Baseball vs Arkansas

5 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Was at the game.  Was a blast.

question - was the home plate ump inconsistent with his strike zone?

Home plate ump was the most inconsistent I have seen in a long while.  Neither team received a fair shake at the plate in this game. TRO, I will edit one of your posts.   Mason's ball in the eighth wasn't a grounder -- it was a called suicide squeeze.   Great call by Butch -- he didn't put it on on the first pitch and the pitcher threw a ball.   With 2 on, Butch felt a fast ball was coming next, and he put it on.   Mason didn't get the greatest bunt down as the pitcher was able to field it.  But, it was to the pitcher's glove side and 15 feet or so off the mound so the pitcher had to do a 180 after fielding it to make the throw.   In the 180 he lost where his catcher was and the throw wasn't close and went all the way to the backstop allowing the runners to get to 2nd and 3rd.  Next, they gave Cole the green light on a 3-0 count (which I love), and he fouled the 4th pitch straight back.  On the fifth pitch he hit a ball to deep center that easily scored the second run of the inning.   Big props to Carson Swilling who got the save and pitched either 2 or 3 innings of no hit ball.   We probably hit 5 balls on the nose this game that all found gloves.   Sonny's home run was hit as hard as a ball can be hit.  Great graduation walks and then an AU W.   Great day on the plains.  War Eagle.     

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Home plate ump was the most inconsistent I have seen in a long while.  Neither team received a fair shake at the plate in this game. TRO, I will edit one of your posts.   Mason's ball in the eighth wasn't a grounder -- it was a called suicide squeeze.   Great call by Butch -- he didn't put it on on the first pitch and the pitcher threw a ball.   With 2 on, Butch felt a fast ball was coming next, and he put it on.   Mason didn't get the greatest bunt down as the pitcher was able to field it.  But, it was to the pitcher's glove side and 15 feet or so off the mound so the pitcher had to do a 180 after fielding it to make the throw.   In the 180 he lost where his catcher was and the throw wasn't close and went all the way to the backstop allowing the runners to get to 2nd and 3rd.  Next, they gave Cole the green light on a 3-0 count (which I love), and he fouled the 4th pitch straight back.  On the fifth pitch he hit a ball to deep center that easily scored the second run of the inning.   Big props to Carson Swilling who got the save and pitched either 2 or 3 innings of no hit ball.   We probably hit 5 balls on the nose this game that all found gloves.   Sonny's home run was hit as hard as a ball can be hit.  Great graduation walks and then an AU W.   Great day on the plains.  War Eagle.     

Thanks for confirming the strike zone.  I counted at least 3 walks that should have been strike outs.  Arky didn’t get some calls either.

fwiw, the bunt was all gabe gross.  He stopped he game, inserted Farquhar and land for the bunt.  

We got a few guys that aren’t seeing the ball.  Hope the bats work for gonzo.

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

And this is what I love most about baseball.......the strategy and a successful suicide squeeze. It's my favorite play in baseball and I think it's amazing how many times it actually works out.

Butch is a just a great coach. 

I would also like to say how much I like the job that Nate Larue is doing behind the plate. He's doing a fine job of picking off runners trying to steal 2nd this season, and he's improved his batting average in the process. What a weapon he's become for Auburn! 

• Like 2

Happy this morning and another beautiful day in the making for East Alabama. Great Mother’s Day to all moms out there.

Catching the radio broadcast this afternoon. Agreed to drive down to the coast with Ms Salty.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Thanks for confirming the strike zone.  I counted at least 3 walks that should have been strike outs.  Arky didn’t get some calls either.

fwiw, the bunt was all gabe gross.  He stopped he game, inserted Farquhar and land for the bunt.  

We got a few guys that aren’t seeing the ball.  Hope the bats work for gonzo.

Stache, the 3rd base coach doesn't get to make that call.  Maybe in a mid-week game...   But, down the stretch in a tied SEC game in the bottom of the 8th, it comes from the top.   Gabe may have suggested it first to Butch when they were standing on the 3rd base line making the substitutions (which took a minute), but Butch makes the ultimate call.   He signals the call the Gabe and Gabe signals it to the players.   My guess is Mason is one of the better bunters on the team.   If I recall the scoreboard correctly, he was hitting .197 at the time with only 3 hits on the year.  Let's get the series win today.   As Salty said, happy Mother's Day to all the moms who keep everything on the rails.  

10 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

And this is what I love most about baseball.......the strategy and a successful suicide squeeze. It's my favorite play in baseball and I think it's amazing how many times it actually works out.

Butch is a just a great coach. 

I would also like to say how much I like the job that Nate Larue is doing behind the plate. He's doing a fine job of picking off runners trying to steal 2nd this season, and he's improved his batting average in the process. What a weapon he's become for Auburn! 

Judd and Will Holland were great at that kind of bunt. Been a while since I've seen one done well.

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs Arkansas

Man, what a horrible weekend for the blue’s behind the plate. I lost count of how any missed calls with two strikes cost AU pitchers an out.  At least 7 or 8 from Friday and today alone. Didnt notice near as many the other way. Not to mention all the other bad calls. We must have gotten the 8th ranked crew, or a high school crew since their regular seasons are over. Frustrating for the team/staff, I could notice. 

Anybody that was there or had TV access: What happened to Gonzalez? I had come to expect a low scoring game when he was on the mound for AU, but he got blasted! Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Anybody that was there or had TV access: What happened to Gonzalez? I had come to expect a low scoring game when he was on the mound for AU, but he got blasted! Thoughts?

Listening to a little of the post game interview with Thompson, sounded like he just had an off game. Thompson was talking about how he struggled even in the first inning. I think Thompson said location was an issue and he kept getting behind on batters. I didn't get a chance to listen until later in the game so I missed the innings he was pitching.  

• Thanks 1

We need a good 3 of 4 this week. I'd love to see a 4-0 but I'll take 3-1.

• Like 1