Tre Donaldson: Basketball Only in 2022/23

toddc

Dual-sport Auburn signee Tre Donaldson to only play basketball 

ByNATHAN KING 96 minutes ago

Share8 Comments

Will Jabari Smith, Chet Holmgren or Paolo Banchero get selected with No. 1 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft?

ATLANTA — The plan is for dual-sport signee Tre Donaldson to only play basketball his freshman season at Auburn, Bruce Pearl told two reporters, including Auburn Undercover, on Tuesday evening before an Auburn alumni event in Atlanta.

"He loves basketball," Pearl said. "He loves being a floor general. He's a tough, physical defender. Pretty good with and without the ball."

Pearl said Donaldson and his family informed Auburn that he was "truly going to be basketball only."

Bryan Harsin confirmed to Auburn Undercover later in the evening that Donaldson is not expected to join the football team this summer and preseason.

8COMMENTS

A native of Tallahassee, Florida, Donaldson was a three-star point guard recruit and a four-star safety in the 2022 class.

Edited by toddc

• toddc changed the title to Tre Donaldson: Basketball Only in 2022/23

Great news for him. 

I was gonna look for his thread when I read the news and came on here, but I’ll just post it. That dude could be a real 2 way stud. His football style, basketball position (and intellect), and his comparable frame makes me think he could have real Marcus Smart potential, if things break right. Smart was more of a scorer than passer early on, but outside of that, I feel like it’s a solid archetype for him to build into 

And that fairly low ranking plus (unfortunately) becoming an afterthought in this class for many is gonna give that kid a MASSIVE chip, like Smart has. 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

This has been known since August. Love your work Nate but the redundancy for a story was unnecessary.

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This has been known since August. Love your work Nate but the redundancy for a story was unnecessary.

And before. Yet, today he's still being carried as a football verbal by the ranking services. It's a nice ploy to keep Auburn from falling out of the top 20 recruiting rankings but it's more than a little dishonest.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2