Softball vs Chattanooga

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Who's leading?  Did Fouts regain the lead?  Maddie was leading by 20+Ks earlier in the year. 

Fouts has a better strike out %.  she has faced 449 batters with 203 SO's or 45.2% strikeouts.

Penta faced 504 at bats with 201 strike outs for 39.8%.  

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Didn't think of this angle with the schedule.  Pretty smart to schedule some beatable non conference before the final push and give these girls playing time so they can be ready come regional time. 

I’m not sure Dean planned it, but it seemed to work out well for us, especially after a disappointing Arkansas series. 

A few thoughts on my end on the SEC and Auburn so far:

1. Arkansas and Alabama are the top 2 in the SEC but for different reasons. The bats and power for Arkansas are really hot right now. If Haff can match Delce’s effectiveness in the circle then they will be at the WCWS. I’ll be interested to see how they do next year without 6 very good 5th year players. Alabama is lead by their pitching. Fouts and Kilfoyl are the best 1-2 punch in the nation when on, but they’ve had more off days this year than the past. Their hitting will need to pick up the slack when the pitchers aren’t performing well. 

2. Missouri, Ole Miss, A&M, and South Carolina are in the bottom group this year. Missouri was preseason top 4. They have to be disappointed in their performance thus far.

3. The middle of the SEC is anyones guess. Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, MS State, and LSU have shown they can beat anyone in the SEC on one day and lose to anyone the next.

4. Auburn has the opportunity to make a statement over the next few weeks with series against MS State, Georgia, and Tennessee. Hopefully we can win each series, but we need to avoid getting swept again.

5. Hopefully Packer and Peralta can return to the lineup this weekend. It would also be nice to get Lowe back, but I’m resting her until she is 100%. 

6. Schmidt has really impressed me with her performance at the plate over the past few weeks. If she continues on this streak, I’d have her in RF (assuming Packer returns) then let Blaine, Godwin, and Lisenby battle it out for C and DP. At minimum, she should be a late inning substitution to improve our outfield defense.  

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

I’m not sure Dean planned it, but it seemed to work out well for us, especially after a disappointing Arkansas series. 

1. Arkansas and Alabama are the top 2 in the SEC but for different reasons. The bats and power for Arkansas are really hot right now. If Haff can match Delce’s effectiveness in the circle then they will be at the WCWS. I’ll be interested to see how they do next year without 6 very good 5th year players. Alabama is lead by their pitching. Fouts and Kilfoyl are the best 1-2 punch in the nation when on, but they’ve had more off days this year than the past. Their hitting will need to pick up the slack when the pitchers aren’t performing well. 

2. Missouri, Ole Miss, A&M, and South Carolina are in the bottom group this year. Missouri was preseason top 4. They have to be disappointed in their performance thus far.

3. The middle of the SEC is anyones guess. Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, MS State, and LSU have shown they can beat anyone in the SEC on one day and lose to anyone the next.

4. Auburn has the opportunity to make a statement over the next few weeks with series against MS State, Georgia, and Tennessee. Hopefully we can win each series, but we need to avoid getting swept again.

5. Hopefully Packer and Peralta can return to the lineup this weekend. It would also be nice to get Lowe back, but I’m resting her until she is 100%. 

6. Schmidt has really impressed me with her performance at the plate over the past few weeks. If she continues on this streak, I’d have her in RF (assuming Packer returns) then let Blaine, Godwin, and Lisenby battle it out for C and DP. At minimum, she should be a late inning substitution to improve our outfield defense.  

I agree that the State, UGA, and UT series to close the season are huge, but if resting Lowe for longer means she will be healthy for the postseason, I'm totally on board with sitting her in these last 3 series. 

2 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

My guess would be that we see Peralta, Packer in the starting lineup Friday and Lowe gets a start in the circle this weekend. 

I would have Lisenby C - she is batting .304 at the moment and was at .211 less than a month ago. She is looking strong. Godwin tends to struggle with SEC pitching, Blaine has been struggling compared to her hot start at the beginning of the year but I think she is the best DP option.  RF is such a hard call on who to start, but I agree Schmidt deserves some AB's.

7 hours ago, LetsGo said:

My guess would be that we see Peralta, Packer in the starting lineup Friday and Lowe gets a start in the circle this weekend. 

I would have Lisenby C - she is batting .304 at the moment and was at .211 less than a month ago. She is looking strong. Godwin tends to struggle with SEC pitching, Blaine has been struggling compared to her hot start at the beginning of the year but I think she is the best DP option.  RF is such a hard call on who to start, but I agree Schmidt deserves some AB's.

I am a Shelby Lowe fan but we have not seen her since a 1 inning appearance vs. Arkansas on 4/10.  I would think if she was ready we might have seen her close out the game last Wednesday or at least get a couple of innings.  She has given up 8 HR on 11 fewer pitches than Dismukes (4HR).  I know she wants to be a contributor for the team but we are not privy to the actual issue (presumed injury) holding her back.  The issue with Peralta of course is her error propensity.....11 errors in SEC play.  Having her bat in the lineup has to be weighed against potential damage as a result of potential errors.  Difficult call to make in my opinion.  It has been fun getting to see some other players getting some time on the field. 

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

The issue with Peralta of course is her error propensity.....11 errors in SEC play.

Don't know for sure, obviously, but I don't think Peralta's absence from the lineup is due to her errors. She's been pretty steady the last couple of weeks only committing 2 errors since 3/21 and 0 errors in her last 4 games where she's been in the field.  I think her and Packer both got hurt during the Arkansas series. Last night was the first time we've seen both of them since.

Edit: Dropping a link. https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-softball-team-coasts-to-victory-over-Chattanooga-186508721/

“We had some hitters that had some real good days,” Dean said. “We were trying to work back in some who had been injured, get them some at-bats. We had chances to end the game and didn’t get it done … poor baserunning.

“We were ready to play and played hard and did a good job. Then we just started coasting. I think we learned a lesson.”

Dean sent out numerous pinch-hitters after Auburn opened a big lead. They included Nelia Peralta and Makayla Packer, who had missed the previous four games with injuries. Auburn’s momentum ground to a halt."

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Thanks 1

An unbiased eye wouldn't see much difference between MSU and Auburn.  We're both 7-8 in the conference.  We won 5/6 from aTm and USCe, they won 5/6 from Mizzou and Ole Miss.  Both teams took a game from Florida (theirs in Gainesville).  BTW, Phoebe Florian is on their roster, along with Allison Florian (sister?).  Neither has played much, Phoebe has 4 ABs with a triple, seems to be a pinch runner.  They have 61 homers and Mia Davidson has 18 of them.  We really need to win this series.

• Like 3