Give predictions for 2022

aubiefifty

I’m thinking 5-7.  I’d love to expect more, but I just can’t.

I think we lose to both MS teams and Arky.  The two obvious Ls.  
PennSt will beat us again and I’m not sure we will beat Mizzou.

I really hate it, but I just don’t think we have what it takes to be much better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm pretty consistent.  I thought Bo could get better and he eventually did in his final 4 games or so.  I'm not sure he ever had a 4 game span like his last 4 games, which even included a down game vs A&M.  I think his Comp% was near 70 and close to avg 300yds.

I think Calzada was bad, but I still think he can get better.  He had no experience last and year and similar to TJ was thrusted into action taking over for a hurt QB.

Calzada has a big arm.  He's a legit threat to throw it down field and take the top off a defense.  He's actually good at it too and had one of the better catch% over 25 yards.  That isn't something we've had in a while.  How many times did Bo/TJ overthrow or off target throw a WR running wide open down the field?  That could be a huge benefit.  His biggest negative is accuracy and lack of touch.  Hopefully the later can be improved on.  Going from 0 starts to 12 heading into a season is a benefit.  I wish he was fully able to go through spring here.

I agree you have been pretty consistent on your criticisms of ZC's play/skill. I have been pretty consistent on disagreeing lol. This was one of the better post you have made in regards to the subject IMO.  I think ZC is more accurate than BO on most throws. Not only downfield. Again, his stats don't tell the full story. He is unquestionably better on the deep ball which is the one thing we have been missing for some years. I honestly believe in my soul that last year we likely win 10 games with ZC playing at the same level he did last season. On the flip side of that coin, I also think we win 9 if Bo doesn't get hurt. I think ZC wins the PSU game. The TD passes were there to be made. 

On the subject of whether or not Bo was a detrimental loss or not...I think there are other things to look at. On the surface, yes. He was. Losing a 3 yr srtarting QB is always a loss no matter how you shake it...and I was very critical of Bo. Now, with bringing ZC in...I think it makes it a net zero in the gain/loss column..

• Like 2

well what about harsins claim that we will be much better than folks think? does anyone know? i have no clue as i am still trying to learn him some so to speak.

13 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I really hate it, but I just don’t think we have what it takes to be much better.

If we lose to mizzou then we’re looking at 3-4 wins tops…that’s when the wheels fall off in subsequent weeks.  Those boosters will start having anti-Harsin news articles written and, with very little goodwill built up, he gets run out of town after UGA.  Absolutely a must win game or it’s a ‘98 / ‘12 type year.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

K.

There is something to be said for QB moxy..Moxy doesn't show up on a stat sheet.  Although it's hard to define, I know it when I see it.. Bo would show glimpses, but never consistent. Calzada may have it. Though I wasn't thrilled he was brought in. Unless a QB is ultra talented.  Give me one with some moxy and I will won a bunch of games with him

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

There is something to be said for QB moxy..Moxy doesn't show up on a stat sheet.  Although it's hard to define, I know it when I see it.. Bo would show glimpses, but never consistent. Calzada may have it. Though I wasn't thrilled he was brought in. Unless a QB is ultra talented.  Give me one with some moxy and I will won a bunch of games with him

Give a QB that's cool under pressure and can make plays when he's under pressure.  One that doesn't panic and show a defense how "shook" he is and doesn't make stupid decisions trying to force things. 

Of course with a solid oline, a QB will have a comfort feeling and he'll look a whole lot better managing the game plan.  We haven't had the luxury of a stout online in years and it looks like the new crew isn't doing much to help remedy that deficiency. 

2 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I’m pulling for TJ to step up and be the

guy because I think He’s got the intangibles. 

In what speed?  Size?  Flexiblity?  Evasiveness?  Accuracy?  Ease of movement?  Ability to audible?  Experience in the SEC? 

I'm not trying to be an ass, but what intangibles did you see last year or even in the spring scrimmage? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

If we lose to mizzou then we’re looking at 3-4 wins tops…that’s when the wheels fall off in subsequent weeks.  Those boosters will start having anti-Harsin news articles written and, with very little goodwill built up, he gets run out of town after UGA.  Absolutely a must win game or it’s a ‘98 / ‘12 type year.

On paper Georgia should destroy Auburn but I think Kirby has some respect for us more than say Florida or UT. It will be 2020 all over again. Offense does absolutely nothing and Georgia just sits on it and smothers us.

Georgia 28

Auburn 10

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Calzada only played 11 games vs Bo's 10.  So just on game.  Calzada's "12th game" was 1 attempt vs Kent State.

17TDs > 11TDS.  That's kinda important for a QB.  One can actually throw down field well.  Bo also had 26 starts under his belt, Calzada had 0.  They aren't that far off.

Auburn fans acting like we lost a Heisman winner and replaced him with a bum is ridiculous.  We lost a below average QB with 38 starts and replaced him with a below average QB with 10 starts. 

Bo Nix could turn nothing into something. THAT is what we're losing this year. 

We have the same OL. We're likely going to have the same frustrations with the run game. What we won't have is a guy who can pick up hard yards and occasionally catch a defense with their pants down throwing on the run. That guy is not on the roster and that guy would make a difference this season. So you are right to say Bo Nix was not a great QB, but you are wrong in saying Calzada is a wash. Calzada - should he actually win the job - is going to be on his rear end a lot this season where Nix could have picked up yards. Nix left, we play the cards we have. But Nix is the reason last season wasn't worse than it actually was. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

We have the same OL. We're likely going to have the same frustrations with the run game. What we won't have is a guy who can pick up hard yards and occasionally catch a defense with their pants down throwing on the run. That guy is not on the roster and that guy would make a difference this season. So you are right to say Bo Nix was not a great QB, but you are wrong in saying Calzada is a wash. Calzada - should he actually win the job - is going to be on his rear end a lot this season where Nix could have picked up yards. Nix left, we play the cards we have. But Nix is the reason last season wasn't worse than it actually was. 

I would add that Calzada wasn’t even the starter last year and it seemed Jimbo couldn’t get another quarterback fast enough to replace him. 

39 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

He also had a propensity for turning something into nothing, although, on balance, his efforts to make plays with his feet were more a strength than a weakness.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm guilty of doing it myself, but I just think it's hard to compare Nix and Calzada. Different QB's with skillsets for different systems. Both probably transferring into systems that fit them better to coaches that mesh better with them.

In terms of Calzada, the dude has all the physical tools you want for a pro-style QB. 6'4, absolute rocket on that arm, gunslinger mentality. He is also tough and will stand in and deliver. Much better personality fit for Harsin as well as he seems pretty composed and stoic, with a more quiet confidence.

Where he seems to struggle is with touch, accuracy, and decision making. His foot work also looks a little weird at times. All in all he is obviously not a star, at least right now, but he is a game manager that I don't think loses you many, if any, games. And that's assuming he doesn't improve at all under Harsin in his areas of weakness. Not great, but we'll see how he progresses come fall

• Like 2

5-7 no bowl. But gosh I hope I am wrong.

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Bo is not a major loss. 

Nonsense. We were 6-3 with a healthy Bo Nix. 0-4 without him. Unless Griener wrestles the wheel away from older guys, we are much worse off at QB.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Rednilla

Here's what I wrote: "It's too early to predict a record with any certainty."

Here's your blatant mis-quote: "Mikey: It's too early to predict a record, so let me go ahead and predict a crappy record anyway."

If you got passing grades at AU in your English classes, you should mail your diploma back because you obviously failed one or more required courses. Did you pay Jeff Burger to sneak into class and take exams for you?

Edited by Mikey
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, AUatHeart said:

Wow.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

@Rednilla

Here's what I wrote: "It's too early to predict a record with any certainty."

Here's your blatant mis-quote: "Mikey: It's too early to predict a record, so let me go ahead and predict a crappy record anyway."

If you got passing grades at AU in your English classes, you should mail your diploma back because you obviously failed one or more required courses. Did you pay Jeff Burger to sneak into class and take exams for you?

Why do you constantly insult other posters when making your points? You could have gotten all of those points across without the unnecessary unpleasantness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nonsense. We were 6-3 with a healthy Bo Nix. 0-4 without him. Unless Griener wrestles the wheel away from older guys, we are much worse off at QB.

Better choice of words is he's not some amazing player ppl are making him out to be and he's replaceable. 

Him and Calzada were 10/11th in the SEC in terms of QB rating. We swapped out meh with meh.

I think both can be better than what they showed last year and both can still improve 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Didba said:

Why do you constantly insult other posters when making your points? You could have gotten all of those points across without the unnecessary unpleasantness.

i have seen several folks just pound away at mikey and i have yet to see anyone take up for him when that happens. my guess is he got tired of decided to give back what they give to him? and they have insulted the hell out of him because they do not like his opinions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Didba said:

Because in this case he was unethical and mis quoted me. Accurate quote=no harsh words. Deliberate mis quote earns calling out.

In other words, you reap what you sew.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

It would be somthing if Ashford ends up beating out Finley and Calzada.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ashford won the job this coming season. I think Geriner has a higher ceiling but he may need a year to mature. I think both Ashford and Griener are better choices than the other two in the long run. Short term? I'll leave that to the coaches! :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

It would be somthing if Ashford ends up beating out Finley and Calzada.

He certainly played better than Finley in A day game. We haven’t seen Calzada yet so noone knows about him. Just guessing on his play at aTm. Thats would be the same as judging Finley only on hos play at LSU. I think Calzada is better than that but won’t know till we see him.

• Like 3