Flanigan & Cardwell Testing NBA Draft Potential

toddc

Hoping Flanigan body continue to heal. It was very admirable for him to rush himself back and try to help the team. Unfortunately I don't think people really appreciated what he struggled with......I'm hoping he can play a season at least at 95% but who knows? Hate that he was injured

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Hoping Flanigan body continue to heal. It was very admirable for him to rush himself back and try to help the team. Unfortunately I don't think people really appreciated what he struggled with......I'm hoping he can play a season at least at 95% but who knows? Hate that he was injured

That’s the worst thing about playing injured; after the initial good will and welcome backs, people start conflating that limited version of yourself with the normal one 

Happening with Klay Thompson currently (who may never return to form being over the hill and having both knees messed up, but just an example) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Achilles injuries' take a long time to really get back to 100% and that is just the physical side.  Like you I want him back but I am greedy I want him at 100% so he can shut up the naysayers who rode him so hard last year.

• Like 3

Flanigan To Attend 2022 NBA G League Elite Camp In Chicago

Auburn University Athletics
3 minutes

NEW YORK – Auburn rising senior guard Allen Flanigan (Little Rock, Ark.) is one of 44 prospects for the NBA Draft 2022 presented by State Farm, who will attend the 2022 NBA G League Elite Camp on May 16-17 at Wintrust Arena in Chicago, as announced by the NBA G League on Monday.

The 2022 NBA G League Elite Camp gives draft prospects an opportunity to display their skills in front of NBA and NBA G League scouts, coaches and front-office executives over the course of the camp by playing in five-on-five games and participating in strength and agility drills.

Based on performance, select players from the NBA G League Elite Camp will be invited to participate in Microsoft Surface NBA Draft Combine 2022, which will be held May 18-22 at Wintrust Arena.

"We are thrilled to host this talented group of draft prospects at our NBA G League Elite Camp," NBA G League Head of Basketball Operations Malik Rose said. "This is an incredible opportunity for these 44 young men to showcase their basketball abilities in front of both NBA and NBA G League front office personnel."

NBA players that have participated in past NBA G League Elite Camps include New Orleans Pelicans guard Jose Alvarado, Indiana Pacers forward Oshae Brissett, LA Clippers guard Terance Mann and Miami Heat guard Max Strus.

Players Mentioned

Allen Flanigan

#22 Allen Flanigan

G 6' 6" 215 lbs Sophomore

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Flanigan To Attend 2022 NBA G League Elite Camp In Chicago

Auburn University Athletics
3 minutes

NEW YORK – Auburn rising senior guard Allen Flanigan (Little Rock, Ark.) is one of 44 prospects for the NBA Draft 2022 presented by State Farm, who will attend the 2022 NBA G League Elite Camp on May 16-17 at Wintrust Arena in Chicago, as announced by the NBA G League on Monday.

The 2022 NBA G League Elite Camp gives draft prospects an opportunity to display their skills in front of NBA and NBA G League scouts, coaches and front-office executives over the course of the camp by playing in five-on-five games and participating in strength and agility drills.

Based on performance, select players from the NBA G League Elite Camp will be invited to participate in Microsoft Surface NBA Draft Combine 2022, which will be held May 18-22 at Wintrust Arena.

"We are thrilled to host this talented group of draft prospects at our NBA G League Elite Camp," NBA G League Head of Basketball Operations Malik Rose said. "This is an incredible opportunity for these 44 young men to showcase their basketball abilities in front of both NBA and NBA G League front office personnel."

NBA players that have participated in past NBA G League Elite Camps include New Orleans Pelicans guard Jose Alvarado, Indiana Pacers forward Oshae Brissett, LA Clippers guard Terance Mann and Miami Heat guard Max Strus.

Players Mentioned

Allen Flanigan

#22 Allen Flanigan

G 6' 6" 215 lbs Sophomore

If nothing else he will be competing against top notch players and that usually helps you to elevate your game. This is a win for Auburn unless he is good enough to decide to leave. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If nothing else he will be competing against top notch players and that usually helps you to elevate your game. This is a win for Auburn unless he is good enough to decide to leave. 

Even if something clicks for him offensively there, I think he's going to have to come back to Auburn to have any realistic shot at being drafted. You're absolutely right about it being a win for us (Auburn) for him to be there.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Even if something clicks for him offensively there, I think he's going to have to come back to Auburn to have any realistic shot at being drafted. You're absolutely right about it being a win for us (Auburn) for him to be there.

Plus Flan has signed a deal with NIL Auburn. Word is there is near 0 chance he leaves now.

• Like 2

Sort of relevant for this thread ... If he can get that confidence that he had his Sophomore year ... watch out.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

absolutely nuts. As long as he’s half of 2020, that guy is getting drafted somewhere 

Am I remembering correctly that he was about this weight in 2019-2020 and 10+ lbs lighter his freshman year and at the beginning of last year? He looked like he had lost some strength/weight while he was injured. So hopefully he's getting that back as well. 

21 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Sort of relevant for this thread ... If he can get that confidence that he had his Sophomore year ... watch out.

That is exactly what we need from him this year. Quick no hesitation and he nailed it. Now let him do it consustently and we will be super tough this year. We have enough ball handlers so he won't have to me 1st or second option this year.

• Like 1

I am excited to see Flanigan coming back this year.  Both of the video's looked like the old Flanigan.  I realize these are highlight types but it still makes me feel much better and maybe we don't have to add one more player. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That is exactly what we need from him this year. Quick no hesitation and he nailed it. Now let him do it consustently and we will be super tough this year. We have enough ball handlers so he won't have to me 1st or second option this year.

lol. tbh, I don't remember him ever being 6'7". I thought he came to school about 6'5" and maybe grew to 6'6". Never realized he's 6'7" a;ready.  :)

His speed and agility has never been his problem other than he likes to only go north/south and doesnt have loose hips to get out of the way of a charge. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

lol. tbh, I don't remember him ever being 6'7". I thought he came to school about 6'5" and maybe grew to 6'6". Never realized he's 6'7" a;ready.  :)

His speed and agility has never been his problem other than he likes to only go north/south and doesnt have loose hips to get out of the way of a charge. :)

Since he was measured by the Pro's this is probably correct. I don't think it is he doesn't have loose hips to avoid the charge I just don't think he tries to once he makes up his mind.  The reason I don't think it is loose hips is on defensive he adjusts well very much like a DB in football. It is a part of his game he needs to work on in seeing and adjusting to players who cut him off when he drives to the basket. He has a nice stroke so I expect his 3 point shooting to be better this year.  My biggest hope is he plays under control and takes what is available.  I would like to see him play 18-20 minutes 10-12 points  a game, solid 3 point percentage, cut down on turn overs continue playing his tough defense and  6-9 boards a game. If he can do that this year it will help his NBA draft stock and assuming other players come through we will be a very good team. He needs to improve his handle and also on O needs to see whole floor better so he can pass off drives to setup other players in addition to going to the rim. He just needs little improvements to become really good.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

The 6'7" number was with shoes (per the info sheets in that tweet), but last I checked, you play basketball in shoes so that's a relevant number. Generally though, height is listed as your height without shoes on.

That 31" standing vertical is a hell of a number. Set aside his size. That's a big number regardless. Best standing vert for any forward/center at the combine. Impressive. Looks like he's getting some of that explosiveness back. He was diminished by that injury during the season.

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

Am I remembering correctly that he was about this weight in 2019-2020 and 10+ lbs lighter his freshman year and at the beginning of last year? He looked like he had lost some strength/weight while he was injured. So hopefully he's getting that back as well. 

His freshman year was 19-20, but yeah I think he was pretty big body in 20-21. Now, the weight he played at in his freshman year was enough to bang with dudes like Anthony Edwards, who has just been supernaturally strong since the beginning. 

He also seems like Isaac Okoro in that he can hang with bigger body wings due to his core strength. He's got a couple inches on him (while having the same wingspan), so I would think there's a lot of carry over in the type of matchups they get tasked with (although Okoro is a better defender obv) 

• Like 1

Would like for him to develop his right hand side more....he seems to do things with his left side and teams seemed to plan their defense that way...regardless, always wish him the best...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

maybe we don't have to add one more player. 

We still need to for depth purposes, especially if Westry plays more at Guard.

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

His freshman year was 19-20, but yeah I think he was pretty big body in 20-21. Now, the weight he played at in his freshman year was enough to bang with dudes like Anthony Edwards, who has just been supernaturally strong since the beginning. 

He also seems like Isaac Okoro in that he can hang with bigger body wings due to his core strength. He's got a couple inches on him (while having the same wingspan), so I would think there's a lot of carry over in the type of matchups they get tasked with (although Okoro is a better defender obv) 

Yeah, I get the feeling that his confidence was sky high when he was training with Okoro while Okoro was preparing for the draft. Perhaps he could work out with Okoro again this summer if only for a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

Yeah, I get the feeling that his confidence was sky high when he was training with Okoro while Okoro was preparing for the draft. Perhaps he could work out with Okoro again this summer if only for a couple of weeks. 

It’s always good to learn from NBA talent. They were both freshmen so I can’t call him more wisened, but Okoro was definitely a bit ahead of schedule. 

I think he’ll come in a new man as far as on court leadership goes, I really do. A lot of pro level talent out there at that GLeague thingy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

We still need to for depth purposes, especially if Westry plays more at Guard.

We still have to lose one scholarship player over next few years.  There is no perfect time for that.  If Flanigan is improved and Moore is healthy enough and good enough to provide some depth this might be the year to do it. I realize this is fluid but other then SF we have more depth across the board this year then we usually have.  We can play Westry at SF some, maybe even Traore or Jaylin neither is ideal but there is no way to know if in the future we will be in a better position to drop a scholarship. At some point we have to lose the scholarship. I think it will come down to can we find the right player to give us a shot to go far but if not lets go with what we have.  There are only a few players in Portal it might be worth taking assuming we can get any of them. I will be happy with what ever Pearl decides as he knows more about the game in his little finger then I do in my whole body.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We still have to lose one scholarship player over next few years. 

I know.

There is no perfect time for that.  If Flanigan is improved and Moore is healthy enough and good enough to provide some depth this might be the year to do it.

Both of those are gambles though & not worth the risk. Especially C-Mo for depth with him coming off injuries, surgery, & playing relatively low minutes last year. If you find a quality wing you take him & not worry right now about the scholly we have to eat in 1 of the next 3 years. Especially given the fact we have been at less than 13 schollied players on a yearly basis than have been at the max of 13. More than likely we eat that scholly naturally 1 of the then coming 2 years if we take another player this year.

there is no way to know if in the future we will be in a better position to drop a scholarship.

Yes there is. Guys graduate, transfer, move on, go pro all the time. Attrition happens a lot more on a yearly basis than not. Also we have 4 guys on the team right now that can play point. Thus when Zep leaves after next year you don't have to replace him. Also when Stretch graduates you don't have to replace him either.

At some point we have to lose the scholarship.

Yes but it's not something we have to or need to worry about right now given we haven't had 13 schollied players often in a year. The thought right now should be to maximize the roster. If you can't land a guy you think can play, especially this season, then you eat the scholly naturally.

There are only a few players in Portal it might be worth taking assuming we can get any of them.

Actually there are a good number of guys in the portal that could help make our team better, even more so once guys withdraw from the draft process.

We are on a roll with national perception.  One of the top 4 winingest programs.  Great recruiting.  National awards. Draftees.  I’d want to maximize as many years in a row as we can to cement our brand to high schoolers.  If we absolutely have to take a small step back due to a lost scholly and can control it, I’d prefer to wait.  We got some historic Mo with our program.  Let’s keep it.

• Like 2