Softball SEC Tournament

Gotta say that's the worst draw available in our first round.  Can't believe UK is the 4 seed - I think we're better than they are.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Gotta say that's the worst draw available in our first round.  Can't believe UK is the 4 seed - I think we're better than they are.

I think they've been a bit more consistent than us lately.  

• Like 1

Well just hope our girls see the ball well and light it up offensively.  

• Like 1

If only the SEC Tournament wasn't filled with SEC teams we would probably do well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I find it interesting that Mizzou who finished with Alabama just yesterday may have to play them again within 4 days. I bet they aren't to happy either...

20 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I don't think it is subjective. They have the 4th best record and we have the 10th best record in the conference.

• Like 1

To quote an old axiom: "If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best." I have no problem with the tournament pairings. Will be some (more) great experience for this young team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

To quote an old axiom: "If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best." I have no problem with the tournament pairings. Will be some (more) great experience for this young team.

If that is the case I had rather just play T-Town or Arkansas right out the gate...

I had a bad feeling after the Friday game was cancelled and announced a double header on Saturday. It felt reminiscent of the Missouri series in 2018 when we ended up playing a double header on Saturday due to bad weather and got swept. I felt that series changed the trajectory of the 2018 season, so I hope the Tennessee series doesn’t change the trajectory of this one.

I’m interested to see how we come out on Wednesday. We have a few nagging injuries and no longer have a chance to host, so it might be best to rest as many days heading into regionals. I doubt the team shares a similar mentality though.

Missouri is a really inconsistent team, but they have a number of super seniors. Experience matters in the post season. I think it’ll be a close game, and I think we win if our pitchers can keep the ball inside the park. We need to limit errors and play loose at the plate.

For regionals, we likely end up at FSU or Clemson. If we can avoid FSU, I think our chances of a super regional greatly increase. 

The UT series was also reminiscent of the 2016 series there, with bad weather and postponements.  The best team in Auburn history lost 2 there, and the 3d was cancelled.  Our RPI is back to 28 now, so I think we are almost certain to draw FSU in regionals.  Missouri gave Alabama a very competitive series.  

I think the only shot of us not going to FSU again would be if the committee sent Mississippi State there instead, & us to Clemson because both are in the 400 mile range. Really hope we avoid Tallahassee again, although I think we'd do better than 0-2 like last year. 

I’m hopeful we get sent to Clemson over FSU, but I doubt it happens. Neither team hits a lot of HRs, which we have been susceptible to in our losses against good teams (Arkansas, UGA, Tennessee),  but FSU has better hitting, fielding, and defense against a harder schedule. I feel we could make a super against Clemson, but I don’t think we do against FSU.

37 minutes ago, TD1 said:

Godwin is the DP as I see Blaine's arm in a sling. 

Hoping that's just minor discomfort since she was the one who hit the homerun at the end of the last game. Don't think she would have been able to do that if she injured herself seriously.

• Like 1

Both teams get no runs in the 1st. Auburn then draws the bases loaded with one out in the 2nd. McCondichie flies out and then Lisenby gets thrown out at home to end the threat. Too often, Dean sends the runner home when he shouldn't. SMH

0-0 B2nd.

Edited by tgrogan21

Penta gets a flyout, hits the next batter, strikes out the batter after.

She falls behind 3-0 to the nine hole batter batting .170 but battles back and gets a strike out looking!

Packer, Garcia, Peralta coming up.

0-0 T3rd

Penta is 6th all time in single season strikeouts with 251! Next up has 269.

Edited by tgrogan21

Packer strikes out swinging.

Garcia with a single! Wasn't hit hard enough to roll to the wall and allow her to get to 2nd.

Peralta draws a full count. She strikes out swinging, though.

Been a long time since Ellis has hit her last home run. Would really love it here. She's getting good contact but just very early and driving everything foul. Another full count ... strike out looking. :(

0-0 B3rd

Penta with a full count walk. Just missed but Dean is out to talk to the ump to find out where that last pitch missed.

Falls behind 2-0 and Penta takes her mask off, Peralta throws her hands up, and Lisenby has to come out to talk to Penta. She's frustrated right now. Comes back and gets a fly out to shallow LF.

Penta hits another batter. Gotta be better with the control!

Line out to Peralta at SS, she throws back to 1st and Ellis has to leap to catch the throw. Good grief, we're making everything so hard right now.

Single and a great job from Garcia throwing it in quickly to hold the runners. Bases loaded, 2 outs ...

Come on, Auburn.

PENTA WITH A CLUTCH STRIKE OUT!!

Lisenby, Cox, Godwin coming up

0-0 T4th

Edited by tgrogan21

Lisenby with a single down the line! Again, not enough to roll to the wall, though. All 3 hits have been down that line. Cooper runs for Lisenby.

Nice diving play by Missouri as she's able to get Cooper out at 2nd. Cox is safe at first.

Godwin fouls out. Can't get a hit when we have runners on.

Schmidt flies out.

0-0 B4th

Another full count for Penta but a strike out this time!

Penta is really struggling with her control. Falls behind 3-0 to the 8 hole hitter. Lisenby goes out to talk to her. 4 pitch walk. Penta has walked or hit someone every inning.

3 pitch strike out to the 9 hole hitter. That's what you have to do!

Wild pitch moves the runner up. And a pinch runner coming in.

Double, run scores. Giving up walks comes back to bite Penta in the ass.

1-0 Missouri

Gets ahead 0-2 then goes to a full count. And another walk. That's 4 walks and 2 batters hit. 90 pitches for Penta.

Another full count ... 9 pitch at bat ends in a pop out.

McCondichie, Packer, Garcia up. Come on, Tigers, help out your pitcher!

1-0 Missouri T5th

Edited by tgrogan21