Roger McCreary Drafted in 2nd by Titans

toddc

Auburn All-American Roger McCreary drafted by Titans in 2nd round

ByNATHAN KING 7 minutes ago

Kenny Pickett's determination to improve and succeed stood out on his path to Pitt

Auburn's top prospect is off the board.

Cornerback Roger McCreary became the first Tiger taken in the 2022 NFL draft, going No. 35 overall in the second round to the Tennessee Titans on Friday evening.

A former three-star recruit who played his way into some first-round projections by coming back for his senior season, McCreary led the SEC with 14 pass breakups in the regular season — just one shy of tying Chris Davis' single-season Auburn record from 2013. McCreary was Pro Football Focus' highest-graded cornerback in the Power Five in the regular season and led the nation in forced incompletions (20).

"Roger was just dialed into everything,” cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett said of what Auburn’s secondary learned from McCreary. “Film study, he came up every day trying to get a jump on the opponent. You could see his film study translate over to the field. 

"You could just see how it all came together at the end."

The Mobile, Alabama, native was named a first team All-American last season by the AP and ESPN, and second team by several other outlets. CBS Sports ranked McCreary as the No. 5 cornerback prospect in this year's draft, behind names like Derek Stingley Jr. and Ahmad Gardner, who both went in the top five.

McCreary continues Auburn's recent line of NFL draft success at the cornerback position. Each of the program's No. 1 cornerbacks since the 2017 season — Carlton Davis, Jamel Dean, Noah Igbinoghene and now McCreary — have been taken in the top three rounds of the draft, with Igbinoghene a first-rounder in 2020, and Davis and McCreary going in the second round. Auburn has now had nine defensive backs drafted overall since 2016.

The only Auburn player selected in the draft. Putting AU at just ahead of Vanderbilt, with zero NFL draft selections.

This should settle the Gus discussion.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, meh130 said:

The only Auburn player selected in the draft. Putting AU at just ahead of Vanderbilt, with zero NFL draft selections.

Haven’t thought about it compared to Gus, but it’s gonna be hard to sell kids on coming to Auburn, when all your rivals are NFL factories and you’re putting one kid in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Lol yep. Those last few classes were rough, but a few of his recruits should get drafted next year. So even if Harsin doesnt pan out, definitely doesnt mean firing Gus was the wrong decision. Keep hiring until you hit on one 

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

The difference is at least Vandy can just blame recruiting. Our previous staff was bringing in top 10 classes and failing to develop them. Pitiful. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got guys like Justin lee on twitter bashing harsin for this and for McClain going undrafted, these guys shouldn't be writing for auburn smh

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Got guys like Justin lee on twitter bashing auburn for this and for McClain going undrafted, these guys shouldn't be writing for auburn 

I don’t entirely disagree. A player can transfer to another school and in one year increase their draft stock. Going by that same theory, a new staff should be able to come in and set kids up to get drafted, if they run a good successful system. Auburn failed these kids by not giving them coaching staffs that could develop them into NFL prospects.

Edited by AuCivilEng1

10 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t entirely disagree. A player can transfer to another school and in one year increase their draft stock. Going by that same theory, a new staff should be able to come in and set kids up to get drafted, if they run a good successful system. Auburn failed these kids by not giving them coaching staffs that could develop them in NFL prospects.

And mccreary was the highest rated corner in the fbs, his measurements and athleticism are what tanked him. On offense I have no clue how you can expect to have guys to just ball out with how our offensive recruiting especially how our OL has been. Harsin didn't have the benefit of a big body like SW and and all time speedster like Schwartz on O. Also, AU has 4 LBs drafted since 04, only one of them coming before the 5th round and that was dontarrious thomas

Edited by Maverick.AU

13 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t entirely disagree. A player can transfer to another school and in one year increase their draft stock. Going by that same theory, a new staff should be able to come in and set kids up to get drafted, if they run a good successful system. Auburn failed these kids by not giving them coaching staffs that could develop them into NFL prospects.

Well, that's fair, but I also think you can be a great college player but not project to the NFL. Zakoby for example. We could have hired Urban Meyer. Not like Urban can give him 2 inches or better speed. Pro sports are all about measurables and potential. Gus differed in his recruiting philosophy, or couldn't get the guys that project. I mean look at Moultry. He balled out of his mind this year and still no draft. Sometimes you're either projectable to the next level or not imo 

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

And mccreary was the highest rated corner in the fbs, his measurements and athleticism are what tanked him. On offense I have no clue how you can expect to have guys to just ball out with how our offensive recruiting especially OL has been. Harsin didn't have the benefit of a big body like SW and and all time speedster like Schwartz on O. Also, AU has 4 LBs drafted since 04, only one of them coming before the 5th round and that was dontarrious thomas

So Gus wasn’t recruiting athletes who had NFL size and speed, and when he did, he failed to develop them. Harsin’s staff did nothing to help them. In fact, Roger was projected to go first round last year. So Auburn holds a lot of that blame. A lot of talented kids come to Auburn and expect to get drafted. 

• Dislike 2

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

So Gus wasn’t recruiting athletes who had NFL size and speed, and when he did, he failed to develop them. Harsin’s staff did nothing to help them. In fact, Roger was projected to go first round last year. So Auburn holds a lot of that blame. A lot of talented kids come to Auburn and expect to get drafted. 

U can be projected to go first round and then not when u get to the combine. The measurements and drills make a huge difference there.  You aren't projected to go first round, then become the highest rated corner in the fbs and then fall to the second round bc the coach sucks. That's where I draw the line, them trying to blame this draft class on Harsin when Harsin hasn't even entered year 2 yet, I mean give the guy a chance sheesh

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Also 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Also 

Fair point. It’s very frustrating to look at that list of SEC draft picks and see Auburn second to last. It’s inexcusable. Let me reframe my statement, Auburn has failed it’s stakeholders/fans/alumni, etc. Auburn should be fielding teams with NFL talent in most positions and we aren’t. A ton of that blame is due to Auburn always lowballing their coaching searches and not taking the football program seriously. The one time Auburn has decided to shoot for the moon, we ended up with Bruce Pearl and look at what he’s doing. All of the other schools around us aren’t f**king around anymore. Even teams like South Carolina and Ole Miss are going big. This SEC expansion/super conference era will drop our football programs into the depths of hell if they Harsin fails and they don’t get it right on the next guy.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Fair point. It’s very frustrating to look at that list of SEC draft picks and see Auburn second to last. It’s inexcusable. Let me reframe my statement, Auburn has failed it’s stakeholders/fans/alumni, etc. Auburn should be fielding teams with NFL talent in most positions and we aren’t. A ton of that blame is due to Auburn always lowballing their coaching searches and not taking the football program seriously. The one time Auburn has decided to shoot for the moon, we ended up with Bruce Pearl and look at what he’s doing. All of the other schools around us aren’t f**king around anymore. Even teams like South Carolina and Ole Miss are going big. This SEC expansion/super conference era will drop our football programs into the depths of hell if they Harsin fails and they don’t get it right on the next guy.

Don't get me wrong, it's frustrating, but a hole was dug here and whether he gets out of it or not, we need to give him a chance to try. I just hate people spewing that kind of stuff that write about auburn when things have actually been taking a positive turn as of late 

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Don't get me wrong, it's frustrating, but a hole was dug here and whether he gets out of it or not, we need to give him a chance to try. I just hate people spewing that kind of stuff that write about auburn when things have actually been taking a positive turn as of late 

I’m not counting anything as a positive turn until I see results. I still have a very uneasy feeling about the direction the football program is heading. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I just can’t see Harsin being able to compete with the resources of Saban,Kirby,and Jimbo. These are 3 football programs in their absolute prime and it’s going to take a great coach and commited athletic department to compete with them. And I see neither, so far.

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m not counting anything as a positive turn until I see results. I still have a very uneasy feeling about the direction the football program is heading. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I just can’t see Harsin being able to compete with the resources of Saban,Kirby,and Jimbo. These are 3 football programs in their absolute prime and it’s going to take a great coach and commited athletic department to compete with them. And I see neither, so far.

Well we have to give the guy more than 2 years to do so, and I differ from u, I've read things and seen things and have optimism, we will see how it translates come fall 

Next year won’t be too much better either. Tank and Wooden should go pretty early. If Hall has a good year, maybe he’ll go higher than anticipated.
But after that it’s gone be crickets