SEC Coaches Ranked

AU-24

At least he is not last.

13. Bryan Harsin, Auburn: He won 69 games in seven seasons at Boise State, including three Mountain West Titles. However, Harsin’s first year on the Plains was very underwhelming. Not only did the Tigers suffer their first losing season since 2012, but Harsin was investigated about his conduct within the program. Auburn also ended 2021 on a five-game losing streak. Three-year starting quarterback Bo Nix transferred after the Tigers finished 11th in the SEC in total offense. In response, Harsin fired Offensive Coordinator Mike Bobo. Austin Davis replaced Bobo, but only stayed on the job for six weeks before Harsin promoted Eric Kiesau in his absence. Harsin replaced Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason with Jeff Schmedding, and landed quarterback Zach Calzada from the transfer portal for a fresh start.

https://stayaliveinpower5.com/2022/05/10/ranking-the-secs-best-coaches-of-2022/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

At least he is not last.

13. Bryan Harsin, Auburn: He won 69 games in seven seasons at Boise State, including three Mountain West Titles. However, Harsin’s first year on the Plains was very underwhelming. Not only did the Tigers suffer their first losing season since 2012, but Harsin was investigated about his conduct within the program. Auburn also ended 2021 on a five-game losing streak. Three-year starting quarterback Bo Nix transferred after the Tigers finished 11th in the SEC in total offense. In response, Harsin fired Offensive Coordinator Mike Bobo. Austin Davis replaced Bobo, but only stayed on the job for six weeks before Harsin promoted Eric Kiesau in his absence. Harsin replaced Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason with Jeff Schmedding, and landed quarterback Zach Calzada from the transfer portal for a fresh start.

https://stayaliveinpower5.com/2022/05/10/ranking-the-secs-best-coaches-of-2022/

Why can’t we just drive the Brinks truck up to Lexington and back it into Stoops driveway? 

• Like 1

I’d say this is fair for now. I probably would have moved him up a couple of spots if we had a better showing in the transfer portal. But if you can’t win games and you can’t get commits or transfers, there is no choice but to put him in that spot for now. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Really... god Sept. can't get here soon enough 

image.png

Good Ol " Talking Season", as Spurrier called it..... You just can't beat this time of year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Why can’t we just drive the Brinks truck up to Lexington and back it into Stoops driveway? 

I think Stoops is a good coach, but he also seems like he fits well at a school like Kentucky and will get swallowed up if he gets to a "bigger" school with real expectations.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’d say this is fair for now. I probably would have moved him up a couple of spots if we had a better showing in the transfer portal. But if you can’t win games and you can’t get commits or transfers, there is no choice but to put him in that spot for now. 

Maybe one could move Harsin above Drinkwitz at Mizzou, but Drinkwitz doesn't have nearly the advantages that Harsin enjoys at AU.

In 2021 there were three new SEC coaches. Heupel took a 3-7 team at Tennessee and improved them to 7-6. Beamer took a 2-8 team at South Carolina and improved them to 7-6. Harsin took a 6-5 team at Auburn and took them down to 6-7. No way could Harsin be moved ahead of either of those. Throw in recruiting, which has AU at 9th in the SEC in regular recruiting and 28th in the country in portal acquisitions and Harsin's 13th ranking in the SEC seems spot-on.

• Like 4

If I was basing the list of coaches i would want to coach at AU i would rank him higher. But based of results and future outlook i think its probably a good ranking. 

For example i would rather have Harsin instead of either Kiffin or Leach. But i would probably not rank Harsin ahead of either in terms of results and likely hood of future success at their current schools. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, gravejd said:

If I was basing the list of coaches i would want to coach at AU i would rank him higher. But based of results and future outlook i think its probably a good ranking. 

For example i would rather have Harsin instead of either Kiffin or Leach. But i would probably not rank Harsin ahead of either in terms of results and likely hood of future success at their current schools. 

Good logic. Agree 100% on Leach. 

46 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'd take Kiffin in a heartbeat over almost any SEC HC other than KS/NS & maybe...... Brian Kelly (I'm undecided on him.)

The SEC just doesn't have a plethora of elite HC's right now.  Not like 10-12 yrs ago with Pinkle/Miles/Meyer/Spurrier/Petrino/Mullen/Nutt/Saban/Freeze/Richt/Chizik/Malzhan who all alternated with some dang strong teams, rotated around the SEC championships & some NC winners mixed in.  

Harsins biggest problem is talent acquisition  counts for probably 75% of a college HCs main job. Other SEC schools realize this and have hired coaches they think are good at it. AU knew the roster had holes due to Gus’s mismanagement and hired a coach that if anything has made it worse. I just dont see how that aspect was brushed aside when hiring Harsin.

Edited by CR
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Auburn isn't smart enough to grab either kiffen or the pirate. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I agree with the ranking even though I like what I see Harsin trying to do.  Recruiting is the life blood of any sport and so far he and his staff have not stepped up to the plate. I don't think all of that is on him but it doesn't matter results count. The 2023 class will decide his future if he has a decent season on the field and has a really good class he will be on his way. If this class sucks even if it  is because of the stink around the false rumors or not getting NIL backing it doesn't matter as I said earlier results matter.

Bad class then his path is on the way out and it doesn't matter if he was screwed  or not screwed by boosters or others inside Auburn.  Part of the recruiting battle is getting support from boosters and people inside Auburn even if they didn't initially want you.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

4 minutes ago, CR said:

Harsins biggest problem is talent acquisition probably counts for probably 75% of a college HCs main job. Other SEC schools realize this and have hired coaches they think are good at it. AU knew the roster had holes due to Gus’s mismanagement and hired a coach that if anything has made it worse. I just dont see how that aspect was brushed aside when hiring Harsin.

It wasn't brushed aside when he was hired.  AU brought in Derrick Mason (DC), Mike Bobo (OC) + Will Friend on oline + retained Caddy on staff.  ALL of those coaches have many years of recruiting for the SEC and have have tons of experience on SEC teams where top talent is vital.  They all know the lay of the land and they've made inroads to the talent rich high schools across the region for years. 

Now Harsin slow playing recruiting for the first year while he evaluated the roster and the overall program didn't help recruiting and that crap in February gave the Auburn brand a black eye.  But word has it that our NIL collective has plenty of $$ to pay athletes and we can offer them packages that are competitive with our main rivals and there's plenty of $$ for the incoming players.  

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Maybe one could move Harsin above Drinkwitz at Mizzou, but Drinkwitz doesn't have nearly the advantages that Harsin enjoys at AU.

In 2021 there were three new SEC coaches. Heupel took a 3-7 team at Tennessee and improved them to 7-6. Beamer took a 2-8 team at South Carolina and improved them to 7-6. Harsin took a 6-5 team at Auburn and took them down to 6-7. No way could Harsin be moved ahead of either of those. Throw in recruiting, which has AU at 9th in the SEC in regular recruiting and 28th in the country in portal acquisitions and Harsin's 13th ranking in the SEC seems spot-on.

What was Kiffins and Leachs record their first year at Ole Miss and Miss St . Pitt Boss at Arky. Stoops first yr at KY?

Edited by NWALA Tiger

After 1 and 2, there is a pile of trash around the SEC.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What was Kiffins and Leachs record their first year at Ole Miss and Miss St . Pitt Boss at Arky. Stoops first yr at KY?

the difference is you could tangibly see the swing in recruiting that was taking place at Ole miss, Arkansas and Kentucky -- leach sort of sucks and I'm not sure why anyone would advocate having him at auburn which would demolish our running back u nomenclature but yet and still he did find a way to beat us last year.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

the difference is you could tangibly see the swing in recruiting that was taking place at Ole miss, Arkansas and Kentucky -- leach sort of sucks and I'm not sure why anyone would advocate having him at auburn which would demolish our running back u nomenclature but yet and still he did find a way to beat us last year.

C'mon man... Ole Miss, Miss St and Arky all finished BEHIND AU in recruiting rankings last cycle.How bout let's give Harsin at least 2 seasons before judging or wanting to run him off.. What evidence of a tangible recruiting swing did u see at Ole Miss, Arkansas, or Kentucky after Stoops 1st year. I would argue with all the visits of top notch talent to AU , that Harsin recruiting is on the upswing. Will they sign with us? Don't know, hence the let's give it a couple yrs and then mire him in the abyss with whoever Vandys coach is if no improvement is shown

Edited by NWALA Tiger

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I’d pack Harsin’s whole house up and load everything on a truck myself if it meant we could get Kiffin. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’d pack Harsin’s whole house up and load everything on a truck myself if it meant we could get Kiffin. 

What are u basing that off of?

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

But word has it that our NIL collective has plenty of $$ to pay athletes and we can offer them packages that are competitive with our main rivals and there's plenty of $$ for the incoming players.  

I have a feeling that “word” is horsesh*t. If it was true, we’d be gathering more players from the portal, because money talks. If we do have a competitive NIL setup and kids would rather just go play for someone else and make less, we have bigger problems.

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You would not be alone. I'm just not a fan of the guy. He can call a decent offense but i'm not sold on him running a program. He just lost about every assistant coach he had at Ol Miss this offseason and thats after a really good year there. I think he would use AU as a stepping stone to land at a "state" school and anyone that i see like that is a hard no for me on being the coach. With Kiffen you would either live in mediocrity or he would do well and dump you for a better job in a couple seasons.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What are u basing that off of?

Basing what off of? Wanting Kiffen? I’m basing it off of the fact that he is a well respected coach, he seems to have a vision, he may be the best offensive coach in the country,  and what he’s doing at Ole Miss is impressive. All Kiffin needs to be great is a football program with resources. I think he learned a ton from Saban about running a program and he’s primed to be one of the next great coaches.