NIL Coming Under Scrutiny

toddc

21 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I saw the average income for 2023 classes on On3 yesterday…it’s wonderful news for Auburn that regulation is coming, that’s all I can say lol

We and 93% of the sport are out of our leagues 

What was this?

18 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I saw the average income for 2023 classes on On3 yesterday…it’s wonderful news for Auburn that regulation is coming, that’s all I can say lol

I knew we’d be. How tf is Auburn supposed to compete with USC, Miami, etc in a situation where LOCAL businesses can sign and pay athletes to endorsement deals. And then you have your Alabama, Texas, Georgia who don’t have huge local markets, but they are national brands with top level athletes. This whole thing was bound to screw programs like Auburn over. Sure we can offer more than Libery and LA Tech, but we can’t compete with the people we have to compete against to win championships.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 8:34 AM, Mikey said:

Look at the bama QB last year in 7 figures.  Why waste a schollie on him.  He can afford school now without a problem.

And he should have to pay his way with that kind of money rolling in! They all should that have gotten outrageous NIL money deals.

4 minutes ago, cctiger said:

And he should have to pay his way with that kind of money rolling in! They all should that have gotten outrageous NIL money deals.

I don't know the answer, but right now, when they start paying their own way, that opens another schollie spot for a lesser known talent.  Now you are back to Bear's 125 scholarships to keep the talent out of other schools.

Might just have to come up with a true roster limit and practice team limit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's literally income.  Of course they will have to pay taxes.  that's nothing new

And some NIL collective have already set up payment plans to coincide with tax season so that athletes are blindsided having to pay a chunk to Uncle Sam in April every year.  :jossun:

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The NCAA drug their feet for years, kicked the can down the road as States passed laws for NIL.  They wasted tons of man hours trying to create an alternative to NIL.  They fought to the dead in the courts and the SCOTUS won rendering their plans null & void, they had to scrap their plan.  They have no leverage with NIL member institutions know it - that's why they've pushed Emmert out and created the Transformation Committee to make broad rule changes, the committee is headed by Sankey and OSU's AD. 

Greg Sankey is in DC today with the PAC12 Commissioner meeting with legislators to discuss federal regulation and plead with them to enact laws to reign what they think NIL has become.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I don't know the answer, but right now, when they start paying their own way, that opens another schollie spot for a lesser known talent.  Now you are back to Bear's 125 scholarships to keep the talent out of other schools.

I thought they already had that to control thise states that offered schollys based on HS grades (georgia has that I believe).

On 5/3/2022 at 6:24 PM, toddc said:

Most important piece for me that can fix a lot of the problems.

How do you regulate this?   Who is to stop a money man from finding out who a school is recruiting and getting the word to that recruit, and then letting that recruit know that if you sign you will get this amount of money once you step foot on campus?  Don’t know how to stop this from happening 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I understand the attraction to “ the way it has been for a long time”. If “the powers that be” would have had the intestinal fortitude to “really” have players future, health, and general well being as the primary concern, this “wild wild west” might have looked much different. Obviously baby step moves in right direction would have been better, but they (PTB) didn’t so flood gates open. Eventually things will normalize but will never go back the way it was, IMO.

I’ve got no problem with athletes receiving subsidies and I realize that it will never be the way that it was, but these guys already had it better than most mainstream college students.  IMO the current problem with NIL is that there are no controls in place so the sky’s the limit, and I’m not certain that it can be legally regulated. 

• Like 3

On 5/3/2022 at 11:57 PM, Mikey said:

These "college leaders" better be aware of the legal rulings. There is next to nothing they can do about any of this without breaking the law themselves.

What the hell did anybody expect when this can of worms was opened? Most expected an un controllable mess and that's exactly what we have today.

You and I predicted this and got ridiculed by some on here

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

That is a good step forward, although I wish it would be expanded a tad to also relate to family members, and former coaches/trainers of the player as well.

Sanctioned? What does sanctioned mean? They'll get a nasty letter telling them to be less obvious with what they are going to do anyway?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, SphyNxXx said:

TAMU about to get death penalty then.

They may get slapped pretty hard.  aTm's are still under their 2 yr probation for recruiting violations from '20, when Jimbo served his 6 months show cause.  They'll still be considered in the "window" if they were caught in this NIL stuff. 

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

That is a good step forward, although I wish it would be expanded a tad to also relate to family members, and former coaches/trainers of the player as well.

The NCAA has no authority to reach that far and never will.  They can't control booster, that's why they are laying oversight on each member institution.  A university can't even monitor what their own coaches are doing under the table and behind the scenes let alone monitor what hundreds of boosters & financial donors are doing. 

Will Wade lost his job and will have a +10 yr show cause on his head and LSU will suffer greatly for what he was doing behind the scenes.  Auburn has to suffer for Chuck Persons under the table activities.  Neither university had knowledge of the phone calls, text messages or money transactions that took place, yet the universities suffer all the same. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Almost like the scholarship limit was created because of that problem 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

An athlete's eligibility wouldn't be jeopardized (the only leverage the NCAA has over a student-athlete) but they'd be mandated to tattle-tell on the NIL collective that pays them huge $$?   Good luck NCAA. 

NCAA investigations move at a glacial pace, that player is far gone by the time they'd have to fess up that an NIL representative  negotiated a deal with them during their recruitment. 

Edited by JerryAU

23 hours ago, aubaseball said:

How do you regulate this?   Who is to stop a money man from finding out who a school is recruiting and getting the word to that recruit, and then letting that recruit know that if you sign you will get this amount of money once you step foot on campus?  Don’t know how to stop this from happening 

I just assumed that this is the game now.  

Those who want to play, pay.

Those who don't will have to find or form another league

19 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Way to go NCAA! /sarc.

That's just a fart in a wind storm.

Short of drastic changes, seems like you could just make a rule that says you cannot negotiate (hard to monitor) or get any NIL money until you have been at your school for one full year or played X number of snaps.

That won't solve all the problems, but it will at least slow some of the transfer bleeding some of the smaller schools are experiencing with their better players.

What is happening now isn't sustainable with the NIL/transfer portal combo.

4 hours ago, TheDob06 said:

Short of drastic changes, seems like you could just make a rule that says you cannot negotiate (hard to monitor) or get any NIL money until you have been at your school for one full year or played X number of snaps.

That won't solve all the problems, but it will at least slow some of the transfer bleeding some of the smaller schools are experiencing with their better players.

That’s probably illegal.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

That’s probably illegal.

There's no probably to it. According to the courts, a players NIL is his to sell, barter or whatever he/she chooses and the school has no say in the matter. Since the school has no say, the NCAA doesn't either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheDob06 said:

If the NCAA was even a but proactive and did this or even you couldn't negotiate NIL with boosters or booster aligned groups until you enroll in school this whole mess would have been avoided