NCAA Rules Changes:Targeting & Fake Injuries

toddc

NCAA panel approves measures to correct targeting rule, faking injuries

Stephen Samraabout 8 hours
ncaa-panel-approves-measures-correct-targeting-rule-faking-injures-college-football-playing-rules C. Morgan Engel/NCAA Photos via Getty Images

The NCAA is cracking down on some controversial rules. On Wednesday, the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved changes that are intended to make the targeting rule more accurate, and address instances of teams appearing to fake injuries.

“The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Wednesday approved football measures intended to strengthen the accuracy of the targeting rule, limit blocking below the waist and address teams that appear to fake injuries to gain an advantage,” wrotethe NCAA. “All these rules changes will take effect in the 2022 season.”

First, the NCAA will enact an appeal process for games where a targeting foul occurs in the second half of a game.

“In games that have instant replay, when a targeting foul occurs in the second half, the carryover penalty (of sitting out the first half of that player’s next game) will be eligible for further appeal,” wrote the NCAA. “The process will begin with a conference submitting a request to the NCAA national coordinator of officials, who would review video of the play. 

“If it is obvious that a player was incorrectly penalized for targeting, the call would be overturned, and the player would be cleared to play in the first half of the next game.”

Fans have been clamoring for new targeting rules due to some tough calls over recent seasons, but Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated tweeted that hopes shouldn’t go up too high. 

“Re the new targeting appeals process: Last year, there were 99 targeting fouls in the second half of FBS games (eligible for appeals). Steve Shaw (National Coordinator of Officials) told @SINow last week that *less than five of them* would have been overturned on appeal,” tweetedDellenger. 

Continuing, the NCAA also will enact a reporting and investigation processfor teams believed to be faking injuries in 2022.

“To address teams that are awarded an injury timeout through deceptive actions, panel members approved a reporting and investigation process,” wrote the NCAA. “Schools and conferences will be able to report questionable scenarios to the national coordinator of officials, who will review and provide feedback to the conference for further action. Any penalties levied would be up to the conference office or school involved.”

According to the NCAA, the NCAA Football Rules Committee weighed “several in-game options” to address the issue, including forcing an injured player to miss more than one play. However, they came to the conclusion that the possibility of players staying on the field hurt to avoid missing more than one play was too big of a risk to enact. 

“We considered all options to address this issue, including allowing both teams an opportunity to substitute after a first down,” said David Shaw, chair of the Football Rules Committee and coach at Stanford, discussing how the pace of play appears to be contributing to this concern, via the NCAA. “This is another step to consider in the future.”

In addition to the rule changes regarding targeting and faking injuries, the NCAA also addressed rules governing blocking below the waist, defensive holding and declaring a runner down when they begin to simulate a feet-first slide. The latter came into play last season, when Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickettcontroversially fake-slid on his way to a momentum-shifting touchdown run.

I bet Auburn was one of the five that would have been overturned on target. Want to say it was a play from a linebacker for AU. I think it was last season and right at the end zone. Can’t remember who it was called on though.

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

I bet Auburn was one of the five that would have been overturned on target. Want to say it was a play from a linebacker for AU. I think it was last season and right at the end zone. Can’t remember who it was called on though.

You mean the one on Moultry? That was definitely a targeting and wouldn't have been over turned.

Also, I swore there was already an appeal process. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Zakoby vs PSU 

Edited by bigbird
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Zakoby vs PSU 

🤷🏻‍♂️Why did you have to post this? The absurdity of this call still p***** me off

• Like 4

Just plain stupid I don’t care what the rule is trying to accomplish.  So just let him score?  If they gonna mark the runner down because he is diving for the end zone then OK otherwise you have to give the defender some sort of chance to stop the score.  What else could he have done?  Shoulder to shoulder contact.  Nothing about that should ever be considered targeting.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So, basically no changes right?

Pretty much.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fredst said:

🤷🏻‍♂️Why did you have to post this? The absurdity of this call still p***** me off

An infuriating call. Hated it for McClain. And for me. Let's not forget about me. 

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, cbo said:

An infuriating call. Hated it for McClain. And for me. Let's not forget about me. 

Not even for a second. You should actually be concerned about how preoccupied with you I am. 

• Haha 2

The player is not defenseless when he is still trying to reach out and score. According to the rules it was targeting but that is where they should have looked at the rule and defined a player on offense who is still attacking is not defenseless. By not addressing that they made no changes at all.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not even for a second. You should actually be concerned about how preoccupied with you I am. 

Thank You I Think GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:25 PM, fredst said:

Same....

Oh, you just made a TD saving tackle? Get outta the game!

smh 😕 

I thought for sure they'd come down a bit harder on the Kiffin Injury Special tactic.  Oh well...

• Like 1

If injured, they should sit until the end of the series.

You know, being cautious and all.

On 4/21/2022 at 7:44 PM, bigbird said:

Zakoby vs PSU 

One against Moo State or USCe on Pappoe I belive that basically gifted the opposing team 4 new downs on a goalline stop