Auburn and the NFL draft

Several years ago when Kirby got the Georgia job, that year UGA only had 1 player drafted but there were around 20 players from Georgia that played at other schools being drafted. Kirby said for UGA to improve, they needed to keep those players home....it seemed to work with the draft they had this year and now we only had 1 player selected...I hope in a few years we'll be able to boast having the year that UGA had. 

Love the optimism but Auburn has way to many things going against them. Just one small example. One is a state school the other one isnt. Auburn can improve but to those type of numbers it’s gonna take a lot .

Edited by e808

I think we're also seeing part of the reason that Auburn had the record that it did last year. Not many teams in the SEC will win by only putting 1 guy in the draft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I think we're also seeing part of the reason that Auburn had the record that it did last year. Not many teams in the SEC will win by only putting 1 guy in the draft.

Also interesting that Big Kat, Truesdell, and Newkirk went undrafted as well. Player development over the past few seasons has been bad. It’s hard to be a consistent winner and to sell a program with that kind of reputation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am a little shocked to see Smoke was not drafted in any round.

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am a little shocked to see Smoke was not drafted in any round.

I was honestly more shocked that McClain went undrafted.

Getting players drafted sells a program, obviously it's not a selling point our current coaches can use in their arsenal.  Hoping for improvement soon. 

• Like 1

Isn’t this what everyone complained about with Gus?  Hopefully Auburn gives Harsin enough time to bring in players and build a team (3 seasons) before they try to pull the rug out and start over.  

24 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Isn’t this what everyone complained about with Gus?

Indeed.

There were a lot of other things, but we definitely complained about this thing, too. 

14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Also interesting that Big Kat, Truesdell, and Newkirk went undrafted as well. Player development over the past few seasons has been bad. It’s hard to be a consistent winner and to sell a program with that kind of reputation. 

Very unshocking. Most overrated player that played significant snaps at AU in the last 15 years. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

The biggest what if in auburn history …getting CKS when we had the chance..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Several years ago when Kirby got the Georgia job, that year UGA only had 1 player drafted but there were around 20 players from Georgia that played at other schools being drafted. Kirby said for UGA to improve, they needed to keep those players home....it seemed to work with the draft they had this year and now we only had 1 player selected...I hope in a few years we'll be able to boast having the year that UGA had. 

I'd have been proud if we'd had same # drafted as Tenn or even Kentucky this year.  Of 65 SEC players drafted we had 1 flipping player!  The only SEC team worse is Vandy.  🤬

UGA(15)  LSU(10)  UA(7)  OM(6)  UT(5) 1st yr coach,  aTm(4)  UK(4)  USC(3) 1st yr coach,  UF(3)  Arky(3)  MSU(2)  Mizz(2)  AU(1) 1st yr coach, Vandy(0) 1st yr coach

Edited by JerryAU

Looking at the total picture I am not putting to much stock into it because there were some that chose to come back and possibly could have been drafted. I will wait for next year because thats when alot of the guys have no choice but to move on and let’s see what happens

• Like 1

Just some food for thought Justyn Ross didn’t get drafted.

Edited by e808

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

Just some food for thought Justyn Ross didn’t get drafted.

Health issues suck. 

Elite, elite, elite athlete. His body just let him down. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Health issues suck. 

Elite, elite, elite athlete. His body just let him down. 

IMO KC made out. I would have taken him over some of the other receivers based on ceiling. Guess that’s why I am not a GM 😂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

I was honestly more shocked that McClain went undrafted.

he's barely 6' and slow for a smaller LB.  Those measurables really hurt and his film isn't amazing for ppl to disregard them.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him land on a team and earn a spot for a couple years while he's "cheap"

• Like 2

When Kirby was hired at uga I posted how this was going hurt us, even more so than saban at bammer and people laughed at me......

Also told people how McClain and most of the " favorites" wouldn't even start at the top schools. People complained about that defense especially and we were in our first year and Mason was playing guys who were too small and lacked talent.....and still had us playing decent.

But he didn't blitz enough 😂. People are going to see.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e808 said:

Looking at the total picture I am not putting to much stock into it because there were some that chose to come back and possibly could have been drafted. I will wait for next year because thats when alot of the guys have no choice but to move on and let’s see what happens

They won’t go higher than the 4th round. Not hating on them but it is what it is. Why they went back. Gus sucks and sucked. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

The biggest what if in auburn history …getting CKS when we had the chance..

Oh, we can still get him if wanted. 

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Oh, we can still get him if wanted. 

I think he meant Kirby Smart instead of Kevin  Steele. I don’t think there is a chance for Kirby

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

I think he meant Kirby Smart instead of Kevin  Steele. I don’t think there is a chance for Kirby

Your probably correct on that. My mistake.

• Like 2

We had a couple guys who would have been drafted but returned for another year. Next year we’ll have 5-6 drafted possibly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 10:59 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus sucked all the way around. 

No Doubt!!!!!