Jump to content
Null

Auburn's Starting Quarterback will be...


Who will be the starting quarterback game 1 of the season?  

112 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will start game 1 against Mercer?


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 08/29/2022 at 07:17 PM

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

One of the two you mentioned is the same as TJ/Calzada. They came in when starter went down. With 4 potential QB’s , I don’t see how Geriner gets enough snaps with 1’s to show he is better.

I ultimately agree. I think Calzada wins it and he redshirts. However, I don't get the vibe that it's foregone that he will. As a young guy, he's probably got the most room for growth this summer. And Harsin's supposedly in football love with him. Just wouldn't be surprised if he's given every chance to take the job, but not expecting it

Link to comment
Share on other sites





9 hours ago, Mikey said:

 

Same discussion. "The other day" covers a lot of time. Those familiar with the written word understand this. (Ahh, good ole condescension)  Apologies for missing a year on the guy.

So if this thread is brought up again in 5 years, it can be said that Mikey and Cat were talking about this just the other day? Five years seems like “a lot of time” but not extreme. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

So if this thread is brought up again in 5 years, it can be said that Mikey and Cat were talking about this just the other day? Five years seems like “a lot of time” but not extreme. 

Five years isn't "the other day". Less than a month is. Are you truly this dense?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mikey said:

Five years isn't "the other day". Less than a month is. Are you truly this dense?

Nope, just calling out what looks like obvious bs. This good coffee buddy that you’re such good pals with that you keep telling the same story about that you use the same timeline (the other day) but can’t keep the story straight (4or 5 generations, as if that matters or is relevant to qb play or the football program). The other day, for most I know, is within a week. You’re words were “a lot of time”. I’m using your words, not mine. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Nope, just calling out what looks like obvious bs. This good coffee buddy that you’re such good pals with that you keep telling the same story about that you use the same timeline (the other day) but can’t keep the story straight (4or 5 generations, as if that matters or is relevant to qb play or the football program). The other day, for most I know, is within a week. You’re words were “a lot of time”. I’m using your words, not mine. 

You're a hoot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You're a hoot!

TBH the generational AU grad comment did come off as a little sanctimonious. Since when did an engineering or ag science degree qualify to accurately evaluate QB play?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

Here are their opportunities:

Finley has had his chances at both LSU and AU. Calzada only got to play at A&M because the starter got hurt. He left there for AU because it was obvious he would not be the starter next year.

Ashford was at Oregon two full seasons and never earned a single play in a game.

None of them are exempt from improving. Geriner isn't either and unlike the others he has yet to disappoint.

 

Same discussion. "The other day" covers a lot of time. Those familiar with the written word understand this.  Apologies for missing a year on the guy.

Ashford was at Oregon for two seasons -- true.  However, the 2020 year (his true freshman) can't be considered a "full" season due to the pandemic. PAC-12 initially said they were cancelling the entire season before relenting in late Sept -- they ended up playing a 7-game season.  In spring of 2021, Ashford played in 20 baseball games for Oregon instead of playing in the spring game.  So, it's hardly surprising he didn't see the field in 2021.  Since transferring to AU, Ashford has given up attempting 2-sports in college to focus on football.  That's a sign of maturity in my book.  Ashford is my guess/prediction to be the starter in 2022.       

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Ashford was at Oregon for two seasons -- true.  However, the 2020 year (his true freshman) can't be considered a "full" season due to the pandemic. PAC-12 initially said they were cancelling the entire season before relenting in late Sept -- they ended up playing a 7-game season.  In spring of 2021, Ashford played in 20 baseball games for Oregon instead of playing in the spring game.  So, it's hardly surprising he didn't see the field in 2021.  Since transferring to AU, Ashford has given up attempting 2-sports in college to focus on football.  That's a sign of maturity in my book.  Ashford is my guess/prediction to be the starter in 2022.       

Well thought out post. Ashford certainly looked most promising of the QB’s that played A day. Especially when understanding the time he has had with the offense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

TBH the generational AU grad comment did come off as a little sanctimonious. Since when did an engineering or ag science degree qualify to accurately evaluate QB play?

Sanctimonious? I thought people here might find it interesting. If not, it's easy enough to scroll on past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well the one thing about it is we've been handcuffed by poor QB play for years so if anybody can be accurate or consistent it will be the first time in a long time we actually have had a decent offense. 

What nobody has thought about or at least have openly discussed is how the team may improve if any of the QB's are able to become leaders and win a team over. The intangibles of a QB is very important as well and we have also been lacking in that. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2022 at 4:04 PM, CodeRocket said:

I voted for Calzada named as the starter for game one, mainly because of ticket sales.

I have heard a some people say they won't buy a ticket if TJ is named the starter.

Ashford - Don't pay any attention to A-day performances. If he is named the starter it will be because of what he does in fall practice.

Geriner - A true freshman starting behind this years O-line? I hope not, for the sake of his career.

Harsin may be "as stubborn as a mule", but if this team doesn't demonstrate meaningful improvement and win some games, he might be looking for a new pasture in 2023.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

TJ almost certainly won't be the starter, but it has absolutely nothing to do with ticket sales The tickets to the big games are already sold, they just aren't necessarily to their final owner yet because they'll get sold on stubhub or something. I'm not sure there are even any tickets left with the school for the throw away games by this point, but I guarantee that the SEC games and the Penn State game are already sold out.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Rednilla said:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

TJ almost certainly won't be the starter, but it has absolutely nothing to do with ticket sales The tickets to the big games are already sold, they just aren't necessarily to their final owner yet because they'll get sold on stubhub or something. I'm not sure there are even any tickets left with the school for the throw away games by this point, but I guarantee that the SEC games and the Penn State game are already sold out.

I agree. I feel like it will be Calzada to lose if he comes back healthy and handles the playbook well.  The idea that majority won’t show up if T.J. is the QB is the theatrics what I am talking about. I am sure a select few won’t.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect Calzada just because Harsin brought him in to be the starter. If he fails to grab the job then my hope is that Ashford will have come far enough along to be given a try. And that Harsin will be able to use Ashford's athletic ability to help hide the other weaknesses of the offense. Im in the camp that TJ is not the answer at QB so i'm hoping against hope that the QBs that i have not seen stink it up are actually an improvement. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I agree. I feel like it will be Calzada to lose if he comes back healthy and handles the playbook well.  The idea that majority won’t show up if T.J. is the QB is the theatrics what I am talking about. I am sure a select few won’t.

Anyone who is going to legitimately decide whether they want to support the team or not based upon whether TJ Finley is the starting quarterback really needs to look themselves in the mirror and ask why they love Auburn.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Anyone who is going to legitimately decide whether they want to support the team or not based upon whether TJ Finley is the starting quarterback really needs to look themselves in the mirror and ask why they love Auburn.

I would say the same about HC too.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's assume it's Fall camp and for the sake of discussion the passing skills of all 3 QBs end up roughly the same, +or-60%. That they all know the playbook and can all demonstrate equal levels of leadership. Then you have their athletic ability. The ability to get out of trouble, to run the ball if necessary, to scramble and make something out of nothing. 

In my book that narrows it down to 2 QBs, Ashford and Calzada. I don't know how Calzada will handle coming off a shoulder injury and how it will effect his running ability. I do know that Ashford has shown he is an athlete. You can see it as soon as he walks on the field, he can make things happen with his legs. We'll see how Calzada looks in Fall camp with that aspect, but I think Ashford is going to be hard to beat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Let's assume it's Fall camp and for the sake of discussion the passing skills of all 3 QBs end up roughly the same, +or-60%. That they all know the playbook and can all demonstrate equal levels of leadership. Then you have their athletic ability. The ability to get out of trouble, to run the ball if necessary, to scramble and make something out of nothing. 

In my book that narrows it down to 2 QBs, Ashford and Calzada. I don't know how Calzada will handle coming off a shoulder injury and how it will effect his running ability. I do know that Ashford has shown he is an athlete. You can see it as soon as he walks on the field, he can make things happen with his legs. We'll see how Calzada looks in Fall camp with that aspect, but I think Ashford is going to be hard to beat.

Ashford is expected to have certain packages to get him in the game, regardless of anything going on with Calzada and Geriner (who is the one really pushing Calzada, according to my intel).

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Ashford is expected to have certain packages to get him in the game, regardless of anything going on with Calzada and Geriner (who is the one really pushing Calzada, according to my intel).

I excluded Geriner only because he is a Freshman but that is interesting information. I'm pretty sure G will be the starter next year though. I have gravitated to Ashley, for the reasons I stated, so we'll see. Thanks for that info, this should be a good competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

Let's assume it's Fall camp and for the sake of discussion the passing skills of all 3 QBs end up roughly the same, +or-60%. That they all know the playbook and can all demonstrate equal levels of leadership. Then you have their athletic ability. The ability to get out of trouble, to run the ball if necessary, to scramble and make something out of nothing. 

In my book that narrows it down to 2 QBs, Ashford and Calzada. I don't know how Calzada will handle coming off a shoulder injury and how it will effect his running ability. I do know that Ashford has shown he is an athlete. You can see it as soon as he walks on the field, he can make things happen with his legs. We'll see how Calzada looks in Fall camp with that aspect, but I think Ashford is going to be hard to beat.

Something I'm curious on is which helps an OL more... an athletic QB that can scramble out of the pocket, or a less mobile QB known for quick decision making and release that distributes the football quickly. Ashford is the former, and Geriner the latter. Calzada is the gunslinger.

Imo the questions are can Geriner push the ball downfield, can Calzada become less erratic in the short passing game, and can Ashford improve on his supposed tendency to bail early if his first reads not there

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, au302 said:

Something I'm curious on is which helps an OL more... an athletic QB that can scramble out of the pocket, or a less mobile QB known for quick decision making and release that distributes the football quickly.

Pretty sure it depends upon the line and the QB being on the same page, but both can work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been telling all of you for months Geriner is the real deal.  Would like to put that stake in the ground.  Still accepting tickets to get on the bus.

giphy.gif.1c7e54ad4c6a827555d23b823baf2be2.gif

Unless your name is @AuburnbasketballGuru.  Sadly we ran out of tickets for sale.

rWe-7t.gif.159225ff4c61b1c179dcaa7213d27e1f.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Been telling all of you for months Geriner is the real deal.  Would like to put that stake in the ground.  Still accepting tickets to get on the bus.

giphy.gif.1c7e54ad4c6a827555d23b823baf2be2.gif

Unless your name is @AuburnbasketballGuru.  Sadly we ran out of tickets for sale.

rWe-7t.gif.159225ff4c61b1c179dcaa7213d27e1f.gif

I've never doubted that Geriner was the real deal, but I would rather someone else win the competition for the beginning of this season. I think he'll probably be ready to take over somewhere midseason if needs be, but the SEC eats true freshman QBs for breakfast, so it would/will be a baptism by fire if he's forced into action this season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I've never doubted that Geriner was the real deal, but I would rather someone else win the competition for the beginning of this season. I think he'll probably be ready to take over somewhere midseason if needs be, but the SEC eats true freshman QBs for breakfast, so it would/will be a baptism by fire if he's forced into action this season.

Oh I completely understand.  I was just tooting my own horn a little bit.  :bananadance:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...