper relationship with a player.

Dean inherited a divided team, and it stayed that way through most of his first four seasons. This season’s team is the first in his tenure that has included only players he recruited. His past two signing classes were rated among the nation’s best. Dean typically has as many as five freshmen in the starting lineup. Catcher Aspyn Godwin is the only senior on the roster.

Auburn has hit 71 home runs this season after hitting just 22 last season. Freshmen have combined to hit 36 of those home runs.

Dean, in his fifth season, has a record of 155-82 overall and 35-56 in the SEC. In his 16th season as a head coach, he is 633-254. He has taken Auburn to three consecutive NCAA Tournaments, missing only 2020 when the season was stopped because of COVID-19.

Administrators, in evaluating the program, believed it is headed in the right direction.

“I know it took a little longer than people would have liked,” Dean said. “Sometimes it just does because of the situations you face. It hasn’t been an easy journey, but I really like where we are going.”

The Tigers swept a doubleheader against Niagara on Friday, winning 8-0 in six innings and 15-7 in five innings to improve their record to 32-9. They play the series finale Sunday at 10 a.m.

• Like 4

Every coach has its flaws with ours typically occurring on the bases, but willing to take that flaw with how his first true team is performing this year.  The changing of hitting drills last fall (hitting homeruns off the tee) was a stroke of genius. The girls are all bought in now.  We've had the surprising unfortunate luck with pitching this year but that's one area Dean is an expert on.  Looking forward to moving on with him for a while. Glad you're sticking around CMD! War Eagle!

• Like 5

I believe Dean has earned this contract extension.  The SEC looks quite different now, even from a few years ago when Myers

was coaching. Arkansas was a joke then. Deifel has done a great job there. BTW, did anyone else watch Arky-UK last night? I turned it on to have something to watch while I ate dinner, then couldn't turn it off. Hogs went up 7-1 with Haff pitching, then UK had a 6-run inning to tie it, then won it with 3 in the 7th.