NIL thoughts and opinion

DAG

Probably better suited for general sports but wanted to get some traffic going. It seems the power has shifted and now players are coming to the table.  Hard to see this not occurring, especially when you correlate the push and pull we see at the next level, E.G. players willing to sit out or asking to be traded:

I think this is a first from the NIL standpoint.

I guess my question is, do you foresee the NCAA somehow find ways to manage the newly developed landscape of collegiate athletics? How would you go about it? Coaches supposedly cannot directly influence this portion, but how does Auburn make it mark? I did like that CBH at least provided lip service to it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33823826/nil-agent-says-miami-hoops-star-isaiah-wong-enter-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-increased

I honestly don't know what the NCAA can do at this point.  Tooth paste is out of the tube.

I'm glad kids are getting money, but some of it seems pretty absurd.  They are just demanding money.  IMO, NIL seems like it should have been for sponsors or autograph signings or them showing up to camps or social events or social media influencing.....But now it's like you get 800k.  You get 50k if you are a Texas Lineman.  What the hell are these kids sponsoring?

Didn't Bryce Young sign a 7 figure contract?  I didn't see his ass in a single endorsement deal.  We apparently got Tank a couple hundred K, right?  What's he promoting.

This isn't NIL it's straight paying players.  Just call it what it is.  It's 90% money that was already flowing below the table, now it's out in the open and kids have some power to get more if they get better.

Not sure if it is even possible, but a collective bargaining agreement with some wage structures is probably what's needed.  But out of all 130 D1 teams there are massive gaps between say the middle tranche and the top 15.  IDK how you even scope it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I honestly don't know what the NCAA can do at this point.  Tooth paste is out of the tube.

I'm glad kids are getting money, but some of it seems pretty absurd.  They are just demanding money.  IMO, NIL seems like it should have been for sponsors or autograph signings or them showing up to camps or social events or social media influencing.....But now it's like you get 800k.  You get 50k if you are a Texas Lineman.  What the hell are these kids sponsoring?

Didn't Bryce Young sign a 7 figure contract?  I didn't see his ass in a single endorsement deal.  We apparently got Tank a couple hundred K, right?  What's he promoting.

This isn't NIL it's straight paying players.  Just call it what it is.  It's 90% money that was already flowing below the table, now it's out in the open and kids have some power to get more if they get better.

Not sure if it is even possible, but a collective bargaining agreement with some wage structures is probably what's needed.  But out of all 130 D1 teams there are massive gaps between say the middle tranche and the top 15.  IDK how you even scope it.

The sad thing is this kid’s beef should be with the billionaire , not the school. Sounds like his agent didn’t do a great job getting him the best deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The sad thing is this kid’s beef should be with the billionaire , not the school. Sounds like his agent didn’t do a great job getting him the best deal.

I think this is why probably most coaches if asked privately would tell you, they can’t stand NIL in it’s current form. The University and it’s employees invest tons of money and time into a athlete to try to get this young man an education and if he works hard and is talented enough, to the next level. In this situation, the school will lose all that they have invested, through no fault of their own. If he does leave, I wouldn’t think coaches will be running to give this kid another opportunity for fear of the same thing happening again. I just think in this situation it’s a bad look for the athlete and a decision that may impact his potential going forward. I guess we will find out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Not sure if it is even possible, but a collective bargaining agreement with some wage structures is probably what's needed. 

Conceptually accurate, but wages and CBAs are for employees and at least for now the players aren’t employees. Yet another aspect of the NIL that is problematic. It’s a poorly thought out mess and I’m not sure how it gets better anytime soon. 

• Like 2

I think the NIL needs better guidance from the NCAA in general and in time I think it will be worked out.  This is all still so new so right now it is a trial and error.  At first I wanted a cap of sorts but the more I thought about it I think that there will be a natural cap put into place.  Right now there is a surge with deals getting higher and higher.  That is expected.  In a few years some of the big sponsors may see some of these highly touted players they signed big deals with not pan out and it will make them not want to shell out that big of a contract in the future.

I am not a fan of the situation like the Miami Men’s Basketball player holding the school hostage saying he will transfer if he doesn’t get more money. I would love to see the NCAA come out and say something along the lines of you can only sign 1-2 deals in your college tenure.

I do worry that schools with not much money may be left behind and I hate to see that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think the NIL needs better guidance from the NCAA in general and in time I think it will be worked out.  This is all still so new so right now it is a trial and error.  At first I wanted a cap of sorts but the more I thought about it I think that there will be a natural cap put into place.  Right now there is a surge with deals getting higher and higher.  That is expected.  In a few years some of the big sponsors may see some of these highly touted players they signed big deals with not pan out and it will make them not want to shell out that big of a contract in the future.

I am not a fan of the situation like the Miami Men’s Basketball player holding the school hostage saying he will transfer if he doesn’t get more money. I would love to see the NCAA come out and say something along the lines of you can only sign 1-2 deals in your college tenure.

I do worry that schools with not much money may be left behind and I hate to see that.

Pretty much agree and we will end up with a  Super League of 75 schools or so

• Like 1

There’s more and more high powered coaches railing on in public about NIL, and the portal, lately, as having a detrimental effect on college sports. I’ve got a feeling that the PTB will find a way to fix it, with or without the NCAA.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:22 PM, W.E.D said:

It’s good that they’re getting paid (publicly now). 

I think a collective bargaining agreement would be terrible. Anything with a union or representatives would be awful. Look how terrible it is for pro sports with lock outs. These NIL’s are individual transactions. It should stay that way imo. 

Another reason you could never formalize these things is because of Title IX. We’re probably pretty close to a messy situation with that anyways. 

It’s all so dumb. NCAA should’ve just looked the other way and kept things the way they are but they couldn’t help themselves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Once agents take over it’ll be just like pro sports. Would turn pretty crappy imo. 

Disagree with your last sentence though. Openly paying kids could be the most egalitarian thing to ever happen to CFB. Kentucky couldn’t bring in a top 5 class 10 years ago, they could now (hypothetically).