Auburn's Starting Quarterback will be...

Zeek

Who will be the starting quarterback game 1 of the season?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start game 1 against Mercer?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/29/2022 at 07:17 PM

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

If a guy who couldn't even get into a game in two years at Oregon turns out to be our best QB, we are in deeper doo-doo than I thought.

We couldn’t be in deeper doo-doo than you think we are JK

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CCTAU said:

You are right. Because if a kid can’t start day one, no way in hell he gets better! Right?

Players can get better, obviously. Those with potential usually show some indication of it.

A good friend, 5th generation AU and his wife, I think she's only second generation AU and I were discussing the QB situation over coffee the other day. After all the BS, she summed it up very well. "If Geriner redshirts, then no matter which ones play, Auburn's QB this season will be one who was unsuccessful at his previous school".

That's a little something to chew on right there.

• Like 1

I'm trying to understand why people believe the true freshman has a snowballs chance in hell of playing in anything but mop up duty this year? And even then, why would Harsin put him out there?

I think TJ starts game 1 just because he's been in the system and probably improved. If he stinks it up then Calzada comes in. 

Edited by GTNupe11
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

none of the above, all four will be injured by start of the year and Tank Bigsby will be the starter at qb / rb from the wildcat

As long as he NEVER performs the twirly bird, I can live with that scenario. 

17 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Please don't tell me you're still on the D Davis hype train.  Guy couldn't get another P5 or even a top G5 offer.

It’s not so much about D.Davis being great. It’s about the fact that he’d rather have TJ, who is already like Frankenstein’s monster, sit back there and try to win a game against one of the most talent rich defenses in the country than use a guy who “doesn’t fit his system”, but has tools that could have helped seal the game for us. 

• Like 2

Never understand why some folks can’t just say their preference without tearing players down. It gets ridiculous. I am going with Calzada only because in my limited experience seeing all of them, he has played at the highest ceiling. TJ has the edge because he has been here the longest. Ashford has a lot of potential with his dual threat ability. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

I'm trying to understand why people believe the true freshman has a snowballs chance in hell of playing in anything but mop up duty this year? And even then, why would Harsin put him out there?

I think TJ starts game 1 just because he's been in the system and probably improved. If he stinks it up then Calzada comes in. 

Because Harsin started his two main QB's at Boise as true frosh. In fairness, I think Rypien may have come in for injury but never relinquished the job. Obviously, those were different circumstances in a lesser conference, but he has a track record of playing the guy who is best regardless of experience 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

but has tools that could have helped seal the game for us.

Lmao. He doesn't, that why he was never an option and behind Grant Loy.

Dreams of DD being a good player last year is pure fantasy 

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Never understand why some folks can’t just say their preference without tearing players down. It gets ridiculous. I am going with Calzada only because in my limited experience seeing all of them, he has played at the highest ceiling. TJ has the edge because he has been here the longest. Ashford has a lot of potential with his dual threat ability. 

I think we can be honest and critical of players games, but agree when criticism starts to cross the line into personal attacks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I respectfully disagree on that. IMO in the Bama game all u needed was about two first downs and the game is probably over. A few zone read packages in which he aids Tank in the run game. U wouldn’t be asking him to run the full playbook. Those last few positions in regulation the offense was stuck in neutral. Anyways it’s a moot point. It’s 2022 moving on

• Like 2

1 minute ago, e808 said:

I respectfully disagree on that. IMO in the Bama game all u needed was about two first downs and the game is probably over. A few zone read packages in which he aids Tank in the run game. U wouldn’t be asking him to run the full playbook. Those last few positions in regulation the offense was stuck in neutral. Anyways it’s a moot point. It’s 2022 moving on

Yes, inserting a TrFr QB into the Iron Bowl in a key situation to run blatantly obvious running plays behind the SEC worst run blocking OL is a great idea. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think we can be honest and critical of players games, but agree when criticism starts to cross the line into personal attacks.

Right I am for critical statements such as the below average completion percentage from Calzada. But the theatrics that people say when stating an opinion is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yes, inserting a TrFr QB into the Iron Bowl in a key situation to run blatantly obvious running plays behind the SEC worst run blocking OL is a great idea. 

All I have say is nothing from nothing leaves not. The results were already negative🤷🏿‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Because Harsin started his two main QB's at Boise as true frosh. In fairness, I think Rypien may have come in for injury but never relinquished the job. Obviously, those were different circumstances in a lesser conference, but he has a track record of playing the guy who is best regardless of experience 

One of the two you mentioned is the same as TJ/Calzada. They came in when starter went down. With 4 potential QB’s , I don’t see how Geriner gets enough snaps with 1’s to show he is better.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Once again. I didn’t say whether he was or wasn’t a good player. But I refuse to believe that the way TJ had played up to the Bama game and being injured, he was a better option than Loy or Davis. If Davis couldn’t come in and run the simpleton plays that we saw in the Bama game, then we should be asking why we didn’t have more than 2 QBs that could hand it to Tank and throw a screen to Hunter or out route to JSS. 

I have mad respect for TJ pushing through that game. But he shouldn’t have  been in there after it became apparent that his immobility was hindering the offense.  

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Because those who are allegedly in front of him have had opportunities and done nothing with them. The true freshman was a top of the line prospect out of high school. If those older guys do what they've done in the past and fail to produce, the youngster should get a shot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, CCTAU said:

As long as he NEVER performs the twirly bird, I can live with that scenario. 

I'm not sure if Stat tiger is still around but it would be genuinely interesting to go back and statistically analyze every single whirly bird play and see what it netted yard wise and do a break down of such numbers wise

6 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

He should put him there if he is in fact balling out in practice and showing the skillset of a winner and is deemed capable. It is absolutely not unheard of for sec programs to start true freshman at qb by any means. Of course I like a qb with experience but if that qb isn't able to grow and subvert his norms and reflex tendencies then the flip side is programs also have a full year to analyze the qbs weaknesses 

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Leaving a 1 legged statue in the game wasn't the best of ideas either. But it's the path Harsin chose.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Players can get better, obviously. Those with potential usually show some indication of it.

A good friend, 5th generation AU and his wife, I think she's only second generation AU and I were discussing the QB situation over coffee the other day. After all the BS, she summed it up very well. "If Geriner redshirts, then no matter which ones play, Auburn's QB this season will be one who was unsuccessful at his previous school".

That's a little something to chew on right there.

On 4/14/2022 at 8:32 AM, Mikey said:

I have a friend who is a 4th generation Auburn grad. His wife is "only" a 2nd generation AU grad. The three of us were discussing the AU QB situation over coffee the other day and as usual, when we guys were done blabbing, she stepped up and quickly cut to the chase. Says she: "If Holden Geriner is redshirted, then we are guaranteed to have a quarterback who was unsuccessful at his previous school."

Sad but true.

So , 5th or 4th generation (and what does that matter anyway)? That’s a long discussion of quarterback play. I hope you were able to keep the coffee fresh. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

He should put him there if he is in fact balling out in practice and showing the skillset of a winner and is deemed capable. It is absolutely not unheard of for sec programs to start true freshman at qb by any means. Of course I like a qb with experience but if that qb isn't able to grow and subvert his norms and reflex tendencies then the flip side is programs also have a full year to analyze the qbs weaknesses 

I mean, fair enough, but if people are basing any of this off of A-Day then that is concerning. If he's THAT good then Harsin should play him. I just don't think he's there yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Because those who are allegedly in front of him have had opportunities and done nothing with them. The true freshman was a top of the line prospect out of high school. If those older guys do what they've done in the past and fail to produce, the youngster should get a shot.

I get it. He isn't the first QB to come in here highly rated. He won't be the last. I'd be interested in hearing your take on the "older guys have had opportunities and done nothing with them." What opportunities have they had and are they exempt from improving? 

Edited by GTNupe11

5 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

I get it. He isn't the first QB to come in here highly rated. He won't be the last. I'd be interested in hearing your take on the "older guys have had opportunities and done nothing with them." What opportunities have they had and are they exempt from improving? 

Here are their opportunities:

Finley has had his chances at both LSU and AU. Calzada only got to play at A&M because the starter got hurt. He left there for AU because it was obvious he would not be the starter next year.

Ashford was at Oregon two full seasons and never earned a single play in a game.

None of them are exempt from improving. Geriner isn't either and unlike the others he has yet to disappoint.

5 hours ago, aubearcat said:

So , 5th or 4th generation (and what does that matter anyway)? That’s a long discussion of quarterback play. I hope you were able to keep the coffee fresh. 

Same discussion. "The other day" covers a lot of time. Those familiar with the written word understand this.  Apologies for missing a year on the guy.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1