Softball vs Georgia

31 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Full count strike out swinging for McCondichie. Just 0 clutch hits today. I don't think we got a hit when runners were on base.

Georgia wins 6-3

Auburn is tied for 4th in the SEC standings and they have a chance to move to 3rd with a series against Tennessee coming up next weekend.

Did LSU lose this weekend? We were 5th coming into the series I believe. 

Actually we are tied for 6th.

Screenshot_20220501-170135_Chrome.jpg

Today's game pretty much bookended with the first game.  Kersics had her best stuff today, and Penta didn't.  Encouraged that Lowe could come in and get as many innings as she got.  Happy for Yarbrough and Godwin that their last appearances at JBM were at least personally positive.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Did LSU lose this weekend? We were 5th coming into the series I believe. 

They won on Friday and then lost Saturday and Sunday.

28 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Actually we are tied for 6th.

Screenshot_20220501-170135_Chrome.jpg

I was going by the graphic they showed during the game. They mentioned it several times that we were 4th. Guess other teams won, though, that might have pushed us back down.

Edit: Missouri swept A&M this weekend so that pushed them ahead of the log jam. Really makes things weird when teams haven't played the same number of games. Florida has already completed their schedule. While Tennesse has played 3 less games than everyone else.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 1

Check back tomorrow night, as UT and Ole Miss have played only one game of their series.  Also, Florida has finished their SEC schedule at 13-11, while we are 11-10.  I think the only way we could get to 4th is to sweep UT, as Florida would have the tiebreaker as a result of winning our series.  One UT-Mizzou game was cancelled earlier in the season.  Or, if OM were to sweep UT, we would only need to win the series to move ahead of UT.  Missouri is currently 1/2 game ahead of us, but they are playing Alabama next weekend.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Today's game pretty much bookended with the first game.  Kersics had her best stuff today, and Penta didn't.  Encouraged that Lowe could come in and get as many innings as she got.  Happy for Yarbrough and Godwin that their last appearances at JBM were at least personally positive.

Maybe these 2 Seniors aren't done after all......

Tennessee run-ruled Ole Miss tonight, making them 12-7, so we would definitely need to sweep them to be in the Top 4 and get the bye.  Right now, the odds-on Top 4 are Arky, Alabama, UT and Florida; but who knows what may happen.?  There are 4 teams tied at 11-10 right now, which creates a lot of possibilities. Also wondering about the NCAA. Our RPI isn't good enough for us to host (although maybe it would be if we swept UT). We're likely a 2 seed for some team in the Southeast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Tennessee run-ruled Ole Miss tonight, making them 12-7, so we would definitely need to sweep them to be in the Top 4 and get the bye.  Right now, the odds-on Top 4 are Arky, Alabama, UT and Florida; but who knows what may happen.?  There are 4 teams tied at 11-10 right now, which creates a lot of possibilities. Also wondering about the NCAA. Our RPI isn't good enough for us to host (although maybe it would be if we swept UT). We're likely a 2 seed for some team in the Southeast.

Yeah, lots of talk among the Auburn faithful about hosting, but the RPI isn’t on our side (and RPI is leaned on heavily in softball). 

Our non-conference strength of schedule is hurting us. Outside of the Clearwater tournament, we played way too many cupcakes, particularly Delaware State, Alabama State, and Niagara. 

34 minutes ago, all4AU said:

Our non-conference strength of schedule is hurting us. Outside of the Clearwater tournament, we played way too many cupcakes, particularly Delaware State, Alabama State, and Niagara.

We've got to take the bitter with the sweet. With as team as young as Auburn's is this year we needed some cupcakes to build confidence. I'd expect the schedule to toughen next season.

• Like 6

It was a really good weekend for Auburn. We got a series win against a top 20 team who is probably one of the best hitting teams in the country. While their team ERA is inflated, Kerpics is one of the better pitchers in the conference.

Penta did a really great job in game 1,  we got a complete game from Dismukes in game 2, and we got really good performances from Lowe and Yarbrough in game 3. Georgia is hard team to face a second time, so I am not surprised Penta struggled in game 3, especially on a day it seemed she didn’t have her best stuff. Our bats showed up the majority of the weekend, but we seemed to press too hard after getting down early in game 3. Hopefully Dean can emphasize importance of staying loose moving forward.

Out of conference schedule definitely hurt us in the RPI, but I agree with @Mikey on the need for the freshman to build confidence against weaker teams. In terms of seeding, I think we are on the outside looking in for hosting a regional. We would need a series win at Tennessee and a game or two in the conference tournament to be in consideration. I would like to host a regional, but I think the best regional seed we get is #16. As much as I would love home field advantage in the regionals, I’m not sure I want to go to Oklahoma in supers. We can’t go to a SEC team in regionals, so we likely end up at FSU, Clemson, or Duke. If we can avoid going to FSU again, I think we a have really good shot against the other two and probably get a more favorable match up in supers. Just a thought. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 5

Good post.  Our RPI was 28 coming into the UGA series, and theirs was 17.  28 put us right in the crosshairs for FSU, who had a 5 RPI entering the weekend.  They swept Oklahoma St., which should move them up.  We should move up also.  If we can get into the low 20s at least, we'd be better positioned to draw Duke or Clemson.  Our nearness to Tallahassee works against us also.

Update:  We moved up to 26, and FSU up to 4.  The perfect match for FSU's 2 seed is 29, based on RPI.  I think we need to move up some more to escape Tallahassee.  UT lost their series with OM in Oxford; they should be about 12 RPI.  As Jad0003 said above, we probably need to win the UT series and a couple games in the tournament to avoid FSU.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Thanks 1