toughest schedule in country

aubiefifty

I tend to believe the stiff competition is a major reason while players choose these schools. In fact , D.K. Said as much when he was with Shannon Sharpe. The high competitiveness makes the transition to the pros smoother. Believe it or not , competitors do like going against elite competition. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

AU needs to get better in every possible area. Couldn’t agree more with this. The schedule has zero to do with it. This conference is a bloodbath and has been for well over a decade. Every year no matter what side you play on is strong. Figure it out AU..

I'm not saying the schedule wouldn't still be brutal if I had it my way. But it would no longer be uniquely so--right now, there is clearly a disparity between SoS in the league, and has been since 2014. Ole Miss gets to play Vanderbilt every freaking year and gets to go six years without Georgia. If we have to play the Axis of Evil every year, many more teams should as well.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AUwent said:

I'm not saying the schedule wouldn't still be brutal if I had it my way. But it would no longer be uniquely so--right now, there is clearly a disparity between SoS in the league, and has been since 2014. Ole Miss gets to play Vanderbilt every freaking year and gets to go six years without Georgia. If we have to play the Axis of Evil every year, many more teams should as well.

Good points here . Our biggest rivals are juggernauts currently and that sucks lol. I understand what you are saying. It does seem in the past AU competed much more consistently than it does now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Good points here . Our biggest rivals are juggernauts currently and that sucks lol. I understand what you are saying. It does seem in the past AU competed much more consistently than it does now. 

I guess my point is that at no point in history have the Two Towers been collectively stronger. What worked for us in the past may not work for us in the present and future. Clinging to the way it was has the potential to be very harmful to our status as a program. Yes I know Dinky will eventually retire but we can't assume that's going to happen before 2030.

I would be borderline okay with simply going east with Alabama. Only going to/hosting west teams once every eight years would suck and the east would still be stronger, but somehow knowing Florida would have to play them both too makes me feel that much better.

Edited by AUwent

On 5/4/2022 at 6:46 PM, AUwent said:

image.jpeg

If they could just figure out how to do a conference championship under this format, it would be as near-perfect a setup as you could ask for.

Yes it is near perfect and is identical to what some of us proposed on here for over a year. Glad to see it's gaining traction. By the way, the 4 pod, 3+6 schedule gives you a 2 year rotation through the conference along with the 4 year hosting feature .

• Like 1

The successful formula with few exceptions for the last 50 years has been beat a couple highly publicized (at the time) top tier opponents, beat a smattering of cupcakes (ideally on homecoming or weekend before a major game), fill the rest of the schedule with mediocre schools the media constantly worship (UCLA, Va Tech, Miami, TX Tech, etc) AND have local media that can wire team propaganda to the rest of the country (we aint got that). If we had a "Gainesville Sun" to offset Herbstreit's Citadel b.s. in 2004 we might have played USC.

Edited by aucanucktiger
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 2:29 PM, IronMan70 said:

Yes it is near perfect and is identical to what some of us proposed on here for over a year. Glad to see it's gaining traction. By the way, the 4 pod, 3+6 schedule gives you a 2 year rotation through the conference along with the 4 year hosting feature .

But, I'm surprised they were fairly silent on how the SEC championship would work. I would gladly go back to only 11 guaranteed regular season games (the game being deleted would be a cupcake) to accommodate for a conference semifinal. I know there's no way in Tuscaloosa the PTB will let that happen, even if the games being lost are all cupcakes.

Edited by AUwent

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

But, I'm surprised they were fairly silent on how the SEC championship would work. I would gladly go back to only 11 guaranteed regular season games (the game being deleted would be a cupcake) to accommodate for a conference semifinal. I know there's no way in Tuscaloosa that'll happen though.

That would work.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 6:46 PM, AUwent said:

image.jpeg

If they could just figure out how to do a conference championship under this format, it would be as near-perfect a setup as you could ask for.

They would need to keep a permanent rival for every team from a different pod then it would be a pretty good plan. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 6:18 PM, AUwent said:

We couldn't even get a guy from UL-Lafayette or a defensive coordinator (both of whom took HC jobs a year later, need I remind you).

Exactly how sure are you that we made an offer to either one? o.0

11 hours ago, woodford said:

They would need to keep a permanent rival for every team from a different pod then it would be a pretty good plan. 

Would much prefer alternating between everyone outside the pod, but they may have to to feasibly have a conference championship.

Edited by AUwent

14 hours ago, AUwent said:

Would much prefer alternating between everyone outside the pod, but they may have to to feasibly have a conference championship.

I don’t want to see tradition traded in for money but that’s just me. It would be very sad to see TDSOR ended over this nonsense. 

19 minutes ago, woodford said:

I don’t want to see tradition traded in for money but that’s just me. It would be very sad to see TDSOR ended over this nonsense. 

You must already be making a living. No-one should be “required” to work as much as these kids do and not be a part of the “free market” system everyone else is a part of.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

You must already be making a living. No-one should be “required” to work as much as these kids do and not be a part of the “free market” system everyone else is a part of.

I don’t think you understand what I’m arguing. I’m not talking about NIL. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, woodford said:

What if that money came from us being better positioned to win a championship because of finally not having to play a much tougher schedule than everyone else in the league? Hmm?

Recruits today were still in diapers the last time that series was competitive. Alternating between them and Florida is tradition enough, thank you very much.

"We just gotta get better!" wow, why didn't everyone else in the nation think of that idea? Dinky and the Bowl(Cut) are praying every night that secret doesn't get out!

Getting better requires attracting the right coaches. And our uniquely brutal schedule is very possibly an albatross around our neck in the coaching market.

Also, on a somewhat related, somewhat unrelated note, I completely agree with this article:
https://saturdayblitz.com/2022/05/11/the-college-football-playoff-must-die/?fbclid=IwAR3M8YPTYOhN3YVV63g6PS2tSTBbBvSL3S2yO-iEpb8EBOlou1makE0E7jA

Edited by AUwent

22 hours ago, AUwent said:

What if that money came from us being better positioned to win a championship because of finally not having to play a much tougher schedule than everyone else in the league? Hmm?

Recruits today were still in diapers the last time that series was competitive. Alternating between them and Florida is tradition enough, thank you very much.

"We just gotta get better!" wow, why didn't everyone else in the nation think of that idea? Dinky and the Bowl(Cut) are praying every night that secret doesn't get out!

Getting better requires attracting the right coaches. And our uniquely brutal schedule is very possibly an albatross around our neck in the coaching market.

Also, on a somewhat related, somewhat unrelated note, I completely agree with this article:
https://saturdayblitz.com/2022/05/11/the-college-football-playoff-must-die/?fbclid=IwAR3M8YPTYOhN3YVV63g6PS2tSTBbBvSL3S2yO-iEpb8EBOlou1makE0E7jA

Not in the slightest lol

Getting the right coaches is difficult when you have a history of micromanaging boosters trying to run your program + Bama propaganda that exaggerates the truth I just laid out. Coaches want an easier schedule, but their value goes through the roof when they can navigate a tough schedule and win championships.

If someone (even Harsin) came to Auburn and showed they could compete AND win against Alabama and Georgia AND win a championship then their options are quite endless. Auburn would be a dream destination for someone who is fiercely competitive and wants to make a name for themselves and can see the massive upside of winning at Auburn. Harsin might be that guy, but he's not cutting on the recruiting trail yet.

21 minutes ago, woodford said:

Not in the slightest lol

Getting the right coaches is difficult when you have a history of micromanaging boosters trying to run your program + Bama propaganda that exaggerates the truth I just laid out. Coaches want an easier schedule, but their value goes through the roof when they can navigate a tough schedule and win championships.

If someone (even Harsin) came to Auburn and showed they could compete AND win against Alabama and Georgia AND win a championship then their options are quite endless. Auburn would be a dream destination for someone who is fiercely competitive and wants to make a name for themselves and can see the massive upside of winning at Auburn. Harsin might be that guy, but he's not cutting on the recruiting trail yet.

We’ve had some fantastic games with Florida. In the 80s, 90s and early aughts they were probably just as if not bigger a rivalry than Georgia. They’ll do the job just fine.

Well, you’re absolutely correct that CBH isn’t cutting it on the recruiting trail. Your argument about UAT propaganda just reinforces mine.

Furthermore, you’re saying that if a coach can win here, that makes his stock super high for other destinations?  Yeah, that speaks volumes about us and not in a good way. That’s how we got stuck with the buyout from hell. We would’ve gotten blasted if we hadn’t given CGM whatever he wanted following those wins over the Two Towers. Doesn’t matter how the season finished, we’d better be grateful for 10 wins!

Edited by AUwent

48 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We’ve had some fantastic games with Florida. In the 80s, 90s and early aughts they were probably just as if not bigger a rivalry than Georgia.

It was a good rivalry but it was not close to uga I would put utk and uf on the same level back in the 70's,80's and 90's

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

It was a good rivalry but it was not close to uga I would put utk and uf on the same level back in the 70's,80's and 90's

Fair. Look, I know breaking tradition is hard. But the realities of the current landscape in the SEC suggest that in this case, it may be necessary. I just want what's best for Auburn and at this point, with both UAT and UGA where they are, it appears like holding on to the past is going to be detrimental to our program. Do you all want a higher ceiling than what we had under Gus, or do you want tradition? Because it's increasingly looking like we can't have both--from where we stand right now, I will be very surprised if we beat UGA at all this decade.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AUwent said:

Fair. Look, I know breaking tradition is hard. But the realities of the current landscape in the SEC suggest that in this case, it may be necessary. I just want what's best for Auburn and at this point, with both UAT and UGA where they are, it appears like holding on to the past is going to be detrimental to our program. Do you all want a higher ceiling than what we had under Gus, or do you want tradition? Because it's increasingly looking like we can't have both--from where we stand right now, I will be very surprised if we beat UGA at all this decade.

We'll be in a Super Conference/League soon enough so who knows who we'll be playing.. I'm not stuck on all the tradition/rivalries of teams so much I was just saying UF was never close to uga as a rivalry,,,,,,that's all

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 7:29 AM, augolf1716 said:

We'll be in a Super Conference/League soon enough so who knows who we'll be playing.. I'm not stuck on all the tradition/rivalries of teams so much I was just saying UF was never close to uga as a rivalry,,,,,,that's all

Those Florida games in the eighties had some really obnoxious Florida fans when we played in Auburn. Those were some great games but not a rivalry like Georgia and others.

• Like 1

Alright, I'm trying to put together a "permanent opponent from each pod" format. Due to the need to rotate through everybody in a relatively short amount of time and to have (relatively) controversy-free tiebreakers for a conference championship format (and because people are so gung-ho about protecting two certain rivalries), this is likely the most realistic format.

I have been able to complete pairings for Pod A (with B, C, and D), plus Texas-Texas A&M, so that's eleven pairings to go. My main priority is balance in toughness, my secondary priority is respect to tradition.

AB
Florida-Alabama
Georgia-Auburn
Kentucky-Tennessee
South Carolina-Vanderbilt

AC
Florida-Mississippi State
Georgia-Louisiana State
Kentucky-Mississippi
South Carolina-Texas A&M

AD
Florida-Arkansas
Georgia-Texas
Kentucky-Oklahoma
South Carolina-Missouri

BC
Alabama-?
Auburn-?
Tennessee-?
Vanderbilt-?

BD
Alabama-?
Auburn-?
Tennessee-?
Vanderbilt-?

CD
Louisiana State-?
Mississippi-?
Mississippi State-?
Texas A&M-Texas

Six permanent opponents (thus far, with pod A's completed):

Alabama: Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, ?, ?

Arkansas: Florida, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, ?, ?

Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, ?, ?

Florida: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi State, South Carolina

Georgia: Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana State, South Carolina, Texas

Kentucky: Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee

Louisiana State: Georgia, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, ?, ?

Mississippi: Kentucky, Louisiana State, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, ?, ?

Mississippi State: Florida, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Texas A&M, ?, ?

Missouri: Arkansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, ?, ?

Oklahoma: Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Texas, ?, ?

South Carolina: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt

Tennessee: Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, ?, ?

Texas: Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, ?, ?

Texas A&M: Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Texas, ?

Vanderbilt: Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina, Tennessee, ?, ?

Edited by AUwent

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Those Florida games in the eighties had some really obnoxious Florida fans when we played in Auburn. Those were some great games but not a rivalry like Georgia and others.

Obnoxious in Auburn man if you went to the swamp it was war getting out of the stadium at times

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Obnoxious in Auburn man if you went to the swamp it was war getting out of the stadium at times

Never had the chance but I can imagine .