Jesse Newell no longer an AP voter

Auburn basketball fans happy Jesse Newell is no longer an AP voter

Andrew Hughes
3-4 minutes

Auburn basketball fans celebrated Jesse Newell moving on from his job as an AP voter. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Auburn basketball fans celebrated Jesse Newell moving on from his job as an AP voter. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Auburn basketball fans couldn’t be happier about the promotion of a college basketball writer from the Kansas City Star to the role of covering the Chiefs.

“Why would Tiger fans give a flying hoot about someone on a beat over 800 miles away from the Plains?”, you might ask.

Well, Jesse Newell isn’t just any random college basketball writer. He is, in essence, public enemy No. 1 to Auburn basketball and ‘The Jungle’. During the 2021-22 season, he deliberately followed the KenPom rankings and admitted he doesn’t watch the games.

The announcement gave the Auburn family every reason to take the biggest sigh of relief:

Fly War Eagle wishes you luck on your new venture Mr. Newell. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out of the NCAAB beat.

After I figured out that he does the same exact thing every week, I didn't care as much. I don't think he deserved a vote, though, since he basically copied and pasted Kenpom.

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Jesse Newell no longer an AP voter