Al Borges says Tigers should be 2004 national champs

aubiefifty

There is a simple and easy solution. All we have to do is claim it. #done

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 5/6/2022 at 1:06 PM, Rednilla said:

I think we would have beaten USC, personally, but it would have been close. Both teams had a pair of first round running backs, as well as a first round quarterback. Ultimately, I give it to that 04 defense of ours, which was superb, as the deciding factor.

BTW, seems like I remember something about one of VA Tech's losses being to USC, and how Tech came close to beating them even without a couple of big pieces they had back in place by the time we played them in the bowl game. I don't feel like doing the research to back that up, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly.

Tech lost the first game of the season to USC, 24-13.

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

Tech lost the first game of the season to USC, 24-13.

Yeah, and there was something to do with a pick 6 getting called back, and USC subsequently scoring, effecting a 14 point swing...or something like that. It was a hard fought game one way or the other, despite VT not having a couple of starters playing that game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, and there was something to do with a pick 6 getting called back, and USC subsequently scoring, effecting a 14 point swing...or something like that. It was a hard fought game one way or the other, despite VT not having a couple of starters playing that game.

Beamer's teams ALWAYS played everyone tough.

Auburn should have beaten them worse in the Sugar Bowl, but that group just wouldn't give up and played damn hard.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mikey said:

Many writers tend to forget that AU cornerback Carlos Rogers was also a 1st round NFL pick. Four 1st round picks off one team!

That championship paring was rigged from September on, it's what the media wanted and it's what they got. I was talking to some Tennessee fans before the SEC game in Atlanta. They asked if Auburn was going to try to pour it on because of the situation. My reply was that AU could win 60-0 and it wouldn't matter. Unless Okie lost, Okie was going to be in the BCS game.

I think AU would have beaten Oklahoma handily. USC/AU would have been a dogfight!

That is why I have always hated Polls that early in the season. The first polls shouldn't come out until week 8. Because not many voters will drop a team that is winning. 

I honestly think that was one of the greatest teams, not just AU teams, but greatest teams in history. AUmazing Defense, 3 1st round picks in the offensive backfield alone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That is why I have always hated Polls that early in the season. The first polls shouldn't come out until week 8. Because not many voters will drop a team that is winning. 

I honestly think that was one of the greatest teams, not just AU teams, but greatest teams in history. AUmazing Defense, 3 1st round picks in the offensive backfield alone. 

Yeah, you put the 04 team up against the 2010 team that did win a national championship...it's not really even a contest.

What's more than people give credit for about that backfield is that both RBs went in the top 5 in the draft. Pretty sure that's the last time that's happened (there were actually 3 backs taken in the top 5 that year). And I know there was at least one member of the 04 offensive line who went on to NFL glory, because my man Ben Grubbs (who was a sophomore on that team) had a heck of a career with the Ravens and Saints. Carlos Rogers, Junior Rosegreen, T-Will...yeah, that was a special group.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 3:38 PM, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I was pretty hype for the game thinking "alright this is sec vs west coast and we played good against them the year before (or after) in Southern cal but regardless this is about pride!" and then we just got suffocated and demolished by what was clearly a more complete and better team. 

Yep I figured we would atleast be in the game until the 4th but just didn't even really show up.

That game though is what made me fall even more in love with Auburn and the atmosphere that we have on Saturdays is absolutely one of a kind. 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, you put the 04 team up against the 2010 team that did win a national championship...it's not really even a contest.

What's more than people give credit for about that backfield is that both RBs went in the top 5 in the draft. Pretty sure that's the last time that's happened (there were actually 3 backs taken in the top 5 that year). And I know there was at least one member of the 04 offensive line who went on to NFL glory, because my man Ben Grubbs (who was a sophomore on that team) had a heck of a career with the Ravens and Saints. Carlos Rogers, Junior Rosegreen, T-Will...yeah, that was a special group.

I think it would be closer then you are letting on, remember 2010 had some great players too.

The one difference maker imo is Cam. Nobody was beating Cam that year.

While our Defense in 04 was an absolute beast they were not used to a running QB like Cam so he would have the edge on that. Not saying 10 team would win but just saying it would be a lot closer then what we are thinking it would be. 

Edited by autiger88

On 5/10/2022 at 11:26 AM, autiger88 said:

I think it would be closer then you are letting on, remember 2010 had some great players too.

While our Defense in 04 was an absolute beast they were not used to a running QB like Cam so he would have the edge on that. Not saying 10 team would win but just saying it would be a lot closer then what we are thinking it would be. 

The only way for the 2010 team to hang with the 04 team is for Cam to flat go off for virtually an entire game. Against a really smart defensive team that would likely recognize how outmatched their opponents were on the other side of the ball and just work on breaking even with the superstar QB. Then you've got Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams running the ball behind Marcus McNeil and Ben Grubbs, Jason Campbell throwing to Obomanu, Aromashadu, Mix, and Taylor...against Nick Fairley.

I just don't see the 2010 team hanging in enough to SuperCam through it. The 04 Auburn team is better than *any* team from the 2010 season, hands down. There aren't too many teams in all of history that I would put up there with that group.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

In order for the 2010 team to hang with the 04 team is for Cam to flat go off for virtually an entire game. Against a really smart defensive team that would likely recognize how outmatched their opponents were on the other side of the ball and just work on breaking even with the superstar QB. Then you've got Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams running the ball behind Marcus McNeil and Ben Grubbs, Jason Campbell throwing to Obomanu, Aromashadu, Mix, and Taylor...against Nick Fairley.

I just don't see the 2010 team hanging in enough to SuperCam through it. The 04 Auburn team is better than *any* team from the 2010 season, hands down. There aren't too many teams in all of history that I would put up there with that group.

I'm not gonna argue with you brother just pointing out that I think it would be closer then you think. 🤷

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

I'm not gonna argue with you brother just pointing out that I think it would be closer then you think. 🤷

Meh, it's May, this is nothing but bluster. The truth is that we'll never know, because those teams didn't exist at the same time. I just think a lot of the 04 team. The 2010 couldn't be counted out, because with Cam and that veteran O-line, they were in everything...I just think the 04 team was too balanced.

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Meh, it's May, this is nothing but bluster. The truth is that we'll never know, because those teams didn't exist at the same time. I just think a lot of the 04 team. The 2010 couldn't be counted out, because with Cam and that veteran O-line, they were in everything...I just think the 04 team was too balanced.

I know I wish we could have them all dress one more time and play that game but they all old now and it wouldn't be as fun 🤣

I do agree though the 04 team is one of my favorite all time teams but that 10 team was also something special to watch and they actually got the chance to play for it all and accomplished the job. Not saying 04 wouldn't have just saying 2010 made up for 04 for me. Don't get me wrong I'm still a little bitter about my 04 team not getting the chance because I really do believe we would have put up a way better fight then OK did but close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades unfortunately. I still think we should share the 04 title with OK but for some odd reason we havent claimed it and it does hurt that we haven't. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, autiger88 said:

I may be in the minority, but I just don't think so. I think that 2004 team was this year's UGA team with 2 top 5 NFL RB picks and a 1t round QB on the other side. I loved the 2010 team and it is hard to bet against Cam against anyone, but I honestly feel like if they played 10 times 04 wins 7 of 10. Just too powerful. I think the 04 Defense had the speed and playmakers at all levels to be able to contain Cam to 24 points. I feel like JC, Lac, Ronnie, Ben and Devin and Courtney could put 30 up all day on that 2010 Defense. 

I am not saying that 04 team would throttle 2010 team, but I believe they win 7 of 10. Only reason I give 2010 3 wins is Cam and Fairley

• Like 1